100db

Almonds

So, I was just using an app on the iphone and found that when I've had a couple of drinks and I'm really enjoying my music, I'm at 100db steady. Peaking higher.

How bout you guys?

This only happens about once a month or so, but when it does, man does it feel good!

I could literally fry an egg off my amp right now.

It is definitely loud! I'm sure the cops will be called soon, but... it is Friday.

The measurement is average.

Not sure of the weighting scale. I'll upload a pic of the app.

But this is definitely loud, about the same volume as seeing the band live from the back row. Not first row loud, but further back for sure.

my vantage point. Bliss right now listening to Lateralus (FLAC album)

View attachment 1093004

Vega, JBL, and the Rolland V drums, fantastic set up!

I've always loved the Vs, I live inner city and in a one bed apt so don't have the room for my set up any more. Sold off a set of vintage Rogers a few years back, was a nice set up even had the 20" floor tom. They were in pearl white. Had a pearl XP-5, gave that to my little brother years ago. I've not played in years, Ive considered doing the V drums with some headphones but I don't have the space.

Again good looking set up!

Kind Regards,
John

Check with OSHA for hearing damage. I imagine 100 db is less than 2 hour exposure before permanent damage is suffered by the ear. That is with the sound level meter set in the slow mode with an A scale frequency response.

100 dB for an extended period of time will almost certainly damage your hearing over the long haul. According to NIOSH, the permissible exposure level to 100 dB continuous is 15 minutes during an 8 hour work day; hearing protection is required for exposures longer than that.

I used to listen at those levels daily with my Cerwin Vega D15EEs when I was young and in the USAF.

I now have relatively loud tinnitus in both ears. I am usually sucessful in ignoring it. But I still always notice it.

When I was in the business and a customer blew up their speakers during one of these sessions we said they were +6dB drunk.

LOL. I think my ears were ruined when I would get drunk and stand in front of the stage at CBGB. Come to think of it, everyone in the place was getting ear damage! But I wouldn't trade it. The loudest was an all-girl Japanese punk band. I don't know what they were saying but the were good musicians and were absolutely rocking the Japanese schoolgirl look.

I have two actual SPL meters (digital and analog) and have compared them to many phone apps.

I find the apps to be nothing more than a novelty. I even tried calibrating to the SPL meters and still inaccurate.

YMMV

I have two actual SPL meters (digital and analog) and have compared them to many phone apps.

I find the apps to be nothing more than a novelty. I even tried calibrating to the SPL meters and still inaccurate.

YMMV

Interesting. There is a study out there somewhere that shows some of the apps do fairly well and others not so much.

The iPhone apps, from memory, seemed to be more consistent. I'd imagine due to tighter control of the hardware/mic used than on the myriad of Android phones.

Back
Top Bottom