2016 - Piggy Front/Back on the RMAF

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2012' started by SuperDaveOz, Oct 20, 2015.

?

Would you Attend an AK Fest in Denver around RMAF?

Poll closed May 7, 2016.
  1. Yes, Denver is a great location in the Fall.

52.2%
  2. Yes, Front ending it to the RMAF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, Back ending it to the RMAF

8.7%
  4. Nope, I hate Denver

30.4%
  5. Nope, October is a bad time for me.

8.7%
  1. SuperDaveOz

SuperDaveOz Man of a Million Shunts

Denver at Night.png
    (Denver at night)

Just a thought to get this idea rolling. Maybe front or back end a 2016 or '17 AK Fest with the RMAF in Denver. Seems folks could make a business trip, personal trip, and also extend it a day or two or three in the front or back end along with the overwhelmingly huge RMAF. Sometimes things need a little helping hand if they can't stand on their own. Its not a shame to think about having this in a metro area central to the US, with lots of hotels in Oct having off season pricing (end of corp event pressures as well). Please take a moment to take the poll so folks know if this would work or not for you.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

How bout Motown...

3. loonze

loonze AK Subscriber Subscriber

how about Grand Rapids?

4. yoaudio

yoaudio Member

+1

5. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

To the OP:

For the purpose of this discussion, remembering that I was co-chair for nearly all of them, how do you define your use of the term, "AK Fest"?

I'm not being belligerent, here. I really want to know, so that we can discuss this idea, with a full understanding of your terms. I know what I mean, when I use the term. I just need to know what you mean, so that we can discuss this.

Wildcat and olson_jr like this.
  6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Marijuana is legal in CO. Reviews on page 51 Rolling Stone #1249.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

It is a noble idea for sure, but I think the drawback for many is that if it takes place before or after RMAF, it will not fall on a weekend. Trying to get time off, or using personal/vacation days, is a bit tricky especially since two days probably need to be set aside for travel. (For me, it's a long day's drive, but I'd do it.) A long weekend is easier for some to pull off, vs. doing a mid-week trip.

8. mpholland

mpholland R.I.P. Michael Sheppard Subscriber

The only way I see this as feasible is to have an AK gathering, or "subfest" during RMAF. That would be possibly trying to reserve a hotel specifically for AK members with rooms that could be setup with equipment and such. I don't see a stand alone type traditional AK fest as being anywhere near the realm of possibility do to many factors. Sponsors are not going to want to do two back to back events in one city, and people are not going to want (be able to afford) to take a full week for an audio ordeal. It sounds good on paper, but reality always has to rear its head in there.

9. a2colin

a2colin New Member

I'm a new member and am a little reluctant to put my two cents in, but that's never stopped me before. I'd love to attend an AK Fest. I'm from Michigan and went to tech school while in the Air Force at Lowry AFB, so I'd be happy in either place. Currently live in California (wife's home state :dunno:) so either would be a non trivial trip especially since I'd probably be driving a newly restored (read unreliable) 1968 MGB. Having a specific goal, such a conference (even if small) would more likely convince my better half to take up the challenge of the drive.

I've attended several quite small anime conventions and thoroughly enjoyed them all. So even if it's not on some grand scale, I hope that it's given a shot. If there is something that I could do to help make it happen I would try.

10. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

What I want to know is why do we have to draw pigs into this discussion?

Regards
    Mister Pig

11. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done!

How about Toronto :D

12. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

Because...

ribz.jpg

:D

jgettis likes this.
  13. jntit