$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

I have a question regarding compliance : for the tonearm mass of my SL-D2, is the AT3600 a better fit then the AT3600L? or does it not matter? Also : is the compliance only in the stylus, or is it also in the cart? because if it's mainly in the stylus, and my tonearm requires a high compliance/low tracking force, then I could maybe instal the TTN Hyper-elliptical. It has two options : one that track à 1.5g and another that tracks at 3g. Guess I could take the former and instal it on my AT3600L?

(I admit that I don't fully grasp the compliance stuff yet, sorry for being a n00b)
I'm still a relative n00b too. My 7 yr old has the 3600L on his Pioneer table w/o tracking weight adjustment. I use the non-L on my SL-D2

Is someone able to post a link (is that allowed) to a really good deal for this cart (I dont want to stumble across an untrustworthy seller).

Thanks!
Give it a try with Ali Express... Just search for "turntable cartridge" & you should immediately find what you're looking for. There's plenty of stores out there with good reputation!

Just got my cart in the mail (had ordered from le_ji84 too, hey look at that!)

Ahhh, the midrange is back! my Technics EPC-270C sounds nice, but it's upper midrange is a little bit "scratchy" sounding and also buried in the mix some. It's very good for some styles, but let's say that it's not really ideal for hard rock, punk and metal where you have walls of electric guitars playing power chords... that sweet 4k is really missed. But with the AT cart, electric guitar sounds really great again! so far the cart sounds good, I haven't checked if the SRA is perfect or not, just installed it @ 52mm overhang, tracked it at 3g(tried 2.5 but the former sounds better) and let her rip.

I'll give my impressions again after listening to a bunch more records.

Last edited:
I have a high output pioneer PN-5MC cart. Is this AT cart also high output ? Or does it matter? I have the pioneer pl-750..

Last edited:
Quick followup regarding my latest experience having one of these cartridges shipped to the US via SpeedPak:

As mentioned previously I placed an order on 1/8/2019 with Hong Kong-based seller "jianjianstore" whose listing indicated shipping via ePacket, but after the order was placed it indicated it was shipped via SpeedPak instead, with an estimated arrival between 1/24 and 2/13/2019. Based on my previous experiences of SpeedPak shipments going nowhere, or making it to the US but then disappearing off into the ether after clearing US customs, I had my doubts, but I'm happy to report that at least this time not only did I receive it, but it even arrived a day early. Came in the little box with mounting hardware just as pictured.

Interestingly, this time the online tracking (via eBay, as well as the OrangeConnex site) updated showing every step along the way, even after it cleared customs and was handed off to a domestic shipper ("Hoau Logistics c/o eBay") and it also showed up as an incoming item on my USPS Informed Delivery dashboard at that point, too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-29 22.10.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-29 22.10.55.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2019-01-29 22.12.34.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-29 22.12.34.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 23
Better to be safe than sorry - looks like the same cartridge, just without the AT insignia embossed on the front. Safe to purchase?

Mod Edit...Had to remove eBay link as those can only be placed in the Dollars and Sense forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better to be safe than sorry - looks like the same cartridge, just without the AT insignia embossed on the front. Safe to purchase?
Yes. That's the version of the AT3600L that Audio-Technica manufactures for brands like Rega and Thorens who put their own logo on it or brands like Pioneer and Sony who use it on their turntables without any logo on it.

Add me to the list of admirers for this tremendous bargain cartridge. It is just a very sweet, musical sounding cartridge.
THANKS to all who have posted here to help me find this little treasure.

I picked up a pair as well. Just mounted one on my SL-1200 Mk2. Only got about 1 hour on it so far, but sounds pretty good. Shipping was very fast from China for me, I was surprised when they arrived. May try one of the other styli in the future.

I picked up a pair as well. Just mounted one on my SL-1200 Mk2. Only got about 1 hour on it so far, but sounds pretty good. Shipping was very fast from China for me, I was surprised when they arrived. May try one of the other styli in the future.
Try upping tracking force on the Technics to 3g. IMO on the lighter arm it seems to improve them not sure why.
Chris

Definitely have to get one of these. Can anyone comment on how it would sound compared a stanton 680AL or AT3482P?

Mine just arrived in the mail. I was shocked it made it undamaged. It was wrapped once in a foam sheet, and shipped in a small foam lined plastic envelope, (just the cartridge, no little plastic case). I'll be testing it this weekend.

Mine just arrived in the mail. I was shocked it made it undamaged. It was wrapped once in a foam sheet, and shipped in a small foam lined plastic envelope, (just the cartridge, no little plastic case). I'll be testing it this weekend.
Ouch. Hope it's ok. Mine were in the plastic cases.

I finally spent some time with this cart on the main system. It's a fine choice in the budget world, and the fact that it comes standard on cheap-o Crosleys makes it even more amazing that it performs as well as it does.
It's a real rocker, however I enjoy a bit more detail for jazz and classical. Has that meaty low end that's a bit missing in my 440 mla.
But that cart hovers around 40 times the price, and it damn sure ain't 40 times better.
My only concern would be record wear over the long haul. If that's a non-issue, this is truly one of the best bargains in audio.

Back
Top Bottom