1,350 watts RMS (150 x9) RE:RXA3080

From the specification section in the Yamaha manual:

Rated Output Power (2-channels driven)[RX-A3080]
(20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 6 Ω)
Front L/R ..................................................................... 165 W+165 W

So basically, it's a 165 WPC amp, but can "peak" at 150WPC in multiples on any of nine outputs. We rate by continuous power, not "peak" ratings, so it's basically almost as powerful as a 1979 CR-3020 (or a Kenwood KR-9600, or Pioneer SX-1250, or a Marantz 2385).

It is a good bit of advertising, however.

Underrated power supply...

More likely current limiting, on Yamaha's part, to protect the receiver. Yamaha is pretty aggressive about the safety of the unit. Which I guess I can understand. Less repairs on their part, as such.

Here's a link to a review of the 1st Gen RX-A3000. Audioholics even noted the current limits of the receiver, during their ACD (all channels driven) tests.

Full review.

"The Yamaha RX-A3000 handedly exceeded its 140wpc power rating continuously with two channels driven and stomped out an impressive 236wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms; and that’s a full power bandwidth measurement (20Hz to 20kHz at 0.1% THD + N). It proved to be every bit as powerful as their more expensive RX-Z7 mode. You can see the protection circuit kick on during our ACD tests, purposely limiting power to 65wpc. In short time, there is no doubt in my mind forum lurkers seeing this will pop up on our site or AVS Forum bashing Yamaha, not realizing the design purpose of power limiting a multi channel amplifier in a compact chassis, or the reality that real world program material will never trip this limiter circuitry. Thus we conducted dynamic burst power measurements simulating real world program content. Interestingly enough the RX-A3000 delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power two channels driven into 4 ohm loads than the Emotiva UPA-7 dedicated multi-channel power amplifier that is designed to deliver rated power continuously into all channels as can be seen in the comparison table below."

Yamaha, Like Denon, Onkyo, Marantz and other popular brands have all made high end model AVR's with this kind of power for a while now. But as indicated in bench test's, Their advertised 150 wpc drops off quickly when driving 7 or more channels simultaneously.

That said, For most folks even Yamaha's mid-range AVR's like my RX-A770 (approx. 3 db's less SPL's than big ones) are more than capable of producing outstanding results 95% of the time with all 7 channels with the help of a subwoofer to do the heavy lifting. They even do a commendable job with stereo music. This is why they get such great reviews from both consumers and the press.

While not the last word in high end Home Theater, They can be by using the AVR as a preamp/processor with a multi-channel external amp like this

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-at527nc-and-at524nc-amplifiers-review

I'd be curious to know if I have an AVR in 9 channel mode, and I connect up a 7 channel external amp for the main speakers, Using the AVR's amps for the height speakers only, If it would deliver more power.

Last edited:
Read the spec sheet for maximum line level power in. If you amp rates input current at 2 Amps at 115V, and it says it's 6 channels at 75watts then the real max output power is closer to (2A*115V*0.70efficiency)/2 = 80 watt/ch X 2

Sound and Vision reviewed the RX-A3070. It tested out with very decent results:

Test Bench

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 159.0 watts
1% distortion at 186.4 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 102.3 watts
1% distortion at 127.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 52.2 watts
1% distortion at 53.6 watts

Power output "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 228.7 watts and 1% distortion at 294.3 watts."

And even though the 7 channel output was 52.2 watts, I personally wouldn't worry about that too much. S&V does state they test with all 7 channels "driven continuously". All channels running full out probably doesn't happen in most surround mixes.

Last edited:
Hi Brutal

Please: We are intrigued, Tell us more.

Thanks

Late to the party. I believe the membership has proven the point.

AVR WPC ratings are not continuous for all channels driven. It's a marketing gimmick.

That said, I'll take the 100WPC into 5 channels as I run my mains (250Ti) on external bridged PC2002M amps thank you very much.

I'm looking forward to rotating the RX-A3070 into the system, but we're n the middle of a remodel and it will be a few more weeks before everything is done.

Sound and Vision reviewed the RX-A3070. It tested out with very decent results:

Test Bench

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 159.0 watts
1% distortion at 186.4 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 102.3 watts
1% distortion at 127.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 52.2 watts
1% distortion at 53.6 watts

Power output "Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 228.7 watts and 1% distortion at 294.3 watts."

And even though the 7 channel output was 52.2 watts, I personally wouldn't worry about that too much. S&V does state they test with all 7 channels "driven continuously". All channels running full out probably doesn't happen in most surround mixes.
The numbers don't add up. 2x159=318, 5x102.3=511.5, 7x52.2=365 - not sure if the 4 ohm test is one channel or two, but it looks like the power supply is capable of delivering around 360 watts in the case of 2 and 7 channels driven. How is it that 5 channels driven is delivering 511 watts?

Back
Top Bottom