$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian

Circumstances have changed for me. After a search and a few phone calls, I was able to locate 2 Accurian units and purchase them. I still have the other being shipped to a local store and should be here by Friday. So now I'll have 3: one for my office, one for home tests, and one for backup.

Just backing up some other comments...the mod literally only takes a few minutes, especially if you leave the board in and just disconnect and secure the appropriate wires.

Currently, I'm using an older RCA Lyra mp3 player and some Acoustic Research TSW-110 speakers. I haven't had time to hook it up to my cd-player or something more substantial. I'll try it on my Advents, Playstation, and Pioneer laserdisc. But even with this modest setup I feel this is one the better bang for the buck items I've personally purchased. Three new decent amps for under $50...not too shabby.

I also already had a Logitech wireless music transmitter and receiver that I wasn't using. I'll see how that works out.

I opted to just pull the receiver board out, it may help with airflow to increase cooling. I'm thinking one of those old little CPU fans might be a nice touch too.

I opted to just pull the receiver board out, it may help with airflow to increase cooling. I'm thinking one of those old little CPU fans might be a nice touch too.

That's a thought. I wonder if that is why some reviewers were posting heating failure problems. It does have a decent heat sink on the back. So I wonder what the cause of the failures were.

That board could cause heat build up in there. If nothing else I will add more heat sink compound to the outputs.

Can't find one around KC. Bummer!
:(
Looks like the price might be getting a bit higher on the 'bay:
***Edited by Moderators to remove auction link- not allowed outside Dollars & Sense Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to this thread I also had to have one. My son works at the local ratshack so I was able get mine for $11. delivered. His store only had one and for that price how could you pass it up. I haven't listened to it yet but I am amazed at the build quality for a $15 amp. Should be a fun unit to fool around with and hopefully it'll sound nice as well. Thanks guys for the heads up on this cheap little gem in the rough.

Can't find one around KC. Bummer!
:(
Looks like the price might be getting a bit higher on the 'bay

That is for the sending and receiving units. I guess the real application for it.
Some have complained about the noise introduced from the household wiring that carries the signal when used "properly". I'll be watching that though. For the convenience, it's a wonder I never saw it before. i've seen items from the shack that allowed you to run an extention phone or PC modem line from the house wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky enough to score 3 of them today from a RS store 90 miles away. They are shipping them to my local store. Not sure what I will do with them yet.

Sal Brisindi

I just hooked mine up to a pair of 4 ohm ADS 200cs. No problem yet but I haven't played it loud.

I noticed that some posters have warned against using it with 4 ohm speakers. Is that based on experience or the design of the unit?

A quick scan of the instructions reveals nothing about speaker limitations.

I figured I should experiment now while it is new and replacements still available.

Curiosity got the best of me so last night I checked for availability using the RS store locator function via their website and what do you know, the Midland Mall location has two. I go there today and only one is left, the display model. I buy it ($14.97) and even got the 1 year replacement plan for $2.99 more---$18.86 total. Also, the sales lady did a search and there's only one left in the entire state of Michigan and that's in Mount Pleasant which is 25 miles to the west of Midland. Anyway...

I did the mod in just a few minutes and will hook it up tonight. Thanks for heads up on this guys. I mean, for $15 it's certainly worth a shot and it sounds like there's plenty of happy folks out there who have purchased one.

Cheers

For inputs, the specs say 2XRCA. Does that mean 2 stereo, or one per channel? In other words, can you hook two devices into it?

Tim

After the mod, the single left and single right RCA outputs become inputs. In other words, you can hook up only one device.

For inputs, the specs say 2XRCA. Does that mean 2 stereo, or one per channel? In other words, can you hook two devices into it?

Tim

Once you do the mod only one source input is allowed. You can buy source switcher units though that will increase the flexibility of this amp. I've got one at home that switches up to three sources. Bought it at RS.

I wonder if that input can now be used as a preamp input? I'm thinking no...at least not without some other modifications. Food for thought.

Edit. Someone already answered the previous question. To answer the question above me there is a preamp already inside the box so whatever preamp you plug into it would be working with the preamp inside. You could take the preamp out of the circuit and use the onboard +/- 15v to power a different preamp.

Last edited:
Yes but you can also hook up one of the original cables to the preamp out and rig up a pair of RCA's to them as well. That is what I am scounging around for right now.

Yank

I should get one, there is a few around at a couple Rat shacks in town...... Hell, for 15 bucks....I spent more than that on drinks at Megadeth last weekend.....

Back
Top Bottom