12000uf 71v 23mm 4 pin Caps? Any Suggestions

Bikertrash00

I posted questions in an old thread from 2009 and was not getting much of response so I started this thread and hope that's ok. I picked up a Sony STR-D2020 that powers up but has sound issues. 1st I am not an electronics technician and do not know how to diagnose electronics properly but I am very mechanical, no how to solder/de-solder and have fixed several items from amps to TVs. I open up the receiver and notice right away 2 large Capacitors that were bulging at top, they are Nichicon 12000uf 71v 35mm x 60mm, I was having trouble finding some at Mouser then I found these 2pcs Elna 12000uF 71V 35x60mm Pitch:10mm Audio Electrolytic Capacitors-4053 at Amazon so I ordered but the pitch at 10mm is wrong, Then I read the ELNA caps probably are fake crap so I am going to return them. The caps that are in it are 4 pin that appears to be 23mm between + & - which I cannot find! I was thinking of wiring some 10mm caps to the board (leaving them loose). I saw a suggestion for United Chemi Con 661-ESMH800VNN123MA6 at mouser. Can somebody point me in the right direction for compatible caps, thanks ahead of time for your help. Scott

Attachments

• 20170803_194722.jpg
    20170803_194722.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170803_194814.jpg
    20170803_194814.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 64
It depends if the extra pins are functional or are only used for mechanical strength to hold the ecap into place. Your issue is fit and form, try to find something that has the same pin spacing and do not worry about the extra mounting pins if they are non-functional.
Sometimes the bulge on the top is just the way that they were assembled, it might not actually be bulging because they are defective. The best is to actually measure them to verify their performance.

^^^ +1 ^^^ sometimes the plastic disk on top of the capacitor has a habit of popping up (with age) in a way that makes it look like the capacitor is bulging when it isn't - and you can press it down very easily with your finger.

You don't describe your 'sound issues' but very often in vintage gear problems can be caused by oxidised switch contacts.

Personally, I think there's a very good chance that the 'bulging' you see on the top of those caps is only the plastic 'trim' bulging, and nothing to do with failure of the caps - does it press down if you push it with your finger ? I would suggest to leave them alone, at least until you can get them measured / checked.

If you do ultimately need to change them, then you only 'need' 2 of the 4 terminals electrically, the other 2 are just for added physical stability.

If you can expand upon what your specific 'sound issues' are, then there's plenty of help available on the forum - but the key is very much to target the specific problem(s), not pursue a hit & miss shotgun approach, that often just leads to more issues....

Panasonic used to make the 4-pin 22.5mm caps but stopped relatively recently. I need some 10,000uF/50V but haven't found any yet.

Thanks for the replies, The caps do not push down, they are hard as a rock and they are bulged on one side almost to the point the plastic disc is outside the shrink (black cover). I did pull them off the board already but it is no problem to solder them back in if you would like specific sound problems. Thanks again for everybody's help!

I tested each cap with ohm meter and one cap goes infinity on all 4 pins and one shows resistance on what I think are the support pins but infinity between + & -. I have an LCR meter 200uf to 200pf all pegged to 1 (infinity)

OK, sounds like it's indeed shot.

Redk9528's link is working here - maybe try just searching the part number (382LX123M080A082) direct from the Digikey home page. The full datasheet's there with dimensions etc., looks like 35 diam. X 80mm high.

OK, sounds like it's indeed shot.

Redk9528's link is working here - maybe try just searching the part number (382LX123M080A082) direct from the Digikey home page. The full datasheet's there with dimensions etc., looks like 35 diam. X 80mm high.
Yep that worked, Thank You! I will get them ordered today......Thanks Again! Scott

You can see where the cap pins are soldered in the OP's first photo - as far as I can see, 2 of the 4 have no connection to anything else.

Correct. Only two of the 4 are electrically connected. The two ends of the "T" cross piece are just for stability.

Yes above correct.. two pins are hold downs. You can rig up perhaps a spacer with pvc pipe, add some leads to new cap, and many have done that here at ak. Trick is not so much fast tacking glue but getting a good fast solder, too. pull the extension leads from cap and glue is setting? or take time for the glue tack to dry.

hope it helps.

I did order the 382LX123M080A082 from Digikey, should fit no problem. Thanks again, I will update when they get here.

Back
Top Bottom