180,000 miles Ford Ranger

"And like the new Chevy Colorados, it is probably gigantic compared to the old models, too. Despite what the car companies seem to think, not everyone wants a large pickup.:mad:"

True, but when you're 6'4", you simply don't fit in small vehicles - comfortably. My old Explorer ('98, sold it with 187,500 miles) was a good rig, but I always felt a bit squished - especially in the headroom department. Vehicles are still not designed to tall people, or bigger folks for that matter, and it's a challenge for me to find something I'm comfortable in. That's why I drive a Tahoe.

Beyond that, this it's still an ugly design. But hey, everything is cookie-cutter these days.

I'm 6'-3" 220# and I admit it's a fairly tight fit in the Ranger but I've adjusted. I have noticed that midsize (and larger) German & Swedish cars are designed for taller people--I fit fine in them. World's tallest country is Holland but they don't manufacture cars. Italian cars you can just forget.

I'm 6'-3" 220# and I admit it's a fairly tight fit in the Ranger but I've adjusted. I have noticed that midsize (and larger) German & Swedish cars are designed for taller people--I fit fine in them. World's tallest country is Holland but they don't manufacture cars. Italian cars you can just forget.
True on the Swedish cars being good for taller folks. I had a Volvo 240 wagon, and at 6' tall, I could have worn a cowboy hat in that thing.:D My mom's VW Jetta had a decent amount of room, too. It's a shame it was a total POS otherwise, though.:rolleyes:

But then the Ranger only has 39K miles so I guess I'll keep it awhile yet. It's done very well for me. It's fully equipped except it doesn't have traction control which I could use during the rare snow around here as my driveway is long and steep. It's just RWD.
At 39k, it isn't even broken in yet. I sure wouldn't be getting rid of it just to get something else because it has traction control.:rolleyes: It isn't a miracle, and if you are a good driver, you don't need it. I've found that in some vehicles, TC is actually more of a hindrance than a help. If there is a threat of snow, toss a few hundred pounds of weight in the bed. It helps a lot.

The "tallest" car I ever owned was the 73 Super Beetle. I'm 5'10 but it had loads of headroom. A much taller person could have driven that car easily. It wasn't well suited for wide people. Or cold weather for that matter. Folks experienced in air cooled VW, especially ones that had oxidation-installed ventilation will understand.

At 39k, it isn't even broken in yet. I sure wouldn't be getting rid of it just to get something else because it has traction control.:rolleyes: It isn't a miracle, and if you are a good driver, you don't need it. I've found that in some vehicles, TC is actually more of a hindrance than a help. If there is a threat of snow, toss a few hundred pounds of weight in the bed. It helps a lot.

Guh, I forgot all about that. I used to carry two concrete splash blocks in the bed during winter. Left them at my old house though.

The "tallest" car I ever owned was the 73 Super Beetle. I'm 5'10 but it had loads of headroom. A much taller person could have driven that car easily. It wasn't well suited for wide people. Or cold weather for that matter. Folks experienced in air cooled VW, especially ones that had oxidation-installed ventilation will understand.

Oh yeah. My family had a couple air-cooled VWs when I was a kid. I can still remember the teeth chattering.

Years later, I get in one of those old VWs and the real shock is how primitive the driving experience is. Couldn't do it anymore.

LOL! No no, Under a tree. This was my place in Texas before I moved.
Only parked it there for about a week before I realized the Sweet-gum it was parked under dripped sap year round.
Then moved it under the carport where it should have been anyway.
No worries, it still looks that good, I take care of that truck better then I do myself.

Most, if not all of the pickups in the 50's were rated 1/2 ton and up. No way would I want to daily drive one either, especially stock.

GM had 1/4 ton pickups....1947-1954

Modification list:

235 c.i. Short block

194 Head including intake and exhaust, stock Holley 2-barell carb from a Chrysler 225 slant six (increased compression from 194 head)

Saginaw 3-speed.....or an automatic transmission from the last generation of the Nova and a B&M floor shifter

Rear differential assembly from a 55-57 Belair staition wagon that bolts right in....or any of the other Belair models of those years. Staition wagons generally have limited slip rear ends.

Investment is minimal, everything comes from rebuilt houses to include a steering gearbox with a different internal gear ratio that has the effect like power steering. This build results in enjoyment and 27mpg.....

Life should be interesting and worth the experience....

GM had 1/4 ton pickups....1947-1954

Modification list:

235 c.i. Short block

194 Head including intake and exhaust, stock Holley 2-barell carb from a Chrysler 225 slant six (increased compression from 194 head)

Saginaw 3-speed.....or an automatic transmission from the last generation of the Nova and a B&M floor shifter

Rear differential assembly from a 55-57 Belair staition wagon that bolts right in....or any of the other Belair models of those years. Staition wagons generally have limited slip rear ends.

Investment is minimal, everything comes from rebuilt houses to include a steering gearbox with a different internal gear ratio that has the effect like power steering. This build results in enjoyment and 27mpg.....

Life should be interesting and worth the experience....
OK, show some proof if you are so sure. Sorry if I don't take your word for it, but doing a search brought up nada..

I'm not really buying 27mpg either.

OK, show some proof if you are so sure. Sorry if I don't take your word for it, but doing a search brought up nada..

I'm not really buying 27mpg either.

I can’t recommend you to a website that shows any of this cause every Tom, Dick and Mary is putting big blocks into these pickups. No one is into putting a Stove Bolt Six into these pickups cause it’s not popular and websites reflect that popularity. All this is based on Chevrolet’s decades of interchangeablity, the only thing you will find online is the 235/194 engine-head combo in classic early hot rod forums because it was popular before the Chevy small block came out and you can find info on the Belair differential being used in the 1/4 ton pickup on the L.A.M.B. Classic pickup forums.

Me, I’m just an old rabid car rebuilder that has to stop because of pain problems.....

The 27mpg comes from boring the cylinders forty thousandths (increased torque), each piston weighing the same, each rod weighing the same and spin balancing the crank (balancing). HEI conversation for the distributor with MSD ignition...iridium spark plugs. Then all the automatic trannies from a six cylinder from a 235 to the last 250 are all interchangeable and the 1977 Nova Turbo Hydra Matic transmission has a higher gear range. Then since a Chevy automobile differential is installed there is a long list of 3rd member gear clusters that can be installed with the highest gear range possible. It’s about torque and gear ratios that move mass....then rebuild the front suspension stock and the brakes stock. There are machine shops that rebuild the steering gear box and change the gear ratio to make driving effortless.

Find a fanatical classic Chevy enthusiast that built his own car and they will say the same....all this is common knowledge for an autophile !!!!!

Agreed.
And like the new Chevy Colorados, it is probably gigantic compared to the old models, too. Despite what the car companies seem to think, not everyone wants a large pickup.:mad:

Agreed.I'm looking for a truck that is around the same size as my '89 Dakota was (this was before they went with the Freightliner look,which reduced the interior space to less than what you got in a Ranger:mad:) but there isn't a lot on offer. And what is it with the four (full sized!) door thing and a bed the size of a toolbox?

I just want a small to mid-sized truck with either an extended cab,or at most,the half door variety,with a usably sized bed.Apparently,the dealers are not interested in carrying these models.Good grief,the Toyota Tacoma is as big as a full-sized,and costs more.Sheesh...why the hell does everything have to compete with the Suburban!?!?

How about the other end of the spectrum. My '93 with less than 60K on the odo ...

93ranger-topper-done.jpg

My '89 was showing around 80k when I let it go ...

ranger-sep2011_2.jpg

Fun machines!

Whoever got that 89 got a very nice truck!

Back
Top Bottom