2 channel stereo receiver options these days?

NAD made a receiver after the 740 though I cant remember the model. They stopped making it 2-3 years ago. It retailed for $800, had sub out and really looked like an awesome receiver. I dont think they sold many and it will be desirable in the future (last true receiver before all this digital crap).

They introduced the NAD C720BEE around 2005 (I own this model) and then the C725BEE after that.

The C720BEE can be found for around $200 in good used condition.

I got a HK3470 and have grown tired of it now. it doesnt sound that greatjust okay. I am now going back to seperate amp for power now . I didnt realize anyone was posting to the post. so I am now using a sony TA-N330ES instead of the power from the HK

Last edited:
recently i became aware of the existence of the rotel rx-1052, rx-1050, and rx-975 and briefly looked into them. the 1052 looks really nice and the 1050 looks like a nice piece as well. the 975 also looks good but many instances of them being mentioned or sold online involved issues with them. same goes for the hk3480 and 3480, they look like decent pieces but they seem to be problematic. any of the three mentioned rotel units seem to be much higher quality than the hk units mentioned, and the 1052 in particular looks REALLY nice. from aesthetics to build quality, the 1050 reminds me of the outlaw rr-2150

recently i became aware of the existence of the rotel rx-1052, rx-1050, and rx-975 and briefly looked into them. the 1052 looks really nice and the 1050 looks like a nice piece as well. the 975 also looks good but many instances of them being mentioned or sold online involved issues with them. same goes for the hk3480 and 3480, they look like decent pieces but they seem to be problematic. any of the three mentioned rotel units seem to be much higher quality than the hk units mentioned, and the 1052 in particular looks REALLY nice. from aesthetics to build quality, the 1050 reminds me of the outlaw rr-2150

Thread revival. The Rotel rx-1052 isn't really modern anymore in terms of years but is a great value at the 15 year mark. Picked up another one at a thrift store, this time with matching CD. Very nice combo.

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_095222609.jpg
    IMG_20190419_095222609.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 52
how does that sound ? I just picked up a Emotiva RSP-1 and its built much better than the current line of stuff they make. they seem to be steadily going downhill..

how is that 1052 in the sound department? I Like the all black..

R-S202_index_735x735_02ed0c96e5e669782af21b5e8eada5e1.jpg
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/features.html#product-tabs

how does that sound ? I just picked up a Emotiva RSP-1 and its built much better than the current line of stuff they make. they seem to be steadily going downhill..

how is that 1052 in the sound department? I Like the all black..

I'd describe it as warm and smooth - very nice for lower listening levels. FM tuner sounds great. There are a couple of versions of the 1052 - the earlier one didn't have a dedicated pre-out, later revision added it. I used to run one with an external power amp, but you really don't need to - it has plenty of power.

I think Rotel's latest gear (similar to Emotiva perhaps) doesn't have the same build quality as well. The Emotiva RSP-1 looks great.

You only live once. Ante up for a Mc, or a Magnum Dynalab MD 209, and be done with it.

I have multiple hobbies. I dont know what either of those cost but im sure its more than i can justify for the amount of time i actually use the gear.

Ive worked hard to have as little as i do invested in my gear.

I do have a NAD C162 preamp comiing and also a yamaha r-s700 receiver.

I may keep both but we will see

I have multiple hobbies. I dont know what either of those cost but im sure its more than i can justify for the amount of time i actually use the gear.

Ive worked hard to have as little as i do invested in my gear.

I do have a NAD C162 preamp comiing and also a yamaha r-s700 receiver.

I may keep both but we will see

I hope you have better luck with the 162 than did I. :thumbsup:

What was the problem with it?

Stopped working at all. Unplug from wall to reset per NAD instructions. Then it works for awhile, then stops. Unplug, reset again. Repeat until won't reset. Use as boat anchor.

The same scenario played out with a 165. I have two NAD boat anchors. If I only had a boat, I'd be happy.

Stopped working at all. Unplug from wall to reset per NAD instructions. Then it works for awhile, then stops. Unplug, reset again. Repeat until won't reset. Use as boat anchor.

The same scenario played out with a 165. I have two NAD boat anchors. If I only had a boat, I'd be happy.

you still have the boat anchors ?

That Yamaha R-S 202 shown above is a nice unit and it has AM/FM and Bluetooth. I have the R-S 201 which preceded it. Same performance but no Bluetooth. It has a very clean sound and has worked quite well with 6 Ohm speakers although it is rated for 8 Ohms or higher. At its price point of $150, it is worth looking into.

The Sherwood 4508 is another low cost receiver with similar power and price, it has a phono in, which the Yamaha does not have. Also worth checking into.

If money is not a problem the Macintosh gear is top drawer with outstanding FM performance.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom