2 on Netflix, horror & sci-fi

soundmotor

super modified
If you are looking for something a bit off the beaten path this weekend, 2 Netflix recs -

The Ritual is a horror film, a genre I usually don't watch. Mostly because nothing new or too original shows up. This one pulls elements from other films (a hiking group takes a shortcut through the forest...) but ends up pulling off an original take. It was also refreshing in that virtually all nastiness is conducted off camera and left to your imagination. It's well written, acted & filmed as well as quite startling at times. There is a lot of material packed in this one and, the old gods didn't just fade away...

17158a8034a6811b4156c967f047eeea4a028124.jpg

Infinity Chamber is near future sci-fi and dystopian. I'd watched it previously and enjoyed it, watched it again with my wife last night. She enjoyed it too. It is a great example of tight writing & direction offsetting no budget. It too draws on other works (Twilight Zone and Moon come to mind) but is original. Without spoiling anything, a man awakes in an automated prison cell with no memory. He's watched by an AI tasked with keeping him well and struggles to come up with an escape plan. There is enough in it that you'll loop back thinking about it upon conclusion. I am really looking forward to more from Travis Milloy who both wrote and directed it -

maxresdefault.jpg

I watched The Ritual a while back, and really didn't think much of it. I did like the interplay of emotions within the group of old college buddies, after the tragic events that start off the story. The horror elements I thought were pretty schlocky.

I'll try Infinity Chamber based on your recommendation. Something that makes you rethink it later is a good sign that I'll like it.

Back
Top Bottom