Search results

1. TebbieBear

Want to upgrade on a budget

I bought this Amp https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-hta20bt-hybrid-stereo-tube-amplifier-with-bluetooth-42-usb-aux-in-headphone-s--300-3840 And these speakers https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652#! For my son for his birthday and...
  2. TebbieBear

Projector ceiling mount. Waste of money to buy an expensive one?

BenQ 1030s and 1040s do that, its just light spill not the actual image. Its also, no doubt, made to look much brighter in that image than it is IRL. I painted the celing flat black and I don't even notice it. The BenQ projectors are also made to mount close to the ceiling. The physical shift...
  3. TebbieBear

Do I really need a Thorens?

Yes. You do in fact need a Thorens.
  4. TebbieBear

Iowa meetup/listen at the theater

I'm really bummed. I'm nursing the after effects of a ear infection and listening to music is still rather unpleasant. I will for sure be at the next event. I really want to put faces to the names of a lot of the people I've been learning from for the last several years. I really hope someone...
  5. TebbieBear

Why are the older idler wheel turntables so highly regarded?

To them. They gave reasons why they preferred other types of tables. Just like you are stating a preference for Idlers. You can have your opinions but you need to let others have theirs as well. I think that I was the only one to specifically comment on the build quality of the DuaI tables and...
  6. TebbieBear

Why are the older idler wheel turntables so highly regarded?

I don't want to get into a whole "thing" about this but the Dual 1229, whilst a good turntable, is quite far in build and sound quality from a Lenco, EMT, TD124 or Garrard 301/401 level. Again I'm not saying its a bad table but judging all idlers based on the performance of a Dual is not really...
  7. TebbieBear

I've been working on building an active Iowa HiFi group on facebook for several years. We have a handful of members but not a lot of posting. I hope you have more success. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1097461146948620/
  8. TebbieBear

maybe what is wrong with TV shows

Are you serious? We are in a Renaissance of TV and streaming is a huge part of the reason that is happening. There is more depth, and overarching stories than have EVER been in TV before. Stranger Things The Haunting of Hill House Orange is the New Black Russian Doll Peaky Blinders Narcos...
  9. TebbieBear

Assuming I can make it, I could bring some records, my Thorens TD 124, and/or my Adcom GFA 5800 if there was enough interest. I would love to bring my speakers but our current "large" car is a Mini Cooper so that wouldn't really work lol.
  10. TebbieBear

I am (tentatively) down! May 18 or 25 both (as of now) work for me.
  11. TebbieBear

ElectroVoice 12w Parameters?

LOL, Will do. I have a feeling I am going to be playing around quite a bit with this.
  12. TebbieBear

LOL. You have convinced me. I'll do a bit of reading and then try and knock up some starter OBs. Thanks!
  13. TebbieBear

Looking for affordable 300+wpc stereo amp.

Really enjoy my Adcom GFA 5800. Designed by the great Nelson Pass, very affordable on the used market and should be right around 300watts at 6ohms as it is rated at 250 at 4 ohms and 400 at 8 ohms. ETA, the 5802 is 300at 4 ohms.
  14. TebbieBear

Yes, placement is the main reason. They need to be located out into a room, they are in front of a bookshelf/record storage shelf. No corners and no walls in the house to which they could even be close . Beyond that the original cabs are done. They were made of plywood and it has split and began...
  15. TebbieBear

Does anyone happen to have the T/S Parameters for the old EV 12w drivers? I have a pair of very beat up and natty looking Aristocrats corner horns and wish to build a more standard enclosure for them. I was thinking more of a Barzilay type of enclosure but everything I have found points me right...
  16. TebbieBear

Name the brands in your audio system.

Thorens Mcintosh Adcom Selenium JBL
  17. TebbieBear

Apparently, All Is Not Well In McIntosh Land

TBH, IMO Unless they start doing "amp clinics" again (I can dream) I don't really care about the dealer network.
  18. TebbieBear

What you bought today

Record Show today! I only picked up 5 albums but all of them are in great shape and on my wishlist. Horace Silver - Songs for my Father Focus - Movings Waves Eberhard Weber - Silent Feet (my first ECM) Paul Smith - Latin Keyboards and Percussion Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and...
  19. TebbieBear

Most Attractive Turntable?

Agree completely. Doesn't matter if its series 1 or 2, if its in a plain jane plinth or a super high end one. They just look great IMO. or
  20. TebbieBear

Yamaha preamps vs Adcom GFP-750

Nelson Pass also designed the GFP 750 as well as the GFA 5800 and GFA 5500. He also did several of the car audio amps for them.
  21. TebbieBear

Anybody using Hospital grade Receptacles ?

I don't know where you are getting 25 bucks from. The Leviton 8300 20 amp hospital grade plugs I have were only 5 bucks. Amazon has them for 5.35 with prime shipping...
  22. TebbieBear

From Pioneer CS-99 to CS-99A .... Yes?

I had and enjoyed a pair of CS A700 Speakers for a while. I didn't much care for the CS 99 that a friend of mine had. The A700 had somewhat inarticulate bass but the mids and highs were pleasant and fun. They are not the most accurate speakers but I enjoyed them.
  23. TebbieBear

Anybody using Hospital grade Receptacles ?

I have them, I didn't buy them for sound improvement. I bought them because of the increased grip. I have some beefy cables and Like that they don't ever sag, even when the cat rubs on them a bit.
  24. TebbieBear

Record store closures

My record store was bought out by a hipster who turned it into a coffee shop that also sells records. Then he got rid of 3/4 of the records they stock. Then they stopped cleaning or sorting them. Then they jacked the prices up on them. Only Record store in a college town, and the jerk has turned...
  25. TebbieBear

Is it worth building your own speaker cabinets

IMO the best place to get started with DIY speakers is with the Econowave concept. The basic Econowave is simple, fun and sounds great. If you want even more simple then Parts Express and Madisound have kits that are well liked.
Back
Top Bottom