12" Tannoy Red Speakers. Worth anything?

Someone is going to tell you that you cant ask value here. Just saying. Those are wonderful speakers.

Though it's unseemly to talk value on this part of the forum, there's another forum on AK called "dollars and sense" where such discussion is done. In any event they are generally considered excellent speakers and have a cult following.

Should you decide they're not worth anything and want to get rid of them, you can send them to me :naughty:. I'll even pay for shipping.

Also, the middle picture of the Tannoy driver seems to be marked a 15 inch driver. Even better ;) Out of curiosity's sake, are those cabinets sealed? I'd give them them best amplifier and signal you can and sit back for a while.

Also, the middle picture of the Tannoy driver seems to be marked a 15 inch driver. Even better ;) Out of curiosity's sake, are those cabinets sealed? I'd give them them best amplifier and signal you can and sit back for a while.

I'm not sure what you mean by sealed.

They look like 15' drivers not 12' with the crossovers and drivers if the cones are in good shape they are likely worth between 8-10k worthwhile by my standards anyways.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by sealed.

A common speaker cabinet that has no port (hole) anywhere on it can be considered a "sealed cabinet". The idea is that the air isn't allowed to enter or exit the cabinet as the cone of the driver pushes forward or rearward. If the cabinet has a hole in it that is often referred to as a ported cabinet.

I'm not aware of many sealed Tannoy cabinets and I suppose the cabinets you have may be home-made. I couldn't make out if there was a port in them and I'm curious as to the Bass output of your speakers. Can you elaborate on them please?

There were Tannoy factory cabinets that came sealed when supplied with 15" speakers and ported when supplied with 12" speakers. Belvederes and Lancasters, for example-- among others. These cabinets look like they could be factory Belvederes, but the insulation isn't the usual pillows you'd expect to see in factory cabinets, so not sure what's going on there.

As a side note, you might want to give the interior of those cabinets a thorough search for your missing logo plates. (That's where I found mind, at any rate.)

Excellent speakers, congratulations.

dream speaker for many,hard to beat single point source and Tannoy are among the best,spent the afternoon listening to more modern Tannoy 15inch DMT's ...excellent

hunter

There were Tannoy factory cabinets that came sealed when supplied with 15" speakers and ported when supplied with 12" speakers. Belvederes and Lancasters, for example-- among others. These cabinets look like they could be factory Belvederes, but the insulation isn't the usual pillows you'd expect to see in factory cabinets, so not sure what's going on there.

As a side note, you might want to give the interior of those cabinets a thorough search for your missing logo plates. (That's where I found mind, at any rate.)

Excellent speakers, congratulations.

Which logo plates? There are logo plates on the bottom of the speaker grill. According to my research, the drivers themselves didn't come with logo plates on the back this early in production. The serial numbers are 028005 and 028505. They were made in the very first year of production. The original owner told me they were the Belvederes. Perhaps since they are so early in production, the insulation is different.

I'm just wondering if I should even bother keeping the cabinets.

On the end of the red magnet cover there should be a circular tannoy logo. Likely the adhesive has given way and the logo is in the cabinet.

The early reds came with the transfer tag like the silvers. Same as the early silvers came with the riveted tag like the blacks.

Those are most definitely 15" and if your tape measurer tells you otherwise, it's time for a new one...

Tannoy cabinets were never really anything to write home about most of the time. Could be value added to some or a detractor for others due to difficulty of shipping. They look Belvedere sized but it's hard to tell in the photo provided.

As for value, that pair in absolutely perfect condition can yield upwards of $10k on a good day. To get that number (if you ever planned to do so, which we can't talk about here) you would have to sell from a stellar eBay account, ship them overseas, pack them for WWIII, and pray to your maker they make it in one piece. I'd bet a local reseller who is well versed in these types of things might give you $6k-$7k in easy cash. This is the route I'd be taking...

If you got them for pennies in comparison, I can't stress enough heading back to that original owner and giving him/her a cut of the bounty if you do decide they're not for you. I pay more than asking price, but still below value, on quite a few of my purchases and it makes all the difference when thinking back on those dealings. Warm 'n' fuzzy vs feeling like I got away with something...

Good luck with them. Great pair of speakers.

I had a pair of 15" Reds that I had a hard time selling. I am in Massachusetts. I feel I did not get anywhere near market value for them in the end. If I recall, they sold for around 2k maybe a touch less. Mine were not in Tannoy cabs though. They were in some real ugly Barzilay cabs. I enjoyed them for many years.

Interesting info on the transfer tags, HyKlas. I did not know that. The serial numbers on my 12s are up in the 50,000s, black dustcap, etc. When I got them the logo plates had clearly fallen off inside the cabinet. I assumed the thing had happened here. My mistake.

Back
Top Bottom