12AX7 Recommendations for Yaqin MS-22B

ranf1970

Life without music would be a mistake.
Hey AKers,

Hope this finds everyone well. It looks like it is time to replace the tubes on this phono pre-amp. Does anyone have any recommendations for new ones?

I bought a pair of these after conversing with the Tube Store six years ago:
https://www.thetubestore.com/preferred-series-7025-12ax7

Just wondering what people who are using this phono pre-amp are using for tubes or if others might have a suggestions for a good pair of tubes for this unit.

Thanks in advance!

I saw that, but wasn't sure if they were referring to a regular pre-amp or phono pre-amp. Also didn't want to derail the thread so I started this one. :)

I'll keep an eye on it, though.

No Yaqin phono preamp here, but I do have a Jolida JD9 and my tubes of choice are Baldwin "greenies"--Sylvania long plate 12AX7 branded for Baldwin organs. Smooth high gain tubes with a very low noise floor.

In its unmodified state easily the best are Raytheon Black Plate 12AX7's. If Lesbox'd it's a different story.

No Yaqin phono preamp here, but I do have a Jolida JD9 and my tubes of choice are Baldwin "greenies"--Sylvania long plate 12AX7 branded for Baldwin organs. Smooth high gain tubes with a very low noise floor.
I got a Jolida JD9 mkii a couple of months ago. Listened to it for several weeks waiting for mod parts to arrive. It was ok but frankly I was disappointed. Very brittle sounding on highs and not much definition of the soundstage. Also uneven bass response with certain bass frequencies peaky. First mod was to install damping self adhesive on bottom and top covers. This greatly improved the flatness of the bass response and improved midrange definition. Next I replaced the factory Russian Tung-Sol 12ax7 tubes with Psvane 12ax7 Tii. Immediate and drastic improvement. Bass smoother, brittleness reduced on highs, soundstage drastically improved and definition improved. Over the past 6 days as the Psvane tubes have broken in, all of these areas have continued to improve. Brittleness is completely gone in the highs. I will let this burn in for at least another week before I make the next mod which will be replacing the factory output caps with ClarityCaps. I'll keep you posted.

I will let this burn in for at least another week before I make the next mod which will be replacing the factory output caps with ClarityCaps. I'll keep you posted.

I have done my own JD9 and a few others for other folks. Yes, it does take time to "break in" after the mods--especially new tubes. I do them "whole hog". I've used Clarity, Mundorf and Obbligato caps for the main electrolytics, WIMA MKP's for by-pass poly caps, and upgraded to the BB opamps. Full Dyanamat treatment for the case, ditched the tube shields and left them exposed, but added the silicone damping rings on the tubes. The only tubes that I have liked better than the Baldwin/Sylvania "greenies" have been Telefunkens, but they get pricey.

Have fun!!!

At a reasonable price point I like the JJ ECC803S (Long plates) on my Yaqin MS-22B. The only problem is that the long plates hide the "glow"

On the lower scale of price, the current production Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes are pretty good. Also, maybe some Sylvania, or Sylvania JAN 12AX7 tubes, that are NOS. I have had good luck with those.

Back
Top Bottom