1030 Just Adorable

milo63

Everett, WA
Subscriber
28910134727_cfa62fbba7_b.jpg

At an older gentlemen's garage sale like I like. Completely packed garage with two small tables in front of stuff he was able to ferret out of the mess. I asked if he had any old broken stereo stuff. Another older guy who was there pipes up that he has some stuff at home that he'll never use.
He had this, an old Marantz AV (5001?) amp and a Realistic EQ. I passed on all but the 1030.

It punches above it's weight and it's very well laid out inside. It might be a keeper.

Looking through old 1030 recap threads has anybody successfully performed a recap on a 1030? They all seem to start strong and fizzle into internet Netherland.

I'm halfway? maybe more through mine right now, I initially recapped the power amp as it had a bad cap causing a weak channel, and I've since moved on to recap the power supply board and replace the filter caps.

The big difference maker was replacing the 2SC458 transistors in the pre-amp—it went from having a quite noticeable idle hiss to being virtually silent.

I've just received the caps for the preamp board, so that's next on my list, and I need to recap and replace transistors in the phone stage too.

So far it's been relatively easy—the biggest challenge was opening up the power amp board without breaking the diodes on the heat sink, I desoldered the diodes on the board side and opened it up like a book. Others have pointed out that a good approach is to desolder and pull the pins rather than unwrapping wires to get the board free from the chassis.

Edit just to add that it sounds great right now, it's my favorite of the amps I have around. And looks terrific too, especially with a wooden case.

I have a rebuilt one--it was my daughter's first stereo (she has a 1060 now with a 140 amp to go with it). It now is in my garage powering a couple of Bose speakers and sounds great. They are Marantz babies and are cute but sound great.

I don't have any before and after pics, but I can tell you after replacing all electrolytic caps, a few resistors, and a few transistors it sounds amazing. I have a few other Marantz amps, this was the first one I purchased. The right channel went out about two weeks after I bought it. I haven't done any board level troubleshooting or repair since 1984. But with the help of
You Tube,
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/1030.shtml
Mouser electronics,
and all the awesome people on AK it was a successful refurb. Just be patient, If you can read, watch video's and use a soldering iron you can do it.
Rock On!!!
P.S. Here is a finished pic, some laughed at the White case but I thought it looked cool. LOL
View attachment 1254726 1030 b.jpg
Keith

Attachments

• 1030.jpg
    1030.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I agree LOL but, when you have a old wood grain pioneer TT, KG4 speakers in oak finish the brown cover does look more "natural" in that set up. Still ugly :eek:

I have a 5020 Cassette deck that came with the vinyl clad metal case in black. After decades, it was very discolored and had spots and light stains that wouldn’t come out. I cleaned it real well and sprayed with rattle can black that said it worked on plastic. It looked like new when I finished. Now that I have it in a wood case, it doesn’t matter, but if I had a unit that I wanted to display without a WC, I would have it stripped and powder coated. The ones I have seen on AK are beautiful.

The wooden cases are beautiful, but the brown I'm referring to is on the metal cover, that the other poster has painted over with white. :D

Still a really horrible thing to do. Original is always best. though I could see removing the walnut vinyl while do a full refurb and painting it flat black or very low sheen satin. The bigger, handmade gear did not have the vinyl cover on the chassis-- just satin black. None of mine do anyway--1200, 1122, 250, 240, 125 tuner, 3600 preamp, 3300 pre, 1122DC integrated amp, etc. the only gear that has that are the 1060/1030. Even the 110 and 105B tuners and 140 amps are black.

Back
Top Bottom