¥ getting cheaper, it's time for you to come to Japan

I'm not informed of the actual fare to flight to Tokyo, yet dollar has got more than 10%of gain against yen, so it should be a great advantage for you. Hotel charges depend on the category you prefer. Eating is a lot cheap, if you are interested in Japanese fastfood restaurants that serve Beef Bowls or Japanese noodles or Japanese style-Chinese noodles. Aside from flight fare, all expenses depend on what you would choose.

Taihei

Funny to find this post. I have a thread in the tubes forum where I ask about audio-related destinations in Tokyo and Kyoto. I am planning to visit in the fall and enjoy some good food, maybe a jazz club, and the architecture and gardens.

Do tell us more!

Here's the other thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=497190

Haikei

You would't be happy to experience Burger King or Subway, I guess.:D
I suggest you try KOMOROSOBA(小諸そば), most economical but fairly nice Japanese noodle chain restaurants. As for jazz club, Satin Doll in Roppongi is
nice having good atmosphere. If you could prepare $100.00 bill and you would
be given any change unless you pile up empty dishes or consume a whole bottle of
Jack Daniels'.

Visit 660m-high "Tokyo Sky Tree" which was completed in the autumn of last year. Only qualified people are allowed to climb to the sight viewers level a little down from its top.

Last edited:
I (finally!) got to go to Japan on business in Oct/Nov of 2011. My first night I stayed at a hotel near the Tokyo central railway station. A friend and colleague (an American, very fluent in Japanese, lived there a long time) met me the next day and we walked around nearby. A big highlight was when he took me to a place that served various kinds of pork -- it was a narrow roadway that went under the main railway line. I've shown its approximate location with the dark circle in the attachment here. Awesome. Just awesome. About five different variants of roast pork and some very good beer.

Attachments

• pork-restaurant-ginza.jpg
    pork-restaurant-ginza.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 13
I'm not informed of the actual fare to flight to Tokyo, yet dollar has got more than 10%of gain against yen, so it should be a great advantage for you. Hotel charges depend on the category you prefer. Eating is a lot cheap, if you are interested in Japanese fastfood restaurants that serve Beef Bowls or Japanese noodles or Japanese style-Chinese noodles. Aside from flight fare, all expenses depend on what you would choose.

Taihei

In my experience (8 visits since 1994), it can be as expensive or cheap as you want. Certain things that are inexpensive in the USA are very expensive there, but the opposite also holds true. You can expect some sticker shock when you first arrive, although the last time I was there (2009) the prices for most things were fairly in line with the USA compared to the '90s.

Western-style hotels can be very pricey, but you can get good deals if you stay in a Japanese-style inn called ryoukan. In some areas (ie: Kyoto) you can get cheap lodging in temples, but you are also expected to rise at dawn and join the monks in chanting, which might not be appealing to everyone.

Restaurants are usually very expensive, but when I visit Tokyo I buy my meals at convenience stores like 7-Eleven, Lawson, Sunkis, etc. Believe it or not, these stores sell fresh-made sushi, oden, rice balls (onigiri), etc. and it is VERY good and VERY cheap. The larger subway stations in Tokyo have places where you can get a bowl of udon for a few bucks and it is excellent and filling. Japanese fast food restaurant are also kind of interesting... for example, a local hamburger chain with the unfortunate name Mos Burger (pronounced like "moss burger") also sells gomoku kinpira, which is sauteed grated burdock root, seaweed, and veggies in a grilled rice cake bun (and delicious!).

In residential neighborhoods like Komagome (where my sister-in-law lived) there might be a narrow street with lots of independent shops specializing in different types of fresh, homemade prepared foods - one shop will have croquets, another will have tempura, a third will have sushi, etc. - and you can just buy a little bit at each one and make yourself a nice bento (lunchbox). One thing I have discovered about the Japanese is they do not have lousy food anywhere. Pretty much anything you get there is delicious, but you need to keep an open mind because some of their cuisine is rather exotic by our standards.

As you might have gathered from Suzuki san's generous offer, Japanese people are EXTREMELY kind to western visitors. Many times I have been in stores and have gotten stuff for FREE just because I was a foreigner. Japan is a wonderful country and its citizens are equally wonderful - that's why I married one of them! :)

Last edited:
Based on this thread, I ordered some stuff from CD Japan. In a nutshell, the supremely awesome Rolling Stones SHM-SACDs have gone from $60 to $45 shipped based on the Yen.

"Goats Head Soup" is on the menu.

You would't be happy to experience Burger King or Subway, I guess.:D
I suggest you try KOMOROSOBA(小諸そば), most economical but fairly nice Japanese noodle chain restaurants. As for jazz club, Satin Doll in Roppongi is
nice having good atmosphere. If you could prepare $100.00 bill and you would
be given any change unless you pile up empty dishes or consume a whole bottle of
Jack Daniels'.

Visit 660m-high "Tokyo Sky Tree" which was completed in the autumn of last year. Only qualified people are allowed to climb to the sight viewers level a little down from its top.

Suzuki-san, we have many, many Japanese scientists and technical people working in RTP (Research Triangle Park). As a result we have some good Japanese food here also. I enjoy it very much. No Fugu for me though ;)

Luckily for me Delta Airlines owes me a trip (200K frequent flyer miles). But if you buy a round trip ticket here on economy class the price is about $1,500 USD so for most of us it is a very big decision. I have been planning this escapade for some time :yes:

Do people still say "Kassai"

In my experience (8 visits since 1994), it can be as expensive or cheap as you want. Certain things that are inexpensive in the USA are very expensive there, but the opposite also holds true. You can expect some sticker shock when you first arrive, although the last time I was there (2009) the prices for most things were fairly in line with the USA compared to the '90s.

Western-style hotels can be very pricey, but you can get good deals if you stay in a Japanese-style inn called ryoukan. In some areas (ie: Kyoto) you can get cheap lodging in temples, but you are also expected to rise at dawn and join the monks in chanting, which might not be appealing to everyone.

Restaurants are usually very expensive, but when I visit Tokyo I buy my meals at convenience stores like 7-Eleven, Lawson, Sunkis, etc. Believe it or not, these stores sell fresh-made sushi, oden, rice balls (onigiri), etc. and it is VERY good and VERY cheap. The larger subway stations in Tokyo have places where you can get a bowl of udon for a few bucks and it is excellent and filling. Japanese fast food restaurant are also kind of interesting... for example, a local hamburger chain with the unfortunate name Mos Burger (pronounced like "moss burger") also sells gomoku kinpira, which is sauteed grated burdock root, seaweed, and veggies in a grilled rice cake bun (and delicious!).

In residential neighborhoods like Komagome (where my sister-in-law lived) there might be a narrow street with lots of independent shops specializing in different types of fresh, homemade prepared foods - one shop will have croquets, another will have tempura, a third will have sushi, etc. - and you can just buy a little bit at each one and make yourself a nice bento (lunchbox). One thing I have discovered about the Japanese is they do not have lousy food anywhere. Pretty much anything you get there is delicious, but you need to keep an open mind because some of their cuisine is rather exotic by our standards.

As you might have gathered from Suzuki san's generous offer, Japanese people are EXTREMELY kind to western visitors. Many times I have been in stores and have gotten stuff for FREE just because I was a foreigner. Japan is a wonderful country and its citizens are equally wonderful - that's why I married one of them! :)

I imagined MOSSed Burger as a matter of fact the first time I knew its name.
What is MOS?? Metal-Oxcide-Semiconductor burger???:scratch2:

Taihei

Last edited:

What Japan today is greatly owes to US.
The epoc-making event was Perry's arrival at Yokosuka bay in Kanagawa pref.
It is called "The black vessels shock".
We got waked amid dwelling on the peaceful but lacking-in-progress Edo-era by them, and got to realize we were far behind the western nations.
The shock was so intense that we made our mind to make the nation have strong arm force and build capial by means of making every endevor to raise the industries, in order to compete with western nations.

That's the very first event we appreciate that you made.
---------------------------------------------------
What kinds of goods were very expensive compared to in US?
Taihei

Last edited:
What Japan today is greatly owes to US.
The epoc-making event was Perry's arrival at Yokosuka bay in Kanagawa pref.
It is called "The black vessels shock".
We got waked amid dwelling on the peaceful but lacking-in-progress Edo-era by them, and got to realize we were far behind the western nations.
The shock was so intense that we made our mind to make the nation have strong arm force and build capial by means of making every endevor to raise the industries, in order to compete with western nations.

That's the very first event we appreciate that you made.

Ah yes, the "opening" of Japan after several hundred years of isolation.

My wife is fascinated by the Meiji period. It was during that era (1868-1912) that Japanese people starting experimenting with western styles. You can see Japanese prints done in a traditional Japanese style that show people wearing Victoria clothing, and it's this unusual combination that she finds so interesting.

In many ways, Japan of today is still caught between the past and future. Everywhere you go, you see ancient things (ie: thousand year old temples still in use) and people doing things the way they've been done for hundreds of years. Yet, at the same time, Japan (especially Tokyo) is ultra-modern and high tech! It's a truly fascinating place.

What kinds of goods were very expensive compared to in US?

Well, as I've mentioned, restaurants are VERY expensive there, sometimes 2-3x as expensive as here. Gas is also VERY expensive in Japan. I believe cars are also very expensive there. I seem to remember a 6-pack of beer costing $20 or more in Japan, which is a lot more than it is here. Are new CDs still about 2500-3000 yen? That 2-3x as expensive as here.

But, as I mentioned, most consumer goods are about the same price there as here. Japan gets a lot of cheap stuff from China just like we do!

Is it 360¥ to a USD yet?? :)

Japan is terriable expensive, any way you look at it. Especially taxis, coffee, well...just anything and everything.

$7 for a beer or a cup of coffee is just too much.

But taxis...no problem, they all take credit cards, and you NEED it for a basic from here to there taxi ride. When you first get to Japan...buy a 10 speed bike immediately!! It pays for itself almost immediately. When you leave...just give it away.

Japan is even expensive for the working Japanese people!

Just way toooooo expensive for what you 'get' in return.

Last edited:
It is a tradeoff, isn't it? more expensive consumer goods and housing/energy, less expensive school and health. Overall I think they enjoy a very high quality of life, especially outside big metro areas.

To the OP: where do the Japanese audiomaniacs shop at these days? Has everyone mostly migrated to the internet like here in the USA?

Overall I think they enjoy a very high quality of life, especially outside big metro areas.

I've seen very little poverty in Japan, and the homeless in the cities appear to be mostly mentally ill and/or alcoholic. But unlike in US cities, they do not bother anyone. Interestingly, they usually sit on sheets of cardboard with their shoes off and placed next to the cardboard, as if it were tatami.

One significant drawback to life in Japan is the lack of personal space. Homes are very small by American standards and tend to be clean but cluttered. The apartment in Tokyo that my wife shared with her sister was tiny - just a little larger than the average corporate boardroom. She refers to it as a "rabbit hutch." But she was lucky - she grew up in a 400 year old Buddhist temple and had plenty of space - but most Japanese people are not so fortunate.

It's been suggested that the Japanese are so famously polite precisely because of the lack of space. If they didn't learn to get along with each other, life would be pretty difficult. Japan is a very crowded country and Tokyo moves at an incredibly brisk pace. I love big cities, but Tokyo wears me out every time I visit!

Last edited:
To the OP: where do the Japanese audiomaniacs shop at these days? Has everyone mostly migrated to the internet like here in the USA?

Abusolutely.:yes:
Audiophiles don't need shop attendants to ask inquiries to ask of, while internet dealers offer as low a price as they can tag at a specific model the buyer wants to buy. This is the reson why audio shops In Akihabara are now very limited in number.

Taihei

Last edited:
I've seen very little poverty in Japan, and the homeless in the cities appear to be mostly mentally ill and/or alcoholic. But unlike in US cities, they do not bother anyone. Interestingly, they usually sit on sheets of cardboard with their shoes off and placed next to the cardboard, as if it were tatami.

One significant drawback to life in Japan is the lack of personal space. Homes are very small by American standards and tend to be clean but cluttered. The apartment in Tokyo that my wife shared with her sister was tiny - just a little larger than the average corporate boardroom. She refers to it as a "rabbit hutch." But she was lucky - she grew up in a 400 year old Buddhist temple and had plenty of space - but most Japanese people are not so fortunate.

It's been suggested that the Japanese are so famously polite precisely because of the lack of space. If they didn't learn to get along with other, life would be pretty difficult. Japan is a very crowded country and Tokyo moves at an incredibly brisk pace. I love big cities, but Tokyo wears me out every time I visit!

You'd better never attempt to go to Akihabara on a sunny holiday in daytime.
You might be mentally worn out, even to death from a heart stroke in the worst case.

Rich travellers to Japan from US would have coffee in a luxuary cafe or restaurants, on the other hand, young ones who are badly-off and would
most likely to be backpackers drop in at a stand-cafe. (There are seats for guests, of course)
Doutor, Tullys coffee, Veloce, starbacks, Saint Marc cafe, serve a cup of
coffee for less than $2.50. (FYI, I recommend Doutor)

Japanese merchants tend to charge much to those who are well-off, and
little to those in its reverse, that is to say, they do not charge equally for a same service or a merchandise but do depending on the consumer's financial
status.:yes:
Those are more mouse cages rather than rabbit hatches.:sigh:
Taihei

Last edited:
Abusolutely.:yes:

I was afraid you would say that :) I tried to use google translate to visit some audio shop web pages in Japanese but was not able to make the translation sufficiently good to understand. This will make the visit more interesting I suppose.

A friend of mine suggested that because the Yen is so high at this moment, many Japanese are buying components in Taiwan. He mentioned the GuangHua market. However, there must be much equipment from past decades still available in Japan.

I was afraid you would say that :) I tried to use google translate to visit some audio shop web pages in Japanese but was not able to make the translation sufficiently good to understand. This will make the visit more interesting I suppose.

A friend of mine suggested that because the Yen is so high at this moment, many Japanese are buying components in Taiwan. He mentioned the GuangHua market. However, there must be much equipment from past decades still available in Japan.

Internet auction market is sure a heap of treasures for us.
Many of them are for sale as junks, yet they work properly after easy maintainace being done. Some do not, but at least in case of tube amps,
it's not a tough work to repair it provided that the buyer has knowledge to
know which component must be replaced.

Yahoo Japan auction page for TTs
http://list3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/ターンテーブル-オーディオ機器-家電-AV-カメラ/23824-category.html

The sellers do not ship overseas as is often the case with the transactions there, then if you wish to buy a specific one on the auction site, I could pay for it on behalf and have him send it to me and resend it to you by Fedex.
Taihei

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom