thorens

1. R

Thorens TD-160 Motor replacement- "HELP"

Good evening AK members, I am in the process of getting an Old Thorens TD-160 up and running, I've had it for many years, and I finally have the time to devote to bringing it back to life, however the first thing I noticed was the motor spindle was wobbly, so I would like to replace it. I need...
  2. J

Thorens TD124 mkII idler wheel not engaging

Spent a good amount of time on AK and other sites but can seem to troubleshoot this. I should note that this is my first Thorens TD124 mkII so I’ve never experienced one in top working order. When I bought the turntable the idler wheel seemed to have issues with engagement. I’ve since gone...
  3. C

Thorens TD166 MKII Right Channel Distortion

Hey everyone! I've been trying to get an old Thorens TD166 MKII working again but I have persistent distortion in the right channel that I can't seem to diagnose. At this point I'm wondering if it's an issue with the cartridge, but curious if anyone has any better ideas of how to proceed before...
  4. D

How do I know if a tonearm fits my turntable?

Having not owned a turntable in 45 years, I have what may be a very newbie question. I just acquired a Thorens TD 160 Mk I with the standard TP16 tone arm (effective length 230 mm, mounting radius 215.60 mm, 14.4 mm overhang, 22.00 degree tonearm/headshell angle, 16.5g effective mass). The...
  5. A

Thorens TD165: Diagnosing/Repairing Speed Issues

Hi all, My pre-pandemic purchase was a Thorens TD165; this was right when it was more common than not to believe it would be a month-long thing and we'd all move on. Alas! So, it became a project turntable. I even had designs to learn how to solder (I never did). And after purchasing a bunch...
  6. A

NEED ADVICE… for bright harsh sounding records

Hi all, My system is presently… Thorens TD125 with SME 3009 (first heavier version I believe) and Ortofon 2M Bronze -> Graham Slee Special Edition 2 -> Bryston 3B (the old one) -> B&W DM640 (still in excellent condition, not used very much). The room is small… 9’ x 12’. When listening to new...
  7. Blackharp

The Notorious Cartridge Question

Curious about suggestions on a new cartridge for my system and why you suggest it. I've used various colors of Grados, AT Microlinears, Sumikos, and so on. I currently have a Shure M75ED Type 2 with a cheap repro stylus and its very good for the price, a little shrill. The original stylus was...
  8. A

Thorens help - moved from US to Ireland

Hello! I recently moved to Europe from the USA with my Thorens 166. I'm using a voltage converter, but it's not working reliably. It is not getting up to speed. I know these turntables were meant to be used on either 50 or 60hz, but I'm afraid I don't understand how to switch from one to the...
  9. S

Thorens recap?

There is a cap and a resistor in the thorens td165. How important is it to use mkt cap again in this circuit? I ordered a mkp and then saw somebody on eBay selling kits for the thorens and they used some mumbo jumbo about the importance of mkt in the circuit, which doesn't have to do with audio...
  10. W

Mystery Cartridge on Thorens TD-160

I recently acquired another Thorens TD-160. It came from its original owner, and cake equipped with a cartridge that is a mystery to me. There are no markings or labels or any other kind of identifying information on it. Any assistance on what cartridge this may be would be greatly appreciated...
  11. MuseChaser

Thorens TD166MKII speed issue

Well, at least I know I'm not going crazy. I was just listening to and enjoying Beethoven's Sonata No. 1, Op.12 in D for violin and piano, Isaac Stern and Eugene Istomin, on CBS Masterworks I2M 39680... and yet it just didn't sound like it was in D... and I KNOW that sonata.. I've played it on...
  12. Alfmonster

Thorens TD150 MK 1 tp13 tonearm help

Hi, I have a Thorens TD150 mki with the stock TP13 tonearm. It’s fitted with the Shure v15iii cart/stylus. For some reason I can hear every tap/touch of the tonearm itself. I’m wondering if anyone has had similar issues? Or might have an idea as to why this might be happening?
  13. Yemm66

Thorens TD 145 mk1

Hello and good morning! I have a Thorens TD 145 mk1 that I cannot get the platter to “bite” on startup. It spins fine, but I have to push the platter to get it going, otherwise it slips on the motor spindle. Once going it spins at 33.3. I have a brand new Thorens belt too. Spindle and platter...
  14. jancumps

found repair buttons of my Thorens td 124 back

While I was fiddling with my turntable a few days ago, I wondered where I had stored the photos I took in its early days. I had torn down and revised the motor and the arm, worked on the axle, replaced the capacitor, set the eddy current brake. I didn't find things back on my laptop or backups...
  15. D

Thorens TD 166 anti-skate thread weight

I have seen some comments that say this is 2 grams.....is there any problem created if I use a weight of 2.6 grams. Thanks.
  16. adnick

Turntable system in an RV—actually a 35ft Gooseneck Camper

Working on a system to use in an RV camper trailer, space is very limited and the components have to be from existing stuff. Right now I’ve decided to make a folding table to mount inside a cabinet underneath the TV stereo system that came in the RV, it’s the only viable space and it’s in the...
  17. B

Thorens TD-166 MK II and 78 RPM

Hello to all the Thorens experts out there. I have a TD-166 MK II that I have owned since new. I have recently gotten back into stereo gear after several decades (life gets in the way). My Thorens TT has become the 3rd of my three current tables. I also have a collection of vintage crank...
  18. bscepter

Anyone tried this Audiosilente Thorens headshell replacement?

It's being offered via eBay and looks a bit better (and more Thorens-like) than the Swiss one.
  19. ClayTune

Possible next turntable Thorens TD 403 DD. Any reason not to consider?

So the Thorens TD 403 DD is apparently one of the newer models released some time in the last couple of years, it intrigues me. I am currently rocking a Pioneer PLX1000 which is great, however the useless idiot in me is always considering shinier, more expensive items which would constitute a...
  20. moodyj2000

Thorens TD-105

A while back I picked up a Thorens TD-105 turntable mostly for the Stanton 881 cartridge which was worth more than what I paid for the table. Surprisingly the table is not that bad and I will probably keep it for something to pass down to one of my kids. Currently restoring a TD-165 and a Dual...
  21. instatone

Phono preamp

Any phone prestage recommendations to pair with my system? What do you recommend for a MM phono stage standalone upgrade for my Thorens TD160 with MM cart? It is driven currently by McIntosh 2505 and C26. Current speakers are JBL 4311 with a SVS sub. Price range is sub $600 Thanks friends!
  22. p.robustini

Thorens TP16 base tilted?

Hi guys! I was experimenting with thinner mats than my 5 mm Funk Firm Achromat that got a little warped. So I noticed that even with the tonearm pivot all the way down and a 3 mm spacer over the cartridge, the tonearm is still sloping towards the headshell. To be honest, even with the Achromat...
  23. edwinh

Thorens TD160 and Grado

I have been getting my vinyl situation together. I have a TD160 that works reasonably well and I'm going to have it gone over. Before I do that, I want to figure out the optimum, although not too spendy, cartridge for it. I have a Grado Silver Mk. I and honestly, I love the sound I get, but...
  24. Owen Forbes

Fixing Thorens TD150 AB MK1 (TP13 Tonearm)

Hi, I have hit a wall and would love some help! I have recently started to get into turntables as I have been fascinated by speakers and receivers for some time and it was an inevitable next step. I have a knack for finding old things and fixing them, speakers, receivers, etc, but I told myself...
  25. Alfmonster

Thorens TP13 correct alignment

I recently reinstalled the TP13 tonearm (the one without the anti skate) with the Shure v15iii cart/Jico SAS stylus and have been incredibly surprised at how good it sounded. Is this an underrated tonearm? I had an SME 3009 on here which also sounded great but the TP13 seems to be pretty darn...
Back
Top Bottom