1963 Bogen BP51HPmod_stacker on soapstone plinth

mfrench

Addicted Member
I started this project about a year and a half ago, and then never finished it. Well I got inspired, and have just tonight finished the build.
The deck started life as a light steel platter deck, and now has been converted to a heavy double platter stacker deck, with heavy platter bearing and a custom bearing brace to support the load.. The platters weigh in at about 18lbs for the pair.

I just finished this at 9pm tonight. Back sore, arms sore, coughing from dust. I'm going to bed. Tomorrow will be listening day - well all weekend, actually.

This is my 1963 Bogen-Presto BP51 (Lenco B51) - aka, the BP51HPmod_stacker:

IMG_1161JPG.jpg~original

IMG_1166JPG.jpg~original

IMG_1168JPG.jpg~original

IMG_1162JPG.jpg~original

Bearing load carrier bar, to carry load of two platters:
IMG_1129JPG.jpg~original

Last edited:
arm board details:

The armboard is a separate entity, removable from the main plinth deck. It is two stacked sections of soapstone, and built with high adjustability in mind.
IMG_1144JPG.jpg~original

The top layer is cut in and routed out to 1/2" deep. There is a sweeping adjustment crescent that is also cut through to the second layer of the arm board.

1/2" aluminum disc for the armboard; center drilled for circular adjustability, in place:
IMG_1145JPG.jpg~original

Jelco base in place:
IMG_1146JPG.jpg~original

Jelco arm in place:
IMG_1147JPG.jpg~original

Armboard base underside, looking back towards the al. disc. I've since cut a passage through for an RCA jack panel:
IMG_1149.jpg~original

Brace for aluminum disc/arm in underside of armboard.:
IMG_1156.jpg~original

Don't laugh too hard; a DIY'rs Feickert tool:
IMG_1155.jpg~original

Last edited:
thanks, guys!

This is the underside of the plinth, with a bearing brace in place.
The plinth is two layers of soapstone. The top layer is solid. The bottom is sections from matching rem pieces, cut to fit, and laminated onto the solid top plate piece. I've left the rear open for ventilation, and tonearm arrangement changes.
The feet are 3" hole-saw cut-out plugs. I cut their bases to 1/2" deep into the plinth, and routed out to the same depth.

IMG_1127.jpg~original

Last edited:
Thanks, Gary!

Beautiful craftsmanship! Is soapstone a difficult to work with?

thank you, Doug!
Soapstone is quite easy to work with, perhaps even easier than some hardwoods. I did all of this with some basic power tools, no "professional/industrial" gear.
The most pro-like tool that I used is a wet tile saw, and a router; the rest were circular saws (diamond blade), jig saw, angle grinder, portable drill, drill press (small bench top type), lots of squares and clamps. Ohhh, and a ton of JB-Weld epoxy.

Last edited:
:yikes::ntwrthy::thmbsp:

That is a thing of beauty!

Unique and wonderful!

Beautiful thing you've got there. Looks like the wait was a small price to pay for that.

thanks, guys!

I bet that holds it's speed well. How long does it take to get from 0 to 33.3?

Speed stability shouldn't be an issue; needle drag? ::chuckles::
I haven't tested it yet. It spins up just fine. I just have not had a chance to put a speed strobe mat on it yet.
My Presto T18 DC-mod'd deck is a hot-rod in this sense - instantly to speed, within a quarter turn. So, the Bogen will have a tough standard to hold up to.
Today will be a big day for us.
The finished pictures were just posed for dry-fitted shots. I've still got to screw it all together and firm it up. Then comes the listening sessions,.....

Hi Mike,
Absolutely gorgeous work, once again! Just love that terracing for the tonearm. You've become the preeminent builder in our expanding Lenco community. And Kudos for taking on the Admin tasks at Lenco Heaven! :thmbsp:
A couple of questions on this exciting build:
Did this older Bogen topplate have a shorter mounting distance (211mm?) than later Bogen/Prestos - i.e. B-61/B-69/B-70 (225mm)?
You identify the arm as a Jelco. Did Jelco build the Sumiko line which is what it sure looks like…. (What's the mounting distance?)
What cart is strapped to the "scratch" (Nuemark?) headshell?
And finally, with all that platter weight, have you been tempted to splurge on a new bearing upgrade?
All best,
Mario

Soapstone source

Thanks, Gary!

Soapstone is quite easy to work with, perhaps even easier than some hardwoods.
Thanks for your response. Where did you obtain your soapstone? I've sent off to two companies for estimates.

I've got a Technics SP-15 and a Technics SP-25. I want to make identical plinths.

Doug,

A quick reply between Sarge tasks (honey-do list - today, I'm sanding the bathroom ceiling, patching, and readying for a texture shot):
I have a local soapstone contractor near me that has a big pile of rems in his moms backyard. They're more affordably priced, considering the cost of full sheets - but finding size can be a challenge, considering the depth of the picking piles.
You'll likely need 3sq.ft. per plinth.
www.shadleyssoapstone.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom