100-130 wpc receivers, Akai-Yamaha

The original STA-2290 was only 90wpc and made in '81. Not sure it is 'vintage'. The newer STA-2290 (recycle those model numbers) was made in 2003-current and is 100wpc. And definitely not vintage.

Yamaha B-2 said:
The original STA-2290 was only 90wpc and made in '81. Not sure it is 'vintage'. The newer STA-2290 (recycle those model numbers) was made in 2003-current and is 100wpc. And definitely not vintage.

Oooohhhh. So close. Ten little watts.

Thanks, Yamaha B-2. The STA-2290 is one of the few powerplants that I could never track down wpc on. In fact, I hadn't been able to find even a reference to the thing. I wish it had made the cut, but at least I know it's size now.

Jetaway Dave

Jetaway Dave said:
What about a Realistic STA-2290? I haven't been able to find boo about it, but it does have 'the look.' It's noticably larger overall and has larger power supply caps than a Yamaha CR-1020. It has a digital tuner, so it might be DQ'ed on year of production. OTOH, the blue flourescent (I think) tuning panel obviously was made to fit into an otherwise unmistakably 1970s chassis and front panel design and might have snuck into the 2001 XMAS season.

Jetaway Dave

2001, 1981. What's the difference?

Which one of the Smilies is the "I'ma dork" one.

Jetaway Dave

Wintec R1120 was rated 120 WPC and built from 78-81... this may or may not be relevant as I seem to own one of about three known to exist!

I know this list is getting old but I just went thew it and noticed you did not list the Realistic 2380. Its 100 wpc and I have one if any one wants to see a picture of it.
Ed

Yes you are correct and I didn't notice your cut off date. Nice list and thanks for all the work.
Ed

Wintec R1120

I'm new here just found this site I also have a Wintec R1120 (2) one for spare parts. I was able to pick them up back in 79' or 80' when I was in the repair business. Took some time to repair with out manual that’s why the owners didn't have them repaired. It' my main receiver it's on in the background now with oldies I'm a retired engineer in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. Not the best receiver I've ever had but gets the job done. With the home made 12" Bass Reflex cabinets volume is close to off it's window shaker for sure. I'm pretty sure it's 120Watts RMS per channel.
I still like the Fisher 500C best but it's just too hot! have pictures if any would like to see, if I can find out how to attach? matvtech

Attachments

• Home Stereo 016A.jpg
    Home Stereo 016A.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Home Stereo 011A.jpg
    Home Stereo 011A.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Home Stereo A.jpg
    Home Stereo A.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
matvtech - Welcome to AK!

To attach your pic you simply need to click on the 'Go Advanced' tab below the message box you are typing in. The go to the 'Additional Options' and 'Manage Attachments'. Pic's can't be any larger than 800x800. Enjoy!!

Attach Pictures

Yamaha B-2 said:
matvtech - Welcome to AK!

To attach your pic you simply need to click on the 'Go Advanced' tab below the message box you are typing in. The go to the 'Additional Options' and 'Manage Attachments'. Pic's can't be any larger than 800x800. Enjoy!!
Thanks for the help, I was able to attach.

Power Receiver List - More info on Concept 12.0

I have seen this list and would like to know more about the Concept 12.0. The Concept 11.0 is probably the best sounding receiver of that era equal to the 16.5 and the Marantz 2385 but am unfamiliar with the 12.0. Njord Noaton had an incredible interview excerpt with Richard Schram from Pacific Stereo which was greatly appreciated.....Am pushing my 11.0 with JBL L100's. The total system is inspirational and represents the power of the 70's......

I don't see The Receiver from Carver that's in the 120-130 range (some were 150 WPC),
and there's the Kenwood Model Eleven Series III that's 120 WPC.

Scott

The Concept line of receivers has only had glowing testimonials. There is a Yahoo! group for Concept owners and lovers. I absolutely believe the 16.5 is the best receiver I've owned or heard perform.
The Carver Receiver I included in the other list of monster receivers. Mine was a very early model, and the owners manual said 130 wpc with specs subject to change. Somewhere along the line rated output was raised to 150 wpc without changing the receiver.
The SA-1010 came in too late. I have included a few that carried over into the 80s, but 1982 seems to be my arbitrary limit. I am sure the 125 wpc SA-1010 is a very nice receiver.
I'm sure the list of high-powered 1980s receivers would be interesting. Maybe someone will step up to the plate and compile such a list.
While perceived quality took a dip as the 80s came in, there were some very fine models made in the 80s, and have more in common with our "golden age" of vintage solid state gear.

In another thread I found this about the Yamaha CA-1000-
wajobu said:
Just so happens that I have the OMs and SMs right here. Both the CA-1000 and CR-1000 have 70 WPC at 8 ohms @ 20 to 20,000 Hz (80 wpc @ 4 ohms). Dynamic Power for both IHF 200 watts at 8 ohms. Only the CA-1000 has Class A output at 15 WPC at 8 ohms (seems only to be rated at 8 ohms).

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=927724&postcount=11

It looks like it should be removed from the list.

Edit- I was informed the information came from the blue book.

Speaking of receivers does anyone here own the little gem Yamaha introduced briefly with HCA class A amp called the RX-950, sadly it was released in the era when HT was becoming big and no one paid attention and Yamaha eventually withdrew it from the market. Was a huge beast with low current driving capability, actually it was the amp section of the MX-630 and was rated at 130WPC into 8ohms.

Hmmm......I would have thought that the Yamaha M series amplifiers (early 80's units) would have qualified since they were extremely clean and rated @ 120W/Ch @ 8ohms. Interesting!

Nice guide!

They probably would, if the category was expanded to include power & intergrated amplifiers.

Even then, they'd probably specify "into 8 Ohms"...

Back
Top Bottom