$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

Confronted the person on the phone about the price difference and, of course it is $14.97. NOW, all of the sudden, the last amp they have is defective and has to be sent back to the manufacturer! So I guess I am out of luck. Looks like I turned on an employee to this deal. I guess I should have just driven down there with a print-out of the page showing the sale price. Live and learn...

That's exactly what I did. The counter guy called the other store and was all surprized that it was a $150.00 item selling for $14.99. Try another store.
:scratch2:

I picked one up a couple of months ago after reading about it in another forum. I was surprised there wasn't much interest here at AK.

I did the mod and hooked up my MP3 player. Ran it through an AR TDS202 and some Genesis 1 speakers. It sounded pretty good to me.

I've tried the TDS202 in different applications and wasn't really impressed, but in this case it helped with the volume and overall tonal quality.

Heh....

I believe the original credit should go to member SKI for alerting us to this diamond in the rough. :thmbsp:

True...I picked up on it from his post awhile back. Funny, the post after his original post was from Snade. Guess he didn't key in on it at the time.....:D Anyway, once I started looking around, there was a lot of earlier stuff out on the Web....

By the way, PM me if you want the tweak info......

These could also make a great little unit to amplify the line outputs from a computer to drive a small pair of bookshelf speakers.

True...I picked up on it from his post awhile back. Funny, the post after his original post was from Snade. Guess he didn't key in on it at the time.....:D Anyway, once I started looking around, there was a lot of earlier stuff out on the Web....

By the way, PM me if you want the tweak info......

Thanks to whomever discovered this little gem.

I noticed the original post at the time, but like Snade, didn't act until recently. I was waiting for a number of you to try it and post a comparison of the Accurian to a T-Amp which I am fairly familiar with. In the end, I decided for $16 it didn't matter and have been pleasantly surprised how good it is.

I posted above a T-Amp/Accurian comparison but YMMV and my Accurian only has about 2-3 hours of burn in time. In that post, I should have noted that my impressions were based on listening to both amps with recently recapped/refoamed Genesis Model 10s and an "analog" sounding RS CD-3400 portable CD player. The Genesis are still a bit bright sounding to me but with the right recording can be startling and really image well.

I will try the Accurian with Insignias which have a more laid back/polite presentation and are also 89db efficient. Eventually I will also try it with some Minimus 7s and small 4 ohm ADS 200cs but read somewhere that the Accurian doesn't like 4 ohm loads.

My local store says they have four and he confirmed the $14.97 price. I'm gonna try to grab one on the way home.

Will be perfect for the computer. Just gotta choose which speakers to use.

knobs

I took some shiny metal knobs from a broken receiver and replaced those cheapish plastic ones. I also replaced the feet with bigger and better ones. This IS a super deal from RS. Grab one and find out for yourself.

How hard was it to remove the knobs? Did you have to pull really hard? I would like to take mine off but I don't want to break it. Thanks.

Well, the very nice salesperson from the RS near work is able to get me one transferred from another store. The computer originally said two were in stock at the out of town store. But by the time he could get verbal confirmation from the other store, the second one had just been purchased. Sounds like someone had just walked in the store to get it. So they are getting harder to find. Anyway, even though I wanted two, at least I'll be getting one to test out.

I'll see how it works with some Baby Advent II's for an office system.

Well, according to the RS folks there are none in Colorado. If anyone picks up an extra I'd be more than willing to buy it.

If you walk into a RS and they don't have it, you can order it for delivery to your home free of charge. Done this many times. No need to go back to the store.

I was not impressed with the T-amp at all, screwed up the mods (the surface mounted crap is tiny and easily broken) and never bothered again with it. And yes, I do have a magnifier and Weller unit with multiple tips, some experience, etc. For $15 though, looks nice, worth fooling around with if you have the time.

I just had my local store do a search. They found just one and ordered it for me. I should get it by the end of the week.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom