1976 Heresys amp choice

HeresWatts

What amp(s) would be great choices to get the most out of my new (to me) Heresys ? I am considering both SS and tubes in a low-budget (under 1000 for amp) setup.. I am looking at used (obviously) amps.
If I can fit it into the budget, I will consider a good 3 channel amp.
I am currently powering the Heresys with an Onkyo A/V receiver model TX-NR809 @ 135 WPC, and have 2 Cerwin-Vega HT-10D subs that are powered by another amp.

I've used a Scott 299b, Sherwood s-5000, and Fisher 500c with my Heresy I's. All sounded great, but the el-84 amps smooth them out really nicely in my opinion and still have plenty of power for them. I only ever liked them with one or two SS amps, but some people like them with SS.

We had 77 Herseys, that ran on a Mac 2505 and later on different NAD units. With the Mac amp the top octave and a half was just a it to much with Manheim Steamroller recordings for instance, where with the NAD amps with a little softer sound just about right. Tube amps are to mushy for Herseys. I donated the speakers with a NAD integrated amp to a choir room. And with live recordings played back in the choir room with the Nad 40 watt per channel amp the sound was very life like. You couldn't ask for more.

The best I've ever heard Heresys was with a McIntosh MC2155 at a friend's house. He actually had another MC2155 sitting there unused. So I connected both of the MC2155s to them bridged. Wow - that was even better!

In your budget, you could easily find an MC2120 or even an MC2200 if you're patient.

you really need to ditch the old K77 tweeters and get a nice new set of modern tweeters from Bob Crites the CT120 would be a very good option. They will drop in.

you really need to ditch the old K77 tweeters and get a nice new set of modern tweeters from Bob Crites the CT120 would be a very good option. They will drop in.
I'm not ready to do that upgrade right now, but as soon as I can, I will be looking into upgrading the tweeters, and BC 120s are top of the list

I'm searching for the right sound for my Heresy's as well :

I'm running a Dynaco ST-70 rebuild. Sounds pretty good with a sub. The Crites tweeters are just too much $$$ for me. $225 plus you should probably run the crossovers @ $185 - I just cant justify that for my Heresy's but then again, they are not my daily drivers. I'll probably consider a xover refresh and I just finished an internal rewire. I was also going to play around with deadening the cabinet and build some home made risers. I found some stick-on pipe insulation that looks and works a lot like Dynamat but costs a hell of a lot less. The whole process will run maybe $50-75.

FWIW ... If your a Jazz\Blues guy these speakers can really do well but in my space; typical 70/80/90 rock just doesn't quite sound right. I think the placement and addition of a very small (old school Yamaha) sub might make them sound better.

As for the amp, I tried a Carver M500, ZR1000, the Dynaco and a Pioneer Spec 4 - the Dynaco was noticeably better. I'm scared to plug in my McIntosh MC-75's because I have heard they run really well with the Heritage series. I was donated the Heresy's and I just couldn't let them go to a landfill. I painted them jet black and put new grills on them. I like the look - it would be nice to keep them in the mancave. I was thinking about mounting them up on the wall and pointing them downward.

P1070306.JPG

View attachment 1009638

This is one of the amps I have hooked up to one of my pair of Heresys. A CD player, a $50 passive pre, and this little 12watter.... its wonderful! Single end EL-84. That's where the Heresy sweet spot is at!
That sounds like it’d be a really nice setup. I’d love to own a Dennis Had SE amp. If you don’t mind sharing, what passive pre are you using?

HeresWatts, as you can tell there are lots of combinations that can work well with your speakers. I’ve tried everything from flea power SE to higher power SS. I ended up powering mine with mid powered receivers (30-38 wpc Marantz and Yamaha) and am satisfied. I do occasionally try something new to make sure I’m not missing out, good luck with your search.

I think I would include the CT120's as part of that $1000 upgrade, personally, as they're going to make quite a difference in whatever amp you end up with. Those K-77's are kind of limited in their top end and quite fragile overall. Also swap out the older caps in the Heresy's, too...not a major expense. But if you stay with the K-77's for now, I would at least swap those old capacitors out and get something made in this century in them.

Amp wise, those are pretty flexible for as efficient as they are. Just get them close to the wall for some more reasonable bass and, if you put them on stands, you may needs a sub more-so as any open space underneath them is going to remove even more bass.

That sounds like it’d be a really nice setup. I’d love to own a Dennis Had SE amp. If you don’t mind sharing, what passive pre are you using?

HeresWatts, as you can tell there are lots of combinations that can work well with your speakers. I’ve tried everything from flea power SE to higher power SS. I ended up powering mine with mid powered receivers (30-38 wpc Marantz and Yamaha) and am satisfied. I do occasionally try something new to make sure I’m not missing out, good luck with your search.
I just recently picked up this piece of Schiit :
upload_2017-9-27_8-13-52.png

It works for a very minimalistic approach.

I've run my hbr's with a 100 watt s/s nad ,20 watt p/p fisher, & a 3.5 watt 2a3 set. the 2a3 mono blocks sound the best of what I've tried

I've had good luck running a Sansui 2000A and Kenwood KA-4006 with my '79 stock Heresys.

Sansui really smoothed things out while the Kenwood brought out the bass.

Sticking with the Kenwood for now. Floor/corner placement and the right room allows me to use them without a sub.

I've run them with both a Dennis Had SE amp and a set of Mac MC40 monoblocks. Both sounded great. Sold the Heresy's off when I picked up my Altec's. I like a two way better than a three way, getting rid of the extra crossover point really made a difference. I did recap the Heresy's early on with the Crites rebuild kit. I would definitely get a tube amp. Even a recapped Magnavox 9300 series tube amp would make them sing.

BillWojo

We had 77 Herseys, that ran on a Mac 2505 and later on different NAD units. With the Mac amp the top octave and a half was just a it to much with Manheim Steamroller recordings for instance, where with the NAD amps with a little softer sound just about right. Tube amps are to mushy for Herseys. I donated the speakers with a NAD integrated amp to a choir room. And with live recordings played back in the choir room with the Nad 40 watt per channel amp the sound was very life like. You couldn't ask for more.

I love my mushy tubes and Heresys

I'm pushing a pair of Heresy I's with a Scott 299C. Plenty of bass and loud. If the volume is over 3 you cant talk over it. After rebuilding the crossovers and changing the tweeter diaphragms it can sound so realistic it freaks the dog out.

Back
Top Bottom