$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

Done more testing between the AT95e and the 95e with even my vm 95ml stylus on it and then the conical (aluminium cantilever) and all sound great but they dont have the sweetness of the carbon fiber AT3600l or the AT91 which really has a beautiful tip. I know about the LP gear elliptical which is a cut down conical 0.4x0.7, is there any other carbon fiber cantilever options ie maybe a 0.3x0.7 maybe?
Chris

The LPGear CF3600LE is a CF cantilever .3X.7 elliptical. I own one and it's quite good IMO.

Done more testing between the AT95e and the 95e with even my vm 95ml stylus on it and then the conical (aluminium cantilever) and all sound great but they dont have the sweetness of the carbon fiber AT3600l or the AT91 which really has a beautiful tip. I know about the LP gear elliptical which is a cut down conical 0.4x0.7, is there any other carbon fiber cantilever options ie maybe a 0.3x0.7 maybe?
Chris

I checked a couple listings for "Gemini HDCN-15" from US sellers and they all state that it's an elliptical stylus. That's interesting. The AT3600L comes with a conical usually. Wonder what stylus is on there. Looks carbon fiber-made though
That's a typo. I bought an HDCN-15 and it's just a plain ol' AT3600L premounted on a Technics-style headshell.

He already answered the question and posted the photos earlier in the thread.

Just read the thread dude.
Peace out.
I thought I did - did not realize this thread was a redux of the earlier train wreck until now
If we're talking post #62 it doesn't show anything meaningful - you can't see the actual stylus proper, just the shank

I thought I did - did not realize this thread was a redux of the earlier train wreck until now
If we're talking post #62 it doesn't show anything meaningful - you can't see the actual stylus proper, just the shank
Trying to take a pic through an eyepiece of a microscope is hard. The actual image was super sharp and it looks like coal but you can get the idea from the pic and you cant see the shank at all but the surface of the diamond is visible and rough. Anywway can we get back on topic please?
Back to the question is there a 0.3x0.7 CF cantilever option for thr AT3600?
Chris

Last edited:
Trying to take a pic through an eyepiece of a microscope is hard. The actual image was super sharp and it looks like coal but you can get the idea from the pic and you cant see the shank at all but the surface of the diamond is visible and rough. Anywway can we get back on topic please?
Back to the question is there a 0.3x0.7 CF cantilever option for thr AT3600?
Chris

Done more listening tests, the conical lacks in upper detail but whole presentation is lovely. There has to be a stylus in carbon fibre which is a bit more special. Not putting this down but you hear almost greatness and you help but wonder..

Yes, there certainly is: https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGCFN3600LE.html

And for a couple of greenbacks more, you can go all fancy and get one with a flip down stylus guard: https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGCFN6500LE.html

And for 5 bucks more you can get the entire cartridge . So in essence if you plan on upgrading the stock stylus on the 11 dollar cart with a 33 dollar one, that adds up to
44-45 bucks. While the entore cartridge on LP gear with the .0003x.0007 carbon fiber cantilever is 38 + shipping if there is any, not sure.

I'd order the cart from LPgear now that I think about it.

Nashou

And for 5 bucks more you can get the entire cartridge . So in essence if you plan on upgrading the stock stylus on the 11 dollar cart with a 33 dollar one, that adds up to
44-45 bucks. While the entore cartridge on LP gear with the .0003x.0007 carbon fiber cantilever is 38 + shipping if there is any, not sure.

I'd order the cart from LPgear now that I think about it.

Nashou
Good point. If one is dead set on upgrading to the CF elliptical, than the cart you mention from LP Gear is an option for sure

Although the other path does give you an additional CF conical spare as backup/beater records player, for only $6 more. So that's to be considered to.

Good point. If one is dead set on upgrading to the CF elliptical, than the cart you mention from LP Gear is an option for sure

Although the other path does give you a spare CF conical as backup/beater records player. So that's to be considered to.

Yep

So many choices !!! Arrggggggg lol ;)

Nashou

Well, you guys finally convinced me to spend the big bucks and bought a sample from e-bay (le_ji84) for $11.99 it took about three weeks and came in the little plastic box. Mounted it on my modified Dual 1019 and tracks and sounds great at 3 grams. I looked at the tip thru my 60X microscope, (sorry can't take pictures) and it looks nice and smooth and straight. I did notice the sound was kind of soft and constricted at first but at about 20 lp's latter its sounding much nicer and relaxed, nice bass now and minimal surface record noise. No IGD I can hear. I might be smoking something but the sound kind of reminds me of my Denon DL-103 - nice smooth and non fatiguing with good balance but not very detailed as say I would hear from my AT 440mla.

I've been listening to an AT440ML of late, a cartridge with a much more sophisticated stylus than most in my arsenal. It is highly detailed but really no more "musical" than my conicals, including the AT3600L.

Well, you guys finally convinced me to spend the big bucks and bought a sample from e-bay (le_ji84) for $11.99 it took about three weeks and came in the little plastic box. Mounted it on my modified Dual 1019 and tracks and sounds great at 3 grams. I looked at the tip thru my 60X microscope, (sorry can't take pictures) and it looks nice and smooth and straight. I did notice the sound was kind of soft and constricted at first but at about 20 lp's latter its sounding much nicer and relaxed, nice bass now and minimal surface record noise. No IGD I can hear. I might be smoking something but the sound kind of reminds me of my Denon DL-103 - nice smooth and non fatiguing with good balance but not very detailed as say I would hear from my AT 440mla.

Isnt the 103 a conical as well? That may be why.

Nashou

Isnt the 103 a conical as well? That may be why.

Nashou
It may well be the reason it sounds similar but I find it really amazing that a $12 cartridge would sound even remotely close to a well regarded moving coil cartridge such as the Denon that typically sells for over $200 and does not have a replaceable stylus. Wonders never cease. Thanks to the OP for re-starting this thread.

Back
Top Bottom