20 Speakers over $100,000

I'm going to guess 4-5 th floor but I hope they have them in a larger room this year.
Not exactly sure.
That's why I don't remember seeing them. There was a lot going on in the upper floors. I tried to stop in every room, but if it was too packed we moved on.. I'm kind of surprised that someone brought those to set up in a small room.

It wasn't a crazy small room, just not large enough IMO but they sounded great but I think they needed larger space for proper imaging.

That was the only thing that I think was lacking was the imaging and I know these are amazing speakers so they need more room to breathe.

They do their best with the space they can get and the rooms are not always the optimum setup.

Last edited:
I think I know what one now.. As you were facing the speakers all the gear was off to the left. Lots of it. I think they were playing a Neil young r2r when we went in...

I recall all of the gear in the middle which is common at the show.
There may have been another room with them that I didn't see.

Probably not that one. My recolection of exactly what speakers were in what rooms is kinda fuzzy.. Now that I think about it, the room I previously mentioned had Martin Logan's with the trapazoidal tops.. I think.
What did you think of the jungle room on the bottom floor?

Alright, am I alone in thinking some of these speakers are pretty awful to look at? Not all, but damn ugly stick found a few of them.
No comment on sound, I feel they're likely all terrific.
In this day and time of everything is made cheaper especially electronic components , are their bars of gold weighing them down?
I am sure for 20 or 30 thousand there are some really great carpenters and electronic techs that could build some super cabinets and top notch crossovers.
I honestly feel people who buy these are chased by the people who write reviews and want to rub elbows with said rich people, Kind of like politicians and reporters, you can never get an honest answer from any body so everyone buys into the bull crap.
I'll take one pair of those vintage Bozak symphonies, and a pair of those Altec model 19's, and how about some of those klipsch Khorns.
What did you say ,I have 280,000.00 dollars left over?
OK I will take one of those big buildings with three separate listening rooms also.
Man what you can buy for 300,000.00 dollars now days!!!!

Less than $100K, but I'd still pick the JBL DD6700 if I had unlimited funds.
View attachment 894889
I'm thinking I might build a pair of these, I have a great wood shop, Lots of great 15 inch drivers , lots of JBL and Altec hf drivers and I can come up with tweeters.
I'm sure I can buy some great crossovers that are being built for the Klipsch K horns.
No they will not be an exact match but I'm willing to bet you, they will make you pee your pants when you hear them for probably about 2500 to 3000.00 dollars.

I'm thinking I might build a pair of these, I have a great wood shop, Lots of great 15 inch drivers , lots of JBL and Altec hf drivers and I can come up with tweeters.
I'm sure I can buy some great crossovers that are being built for the Klipsch K horns.
No they will not be an exact match but I'm willing to bet you, they will make you pee your pants when you hear them for probably about 2500 to 3000.00 dollars.

Yeah, makes you wonder why JBL went to all the trouble of designing drivers specifically for those speakers when they coulda just rounded up a pile of drivers from the store room and got the same result.

What, no Wilson Audio speakers?

It is a little odd since Wilson has made such high priced speakers since the 80's. The Alexandria is $225k. The WAMM has just returned and they will deliver the first set this month at $750k/pr.

Yeah, makes you wonder why JBL went to all the trouble of designing drivers specifically for those speakers when they coulda just rounded up a pile of drivers from the store room and got the same result.
no it won't be the same thing except in looks and will sound great, it's not rocket science, I have a son in law that sees something he likes and builds it, it always looks and performs like it came from a factory, he is completely self taught.
He taught his self carpentry, computer programing welding and is a top notch machinist, along with he hardly sleeps because he is always thinking of the next project, people can do some pretty amazing things when they set their minds to it.
He works for a major fortune 500 cooperation, his job is not only to fix there food machines and keep them running but to re engineer them to work better, all without any kind of degree.
And to think I throw him out of my house one time and said he would never amount to anything.

I would instead take the Martin Logan Neolith. It is near $75k if I am not mistaken. If I am going to spend anywhere near that amount, it is going to be something I actually want.

https://www.martinlogan.com/neolith/

View attachment 894758

The $25k I save can be spent on a French maid service to come in once a week and dust them. :D

My thought exactly. I'm well pleased with my present ML setup. The Neolith would be my choice, mainly because whatever I bought would be used primarily for listening. I have no interest in being able to say, or show, that I can afford more than the next guy. I doubt actually having that sort of money would change my attitude.

My thought exactly. I'm well pleased with my present ML setup. The Neolith would be my choice, mainly because whatever I bought would be used primarily for listening. I have no interest in being able to say, or show, that I can afford more than the next guy. I doubt actually having that sort of money would change my attitude.

Are you saying that the neolith beats all the rest? That's your end all choice?

That's a pretty nice project - make sure you keep us in the loop if you take this one on.

Here is some info to get you started, though these are DD6600 links:
Owner's Manual: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's Manual/Owners Manual - Project Everest DD66000 (English).pdf
Overview: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Product Information/Specification Sheet - Project Everest DD66000.pdf
Brochure: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Product Information/Brochure_Everest_Eng.pdf
Spec sheet: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/Everest DD66000 ts.pdf

For woofers consider the 2235H, since the woofer used in the DD series is the likely final evolution of that driver.
Take care in the selection of the midrange and high frequency compression drivers
JBL will NOT sell any of the parts unless you can give them the serial number from your speaker.

EDIT: looking at the schematic, the two woofers cover different frequencies, so perhaps a 2234H as used in the 4430 may be a better choice. The difference between the 2235 and 2234 is a mass ring. Best bet is to use the one that has the closest TS paramaters to the 1500AL.

Last edited:
Are you saying that the neolith beats all the rest? That's your end all choice?

No. I'm answering the OP's question. How can I say that any speaker I've never heard beats any other speaker I've never heard? I'm saying that the Neolith is the limit to which I aspire, having heard several examples of the company's products.

No. I'm answering the OP's question. How can I say that any speaker I've never heard beats any other speaker I've never heard? I'm saying that the Neolith is the limit to which I aspire, having heard several examples of the company's products.

Alright. That's fair. I'm just thinking that I could make do with any of those 200K or above speakers. My tastes and ears aren't that specific..

All in all, I'd choose 2 not on the list. Magico Q7 series 2 or the TAD Reference 1.
Those JBL 67000 make the top 10, plus these 3 have the looks too.

Back
Top Bottom