Search results

1. ouimetnick

A Look Inside HomePod

There are several threads about the Apple HomePod smart speaker. I bought 3 last year from BB when they were only $200 a pop. I also bought 2 used and various broken units. I now have 9 working units, but several are in storage just in case one goes down. I've made a few functional units from...
  2. ouimetnick

Earthworks Sigma 6.2 Monitors

It's been a while since I last visited. :) I've finally come across a pair of these at a price I could afford. I've drawn the crossover out to the best of my ability. Can someone explain the woofer's crossover and why it has 3 inductors? It seems the tweeter has a simple resistor to lower the...
  3. ouimetnick

My Grandfather's Old Speaker

So this thread is a bit dumb, but I'm hoping someone can help. My grandfather passed away 6 years ago and the speaker was tossed when his house was sold in 2010, so I'm out of luck. He had this big speaker in his den. The driver was a 12" paper cone with a coaxial tweeter mounted in front of...
  4. ouimetnick

Substituting Transistors & More

Hi! This is a post with several questions. I'm working on an old plate amplifier, and have tested several transistors as open. What can I use to replace the following? D1563A B1086A 2SB688 2SD718 The D1563A/B1086A are driver transistors, and the output transistors are the D718 and B688...
  5. ouimetnick

Boston Acoustics CR400 Plate Amp Troubles

So I have this Boston Acoustics plate amplifier from a CR400/Micro90pv subwoofer. It WAS working (though seemed weaker than I remember it being) so I recapped it since several caps tested out of spec. After recapping it, I fired it up on my DBT with a 40w bulb. The bulb was somewhat bright, but...
  6. ouimetnick

Schematics for Boston Acoustics VR-M60

Anyone happen to draw up the schematic for this speaker? I tried and got very discouraged based on the amount of components and things in parallel, but then seem to be crossing over to the other side (it's a bi wired design) I'm trying to gain a full understanding of the circuit and what...
  7. ouimetnick

How does this work?

Got my replacement high tweeter for a Ohm I (same unit used in the C2), and I am confused about the setup. It appears to have a lightbulb style limiting fuse in PARALLEL with a film capacitor. From my understanding, the cap blocks low frequencies from damaging the tweeter, and the light bulb...
  8. ouimetnick

What Tweeter is This?

Got these tweeters today that are going to replace the low tweeter on my Ohm I. (Got them from Ohm) They removed the labels, so I can't figure out what brand of tweeter it is. Anyone know what brand/model it is?
  9. ouimetnick

Ohm I

Picked up a pair of Ohm Is yesterday. Spend $400 (a bit on the expensive side) cabinets are in decent shape. It's a 5 way design, the 12" subwoofer on the front is wired directly to the input, the 8" top woofer/mid and the 3 tweeters are connected to a large ass crossover with 4 switches. Looks...
  10. ouimetnick

Better Speakers?

I have a nice modded Hafler XL-280 with Musical Concepts boards in it. Very nice unit. I was using it with a pair of Boston Acoustics CR9 speakers and it sounded fine. I've tried a pair of Infinity RS-3001s I have around. Lastly, I've also tried it with Boston Acoustics Micro90x satellite...
  11. ouimetnick

Ohm C2 Water Damaged Cabinets

Hey guys, So I picked up 2 pairs of Ohm C2s from Craigslist recently for $90. All woofers needed to be refoamed, so that's taken care of. One of the low tweeters is blown, but that's not a big deal, plenty of them available on ebay for cheap. I used Howard's Restor A Finish, and that cleaned...
  12. ouimetnick

14 Year Old High School Student Kills Teacher

Yikes. Danvers is right next to Beverly (where I live) Danvers schools are closed. Pretty scary that someone that young could do such a thing. http://www.salemnews.com/local/x252034809/Danvers-teacher-a-murder-victim...
  13. ouimetnick

Making a simple Preamp?

I have a Hafler DH-101. It's a decent preamp, but I only use it for the line level stage. So the input source connects to the eyelets (4R and 4L), and leaves the eyelets 9L and 9R. I also have the tone control switch wired up so I can activate and bypass the tone controls which I use on...
  14. ouimetnick

Musical Concepts PA-4SE

On March 9, 2013, my PA-4SE boards from Musical Concepts arrived. They didn't have the electrolytic capacitors installed as I wanted to install Elna Silmic capacitors myself. (They would have come with Nichicon) The amp itself was purchased from Ebay in December 2011. I gutted everything out and...
  15. ouimetnick

Removing the Coloring

A while back I built a simple little headphone preamp for a guitar. I play acoustic, and the design of the product has a knob to adjust the tone. What changes do I make to eliminate the tone control from the circuit. I just want it to take the unmodified guitar signal, and make it louder, not to...
  16. ouimetnick

DH-101 Power Supply.. Which is better?

Supposedly Hafler had trouble securing the Voltage regulators used and had to use Regulators in the DIP form, and also use output transistors. Attached is the schematic and PCB layout for the common standard PC-1, and then also attached is the schematic, board layout and parts list for the rare...
  17. ouimetnick

Hafler MOSFET Checker/Matcher Help

So I found a person who is letting me borrow their Hafler MOSFET Checker/Matcher. I will be building a replica and also drawing out a schematic. Anyways the selector switch was damaged when I opened got it. :tears: It is a 7 position rotary selector switch. Attached are pictures. Where can I get...
  18. ouimetnick

Tube Arcing?

So I have a Mesa Boogie that a friend wants me to look at. I can say the internal layout is a mess. You have to unsolder a bunch of wires to actually get the main board out. Anyways his message to me was With that, it also makes a chattering noise (similar to a failing hard drive) So...
  19. ouimetnick

Testing and Matching MOSFETs

Not only do I want to match MOSFETs, I want to make a MOSFET checker/matcher rig. I would use it to test and match mostly older Hitachi MOSFETs, Eg 2SK134 and 2SJ49. Dick West used to be able to match and check them for me. He has sadly passed away last month at 82 years old...
  20. ouimetnick

Fishman Loudbox

So I have an original Fishman Loudbox from 2003. Really nice amp. I want to use it not just for guitar but also as a mono speaker. The frequency response is 100Hz - 20kHz ±4dB. The unit is a triamped design and there is a crossover somewhere on the board before it goes to these amps. I attached...
  21. ouimetnick

Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Hi. Can someone explain this crossover schematic? I know how to repair things and all, but what I want to learn is how you guys can look at a circuit, and figure out what every component does, and it's purpose. Obviously this crossover prevents low frequencies from reaching the tweeter and...
  22. ouimetnick

What Did I Break Now?

So if you guys remember a thread that I made on AK called Breaking a Hafler DH-101 into Sections.. well I posted it at diy audio and got more help. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/228517-breaking-hafler-dh-101-into-sections.html So tonight I did something. Didn't work. Let me...
  23. ouimetnick

Breaking a DH-101 Into Sections

Hi guys... I have a photo of my DH-101's PC-4 board attached. Can someone download it and circle the phono section, tone section, and regular preamp section? I only connect my laptop or iPod to either the aux or tuner inputs, and don't care about the low level phono part. I do care about the...
  24. ouimetnick

Bose SoundDock II Review & Teardown

If anyone is considering a Bose SoundDock, or something, I made a review, and I thought I would share it here. Let me start off by saying I'm not a fan of Bose, and this isn't mine. I picked this out for my brother, as he needed something for college. We payed $225 for it. Anyways, I find...
  25. ouimetnick

Confusing as Heck

It seems when I google it, I get plenty of different answers. For dirty potentiometers, Do I use DeOxit D5, to clean, then use DeOxit Gold to protect the clean carbon tracks, and then use FaderLube to finish the entire thing off and bring back the silky smooth feeling...
Back
Top Bottom