“New” Linn Basik LVX and custom armboard, Empire

Big Bill

Summertime Rolls.....
I recently acquired (from an AK member) a “like new” Linn Basik LVX tonearm for use with my `62 Empire TT, which left me in need of an armboard. After researching the subject I ultimately decided on a custom solid walnut armboard in an attempt to keep with the aesthetics of the original solid walnut base of the Empire. My wood working skills are slim to none, so I commissioned a friends father who builds furniture as a hobby to perform the task for me. I brought the TT to his shop and explained to him the general function of an armboard. I shared with him the basic design I had in mind with the understanding he would make the final “artistic” design decisions. I must say that I’m very pleased with the ultimate result! Please let me know what you think of them. :yes:

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Linn1.jpg
    Linn1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Linn2.jpg
    Linn2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Linn 3.jpg
    Linn 3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 120
I really like the way that looks, Bill. You're making me want to put my own surplus Basik arm on my Lenco until I fix my Linn Axis.

Could you share a few listening impressions? Just curious if you heard it with the original arm or not.

Redboy!

Very nice, Bill! What cart are you using with it?

I'm running an Ortofon OM body with the Digitrac 200 NE stylus with it at the moment. Thanks again for the hookup on this arm! It sounds so much better than I could have ever imagined! :drool:

Here is a beter pic of the cart:

Attachments

• stylus.jpg
    stylus.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 50
Looks like it was meant to be there, Bill. I like the way that he decided to follow the corner. Sorta like an elbow patch on a jacket. :)

Could you share a few listening impressions? Just curious if you heard it with the original arm or not.

Hello John, I (unfortunately) have not heard an Empire with an original arm. :no: It was mated to a stock Kenwood Kd-550 arm when I acquired it.

Edit: John, I'm not great with audio analogies, but I would say that it sounds "clean" or as if the "mud" had been removed?

Last edited:
Hello John, I (unfortunately) have not heard an Empire with an original arm. :no: It was mated to a stock Kenwood Kd-550 arm when I acquired it.

Edit: John, I'm not great with audio analogies, but I would say that it sounds "clean" or as if the "mud" had been removed?

Thank you, Bill. I was just curious as I have a stock Empire. I like the stock arm, but I've only tried it with a low compliance Denon DL-103. I've always liked the way my Axis sounded, but it's down for the count with some power-supply issues and I'm thinking I may just steal the arm for one of my vintage decks after seeing this.

Thank you, Bill. I was just curious as I have a stock Empire. I like the stock arm, but I've only tried it with a low compliance Denon DL-103. I've always liked the way my Axis sounded, but it's down for the count with some power-supply issues and I'm thinking I may just steal the arm for one of my vintage decks after seeing this.

Please keep us posted in the event you decide to do so!

That arm board looks like it was meant to be there from the get go. Very nice looking, it just seems to go with the flow.

Looks great Bill!!!
I use an Empire 208 w/a Clearaudio arm....Great sounding table. Yours looks fantastic; enjoy.

The Thorens TD160 I just bought has the same arm on it.
Looks like he did a nice job on the armboard.
:scratch2:
For the sake of a totally green newb could someone explain to me the purpose of the armboard,I haven't a clue what it's for and my TT doesn't have one.

Stereo010.jpg

The Thorens TD160 I just bought has the same arm on it.
Looks like he did a nice job on the armboard.
:scratch2:
For the sake of a totally green newb could someone explain to me the purpose of the armboard,I haven't a clue what it's for and my TT doesn't have one.

Stereo010.jpg

you do have one.:yes:

It's what your arm is bolted to.

you do have one.:yes:

It's what your arm is bolted to.

That thin piece of metal or plastic?
It's only about 3/16" thick if that and floats with the TT suspension.
Is the wood armboard just a mater of aesthetics?
The armboard on his Empire is much bigger and thicker,is it fixed on the Empire or does it float like my Thorens?:saywhat:
I sure like the look of the wood a lot better.

That thin piece of metal or plastic?
It's only about 3/16" thick if that and floats with the TT suspension.
Is the wood armboard just a mater of aesthetics?
The armboard on his Empire is much bigger and thicker,is it fixed on the Empire or does it float like my Thorens?:saywhat:
I sure like the look of the wood a lot better.

My arm board on my Technics SL-1100 is guess-timating 3/16" thick (formed edges make it appear 3/8" thick).

The arm board is the "board to mount the arm on".

The thickness of Bill's arm board coincides with the need for his arm to clear the platter, and for proper VTA (vertical tracking angle).

If you put one that thick on your table, you'd:

1) raise the arm much too high, causing the arm to not be parallel with the platter, thus keeping your VTA way off for proper tracking of your cart and eminent ruination of your records, as well as poor sound

2) weight the Thorens suspension at the arm board, causing need for adjustment at best, or causing imbalance to throw off the suspension equilibrium and wreaking havoc with your table's performance.

I believe the Empire is a fixed board- I do not believe at the time that Empire or any table was using suspension (but that's not certain).

Back
Top Bottom