1969 HOOD AMP REPRO

Thanks for the additional data point! And for yet another, I've disconnected the Hood amp and put my new Mac MA6500 in its place, and wouldn't you know it, it's a bit boomy in the mid-bass. Still with the Polk Monitors; will connect it to the Kappas later.

But the upshot is that we may fairly conclude that the Hood amp is not to blame for the bass effects noted upthread. This is consistent with what others have said (including in this thread) so it's obviously a room-acoustics or other issue in my particular location. It's a subsidiary zone that I don't use much anyway. The "Krell" Hood Amp remains one of the neatest (& cheapest!) devices I've ever purchased. I really appreciate its straightforward design and construction.

I'm thinking I need to purchase one of these and build an Audionote Kondo KSL-M77 clone as a preamp. Should do nicely I think :)

Need something for the bedroom I use to fold clothes. My wife doesn't like it when I crank up the sound in the downstairs living room so I can hear it clearly. Likely very nice with a Starting Point Systems DAC3. ;)

I've been looking at these little amps a few years now and your thread has tipped me over the edge. I need one now. :D

Ok, I've one on order with Douk Audio. I'll need to track down a nice pair of >89db used speakers and a CD player now :)

Congrats! Since mine was shipped from Singapore yours might be making a short trip indeed! I wouldn't sweat the speaker efficiency--the one I have plays plenty loud through whatever speakers I throw at it--and you might even hold off on the preamp, unless it's just something you really want to do. The Hood repro includes a volume control and you may be able to do everything else you need to with your source unit; speaker choice & placement, room treatment etc.

Looking forward to photos including the innards to see if there's any variation. And especially looking forward to your perceptions of the amplifier's 'sound signature' if any. Incidentally, though 'Class A' of course it produces only a minor amount of heat--nothing remotely like my tube amps do. In fact, I have other (vintage) Class 'A' amps which run much hotter, but probably because they're in need of some maintenance work. It's great to have a new one.

Yes, I'm looking at some used Boston Acoustics A100 speakers I can get cheap locally for it. They're 90db efficient so hopefully a-ok with it.

I've discovered it's really hard to find old CD players in silver so looking at a low end Shanling player which uses a Burr Brown DAC to go with it .

Not a bad move. Though I like listening to CDs I end up using Pandora & Chromecast Audio 90+ percent of the time.

And incidentally, no idea if CCA is available in Ozzieland yet but it now includes tone contour controls for each zone.

This is just for music in the spare bedroom where I fold clean clothes. I figured it will sound better than a little class D amp ;)

If it's too good though it could well end up in the gym instead :)

Last edited:
Mmmm, it seems that I won't recieve it until March sometime. Chinese new year and all that guff.

This amp is really more of an experiment to see if an SS amp can compete with my tube amps without the expense of shelling out for a mint Sansui black face amp.

I finally figured out it must be CNY since all the sellers on eeb are 'on vacation' ...they must really party!
My guess is that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of this thing, and the 'no-maintenance' aspect.
Only caveat being that there are a few different suppliers and different variants. But I think you'll be all right.

Wow thanks guys. I've been curious about these for a while too. I may have to get one someday. And hopefully soon. :)

You could try that new Schiit 4 band EQ. The Loki I think it is? Something like that. Supposed to be real nice, and not too much money. I assume it could go between the source, and the amp. Between that, your ears, and maybe an RTA app on your phone. I'm sure you could get rid of any issues, like that mid bass bloom.

I work for Chinese people. The whole country takes about 10 days off I think. Some take 3 weeks. It's really their only big holiday I'm pretty sure. I got an amazing meal on NYE from them. Even had lobster in there.

They don't play around. Like 10 different things, and enough to feed an army. If you've never had the chance to try real Chinese food. I highly recommend it. It's very different, but delicious. A lot of the stuff is an acquired taste. But now that I have. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm! And of course some stuff. I won't eat at all. Some very different textures, and such. Half the time I don't even know what I'm eating, and I'm not really sure I want to either. No cat jokes please. Lol

I've a MiniDSP 2x4HD lying around somewhere. I can use that if need be. I don't expect it to be necessary though. Looking to pair mine with some Boston Acoustics A100 speakers in a bedroom system.

Remember all the miniDSP's, except the digital ones do a digital to analog then an analog to digital conversion using a not very good quality converter. I would avoid using one for this, especially if you're using digital audio already. That would be 3 conversions. Your ears would most likely not respond very well to this. However. If you used a digital one instead, and were only doing the one conversion in the DAC. That would work great I imagine. Or use a regular analog EQ. That's why I suggested the Schiit unit. It's a very nice, very simple unit that won't hurt the sound very much. If at all. As it's specifically designed for Mid to HiFi.

I have the Starting Point Systems DAC 3, and it's pretty good IMO. Especially if you like the old school sound, like I do. It doesn't have the greatest dynamics, and not the last word in clarity, but it's very nice. Very easy on the ears. And on the wallet too. While it's definitely not a high end DAC. It sounds better then what it costs. If you like that sound. Better for old ears like mine I would say. I'm using it right now with a Scott 200, and a pair of Coral Holey Baskets. It really can bring the soul out of the files.

I'm using my Starting Point Systems DAC3 on my second system downstairs. While it doesn't bring out the utmost in detail, it sounds more real to me than many newer and more expensive DAC's. Sounds as good as music used to sound to me on Dad's system in the 90's, getting you emotionally involved in the music.

Mine runs through a little 10WPC Oldchen SEP amp into Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers in vintage cabinets + Wharfedale SW150 sub. I really enjoy the sound though it doesn't deal with low quality DAB radio that well.

On the flip side I pick up my Gieseler Groß DAC today which is my first true high end DAC. Supposedly the same characteristics of a vintage DAC + the added detail of a modern DAC ;)

I believe it will be a lovely little amp. Wouldn't have bought one otherwise. Fingers crossed ;)

I'm frankly delighted with the Chi-Fi digital chip amps, this is an experiment in something different, but hopefully equally pleasing within the limitations.

If I can't drive it with a passive controller or it doesn't somehow please me, I'll probably turn it over in BT as I got it for a decent discount.

One difference will be the lack of RF hash into an FM source that the chip amps and their switching ps produces.

I've never had a chip amp But my class D 5 channel amp I used to have in my last car was murder on my FM signal. So annoying!

Back
Top Bottom