~$100 Audio-Christmas gift suggestion?

zenith2134

Addicted Member
My mother has offered to buy me an audio christmas gift for about a hundred bucks. Figured this was nice of her, since she doesn't really understand or care about my hobby.

Thing is, I am having a hard time trying to figure out what I want/need at this point. I was thinking of some more headphones, because I could use some new closed cans, but which ones :scratch2: headphone amp is out because 100 won't buy much along the lines of a desktop amp.

On the other hand, I was thinking of just gathering up a cart of great vinyl/sacd from an online music store. What are you guys getting?

A nice stylus- some places have the AT 440MLa on sale for $98.

Grado 60s or 80's- great headphones.

Gift certificate to eBay- to buy a vintage piece.

Some nice interconnects.

Oppo cd/dvd player for cd playback.

Gift certificate to a record store.

Membership at AK- subscriber membership status.

What do you have now? This would give us a better understanding of what would enhance your audio experience.

Subscription to AK is 100 bucks?!

I have the Grado sr80's they are indeed great cans.

Been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-ES7, but on Amazon they show a silvery set and the mirrored-black ones which are the ones I want. Dunno which they are selling! That sucks.

As of now, I am using this system:

Sources: Technics SL-Q200 TT with AT 1001 cart (lol, not that bad since most of my vinyl is used but clean), Sony SCD-CE595 sacd/cd changer, Macbook pro laptop w/ usb output, Akai vintage AT2600 tuner

Amp: Stromberg Carlson ASR433 tube integrated 12wpc & my SX-1050

Speakers: Fisher XP-9c's with fresh refoam driven by the Stromberg and ADS L780's driven by the 1050.

Also using Senn HD555 'phones and SR80s.

Again I really like the look of the ATH-ES7 headphones but want to be certain I am getting the nicer (IMO) black-mirror finish. I need closed cans to wear outside when using my Ipod Nano (Dont worry- ~95% of my tunes are ripped from CD or Vinyl in lossless, some mp3 but always at 320kbps). Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

I'd recommend either an Entech Number Cruncher or a used set of Sennheiser headphones.

Not really audio, but a Scottevest Ultimate Hoodie is $70 and is made with earbud loops and tons of pockets for gadgets.

Sonic T-amp Gen 2 - Around $52 - comes with a power supply, but will also run on batteries.

ER-20 High Fidelity Hearing Protection - $12 - better for concerts than the typical earplug.

A couple $50 45rpm albums from Acoustic Sounds.

A nice stylus- some places have the AT 440MLa on sale for $98.

Grado 60s or 80's- great headphones.

Gift certificate to eBay- to buy a vintage piece.

Some nice interconnects.

Oppo cd/dvd player for cd playback.

Gift certificate to a record store.

Membership at AK- subscriber membership status.

Take mom with you, so she can better appreciate the reality of this money pit
(maybe next year she gives more).

Back
Top Bottom