“Never take a woman with you when you go to buy a stereo” and other truisms.

Captain581

Has anybody seen the YouTube vintage audio reviews made be 'Andrew from the Netherlands'?

I like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously - neither does he profess to be a technically savvy audio expert. Rather, he simply states, in his own brand of broken English (he's actually an expat from Suriname), exactly what he thinks about various pieces of vintage audio equipment. I sometimes find myself nodding in agreement. He's obviously a vintage audio newbie, but his enthusiasm is infectious (Dis sound have everything!)

His review of the Sansui G-7500 almost made me buy one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMqurdorxYY&list=TLV7UuZNXjFvcysWjFdPS3va7RXE2aF3Ve

You might enjoy his comments on taking women along to buy speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwACBvIkvnc&list=PLiztcU_KK2f_p46Zcq6sop47idk3Sk0nz

His page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjhU2C3259gfm6JM8wl3Kcg

Enjoy…

Last edited:
Video link works well,
Accent is problematic and unfortunately the videos are erm Boring basically.
Bit about taking a woman speaker buying is odd.
Women can have a 'Nesting' viewpoint where appearance of items for their nest is important.
Albeit of varying intensity and dependent of the individuals inherent intelligence :)
What few mention is that Females have a Much better hearing physiology than Men, increasingly so after 30 years of age (in Men).
40 year (arguably much younger :) old males are seriously high frequency constrained.
Simple genetics, wayy before environmental factors make it doubly worse.
Consequently Audio products ..are.. tailored, for exaggerated Highs.
Most women find that 'sound' unacceptable.. for genuine reason.
It is ..when one is not half deaf.
What 'she' finds as good sounding will often seem dull and lifeless to an old guy. And the old guys fave sounds are harsh /shrill and unpleasant.
Small explanation as to why the roommate often has little to do with one's Audio Hobby :)

Has anybody seen the YouTube vintage audio reviews made be 'Andrew from the Netherlands'?

I like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously - neither does he profess to be a technically savvy audio expert. Rather, he simply states, in his own brand of broken English (he's actually an expat from Suriname), exactly what he thinks about various pieces of vintage audio equipment. I sometimes find myself nodding in agreement. He's obviously a vintage audio newbie, but his enthusiasm is infectious (Dis sound have everything!)

His review of the Sansui G-7500 almost made me buy one:

You might enjoy his comments on taking women along to buy speakers:

His page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjhU2C3259gfm6JM8wl3Kcg

Enjoy…
Oh yeah me being a woman from the Netherlands also would like to respond to this statement and i can do it in dutch so he can fully get my meaning on this subject ... hahaha!

Last edited:
man up, you need more gear like she needs more shoes.

tell her the better the stereo, the more the classical music, the more money you make in
the stock market. just like the more shoes she has, the better looking she is,
(that SOTA tube amp is like a lifetime of red-bottomed 6 inch stilletos…)

a matter of negotiation, salesmanship, and win-win strategies...

visualize victory: she says you both need a trip to NYC for the
new (re-started) audio show, the magnificent restaurants on 35th street
off 7th avenue, and the winter program at the Met,...

Oh yeah me being a eoman from the Netherlands also would like to respond to this statement and i can do it in dutch do hr can fully get my meaning on this subject ... hahaha!

It’s said Dutch is the language closest to English.

Used to take my wife with me for all the big speaker buys - the deal was, I'd listen, maybe buy the speaker, she'd get a nice meal in the distant town.
So, for the JBL 4320 I bought in Glenolden, PA, she got her first cheese steak!
For the JBL 4341s I bought near York PA, we went to Prudhommes Lost Cajun Restaurant in Columbia, PA (popcorn gator and more!) [Now Closed]
And we had similar fare on other trips -
When she bought me the Von Schweikerts from AK member jjohnson, we spent the weekend at the Richmond Celtic fest ...

Treat your partner right and good things will come to you!

It's close to England, not to English. They received many UK TV/Radio transmissions, and they watch/listen. It's a big reason why so many of them speak English so well.

I do have a fondness for things Pennsylvania Dutch/Deutsche.
Such great work quality!

Many 19th Century Americans confused Duetsch and Dutch and so often called Germans Dutchmen; thus Pennsylvania Germans being called Pennsylvania Dutch and Dutchman being used as a perjorative for Germans.

As has been mentioned, English is a Germanic tongue and supposedly more closely related to the Dutch tongue than others.

Back
Top Bottom