2017 Play List (New Releases)

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
The last two years I have done a new music thread.

2016 New Releases

2015 New Releases

I did this is response to threads where it was suggested that it's hard to find new music today or that most new music was not as good as new music of the past was. The format was such that I and most the contributors did a brief review and rating of new releases.

This proved to be a lot of work and that seemed to limit the input.

So this year, I am going to go with a simple 2017 spin list. This let's everyone know what is new and being listened to without the demand of reviewing and rating it.

I am, sure all contributors, as in all the spin threads, will be happy to share their opinions if asked.

Hope this helps people find great new music!

My first 2017 spin:

MI0004172673.jpg

Renée Fleming / Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra
Distant Light

Release Date
January 6, 2017
Genre

Classical
Styles

Vocal Music

great voice!

homepage_large.633fb380.jpg

Brian Eno ~ Reflection
Warp Records (1 Jan 2017)

Eno working in pure ambient mode, not the song/ambient hybrid he used for his The Ship album last year.
I bought the double LP version, but the included download is a single 52 minute track.
There's also a $40 "generative" version that is an iOS/Apple TV app.

Eno: “This music would unfold differently all the time–‘like sitting by a river’: it’s always the same river, but it’s always changing.”

homepage_large.633fb380.jpg

Brian Eno ~ Reflection
Warp Records (1 Jan 2017)

Eno working in pure ambient mode, not the song/ambient hybrid he used for his The Ship album last year.
I bought the double LP version, but the included download is a single 52 minute track.
There's also a $40 "generative" version that is an iOS/Apple TV app.

Eno: “This music would unfold differently all the time–‘like sitting by a river’: it’s always the same river, but it’s always changing.”

Good post, I have this on the way.

I like the idea of a one song format.

Ty Segall
Ty Segall
(2017, Drag City)
220px-Tysegallalbum2017.jpg

I just got this from DC today and only had a chance to play it through once, but I really like it. I can't fathom how this guy puts out nearly an album a year, and not one a dud. A few of the tracks were meh, but the majority of this is great. Songs range from almost dead-style jams to near-ballads to psych garage. It's a very unique mix and, well, very Ty Segall. I read another review which gave this an 8/10 and I'd have to agree. Not his best, but if this is his worst, it's still great. Now, when will he release his next album? :)

The Shins - Heartworms
Release date: March 10, 2017 (upcoming)
Genre - Indie

take a listen....links to two of the singles from the album

I miss The Shins before James Mercer turned them into "James Mercer and the disposable support"

After "Wincing the Night Away", they weren't the same (literally).

Last edited:
I miss the

I miss The Shins before James Mercer turned them into "James Mercer and the disposable support"

After "Wincing the Night Away", they weren't the same (literally).

I agree...I do hope that he can reacquire the sound of the first albums, but I do not know if that's possible.

Back
Top Bottom