$15 good sounding wifi music streamer device!

gongli

Musician + Audio Lover
Chromecast audio is on sale these for $15 with free shipping and no tax and it sounds quite good - color is neutral and dynamics are good with clean black backround...Good enough for amplification by good amp to a nice speakers if you ask me.

The most economical way to stream music from chrome browser.

Enjoy and merry Christmas everyone...

I bought 5 CCAs recently. I like that you can make groups and play the same music on multiple systems. I can even make a group with my ChromeCast connected to my video HT system. I've got some connected via analog, the other via optical TOSLINK. For the price, you cannot beat the convenience.

Chromecast audio is on sale these for $15 with free shipping and no tax and it sounds quite good - color is neutral and dynamics are good with clean black backround...Good enough for amplification by good amp to a nice speakers if you ask me.

The most economical way to stream music from chrome browser.

Enjoy and merry Christmas everyone...

Best Buy and others have also been running this sale.

I have three in the house already (OK, actually, one is in the garage attached to my ancient boom box), but bought another two on this $15 sale. I believe they are on sale until the end of this month. (Or is it the end of February?) Both at retail and online. I still may get a couple more just for kicks--I have an idea of hiding one inside the old Grundig tube radio I got this past summer, as I can use the "PU" (pickup, aka phonograph or tape head) input as an auxiliary input. I also have some powered speakers that would make a nice bedroom system if they had a reliable source like the CCA. And I'm not one to bitch about sound quality of these. I don't expect it to sound like a $6,000+ DAC, like some certain online blogs/forums out there expect it to--it's only $15, FFS! :rolleyes: For casual listening, they are perfect.

I like that you can make groups and play the same music on multiple systems.
I do the same here, plus it has a neat feature where, if anything is out of sync, you can adjust the delays on each device so that they all play in sync. I use my Kitchen group daily for a couple of hours, streaming Pandora--it goes through my main kitchen mini-system, along with the Google Home Mini and Hub (where the music displays while playing) at a lower volume.

The last time I used a PC to control it, I had to start streaming from my phone then the PC could see the Chromecast and control it. Without starting it on my phone the PC didn't list the Chromecast as an option to stream to.

I had an old otherwise unused laptop with optical out hooked up to my stereo for months before I got my Chromecast Audio. I set it to never shutdown, started Spotify, and shut the lid. That worked flawlessly streaming from another PC.

You can get old small form factor PC's that have been retired from businesses for less than $100 on eBay. They'd be able to do the same as my old laptop. Heck even an old Android phone with a USB DAC hooked up via an OTG hub. :)

I just picked up a couple of these recently and think they do sound decent. I am a bit disappointed because they won't cast YouTube which is where I stream from most often. YouTube will cast without problem to a regular Chromecast, just not to the CCA. I did a little research and you can cast from the YouTube music app to a CCA , but only if you pay. They don't mention this little condition on the Chromecast site.

Anyway, had I known this I might have bought a regular Chromecast with a HDMI to RCA box. I suppose if your receiver has an HDMI input you could hook it up to that.

We will see how useful it will be for me without paying extra for a subscription. I have Amazon Prime, Spotify, slacker radio, among others to cast but YouTube (not YouTube Music) has the most free stuff that I've seen.

Last edited:
I just picked up a couple of these recently and think they do sound decent. I am a bit disappointed because they won't cast YouTube which is where I stream from most often. YouTube will cast without problem to a regular Chromecast, just not to the CCA. I did a little research and you can cast from the YouTube music app to a CCA , but only if you pay. They don't mention this little condition on the Chromecast site.

Anyway, had I known this I might have bought a regular Chromecast with a HDMI to RCA box. I suppose if your receiver has an HDMI input you could hook it up to that.

We will see how useful it will be for me without paying extra for a subscription. I have Amazon Prime, Spotify, slacker radio, among others to cast but YouTube (not YouTube Music) has the most free stuff that I've seen.

I can cast YouTube from my Mac running Chrome, but not from my iPhone. That is one problem having a closed ecosystem like iOS, particularly since Apple and Google don't get along well. I rarely listen to free music on YouTube, too many commercials.

I can cast YouTube from my Mac running Chrome, but not from my iPhone. That is one problem having a closed ecosystem like iOS, particularly since Apple and Google don't get along well. I rarely listen to free music on YouTube, too many commercials.

Yeah, there are a lot of commecrcials depending on the station. I like YouTube though because they have anything you could ever want in full album and it's not shuffled. I'll put up with commercials for that.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this. I've been needing another CCA device and was hoping to score one on a sale like this!!!:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom