2013 Chicago-Area AKers - Save Sat., Feb. 23rd.

Thanks Bob!! Great hang as usual. I hope everyone who wanted some of the free cd's I brought got to grab some. I went through a purge at the Keith household. strangely enough, the alvin and the chipmunks didnt get taken. maybe next time.

Thank you to everyone who schlepped gear to the meet. always fun to hear how the pieces fit together.

Big thanks to our always gracious hosts and to those who shared equipment. Lots of fun conversation and good listening. Scott's 222C tube integrated was a very sweet sounding piece, both on the big Altecs and the KEFs. The most impressive thing I heard though was JohnVFs Berkeley Alpha DAC. The moment he removed it from the system was quite literally jaw-dropping: I've never heard such a difference from any digital component. Curse you John....I was content with my Peachtree iDac until last night!

Thank you again Bob, for such a great get together. Nice to see everybody again and hear the different setups. My highlights were Bill's Tact integrated amp and Kirk's Van L Quartets, and comparing them to Evan's home brew speakers in the same cabinets. I wish I'd had more time with that Scott integrated. I think I should switch my tube affiliation from Fisher to Scott.

I didn't get a chance to try the sausage! I totally forgot to eat, caught up in listening and talking.

I didn't get a chance to try the sausage! I totally forgot to eat, caught up in listening and talking.

So that's how you stay so slim!

Agree, Kirk's speakers were terrific. As for your fancy DAC, yeah, it was as drastic as it gets when it got taken out of the system, which left me with a strong hunch it could have been something major to do with impedance matching, 'cause the CD player going straight into the Jungson integrated could have peeled paint off the walls.

Evan (240sx4u), I think your speakers showed promise after a few hours' break in.

Rich (Prisoners), it was great seeing you again, and thanks a bunch for the yummy sausage and peppers!

And naturally huge thanks to hosts Bob and Colette, who outdid themselves yet again!

See you all in a couple of weeks!

Many thanks to Bob and Collette for opening up their house to us all!
As usual very interesting to hear all the equipment interactions, some better than others.

I was enjoying the Altec 604 e (is that right?) driven by the big silver amp (Jungson?) I can see why the Altecs have such a good reputation.

Too bad the ambient recovery thing wasn't working on my speakers, must have been the wire, as it works fine here...

Bob and Collette, thanks again for letting us tear up your house.

For the first time ever, I didn't bring anything. I just came to talk, and listen, and eat, and talk, and listen some more. Mission accomplished.

And for those who didn't spend enough quality time in the kitchen, both the chili AND the sausage were great.

Great seeing everybody again!

Yeah the altecs did sound good on that Jungson amp. This was a fun trip, I got to hear a lot of equipment I have never heard before. Kirk, your speakers sounded very nice. I wonder if that super light gauge wire was causing trouble for you.

Lots of great stuff, thanks to everyone for hauling all that gear. It was fun to hear such a wide variety of equipment.

Thanks for the compliments on the speakers.

Next time I'm bringing Slayer, even if it means staying until most people leave!

(Actually...if we play it that might drive the singer/songwriter crowd away!)

Some pictures.

cubdog

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 55