2019 AXPONA and RMAF

Chicago. So it's just a short jaunt up the I-294 tollway to I-290 en route to the Renaissance Convention Center/Hotel.
Excellent! I'm just 15 minutes shy of being five hours out, but it goes by quickly. My I-Pass is preloaded and ready to go. :D It kind of sucks that it is so close to tax day, but on the other hand, that kind of keeps me from going a bit overboard on buying anything large at the show.

Fingers crossed for way better weather next year. I could have done without the sleet and snow!

This could be done! 150 2" pinback buttons cost less than $50.00. Just coming up with an identifier on the button would be hard, (especially if using AK's), then mailing them to those interested.
I'd like to go this year. To bad we couldn't figure out a way to id ourselves to other AK'ers.

Last minute gift idea, they say!

A three day pass to AXPONA is your best value to hear the incredible number of high-fidelity sound systems that will be playing at AXPONA in 2019. Plus we're offering an additional 10% savings on three day passes with Coupon Code: MERRY !​

I am now just a five hour drive from Denver so I'll be at RMAF. Hope to meet up with some SMACers.
I'm already mostly committed to going (I have the room, and am setting a few weeks aside to include it in a longer trip if I can), so I will drop you an email once I'm 100% positive it is a "go." :thumbsup:

Happens I'll be in Denver during RMAF, but have no idea if a noob like me would enjoy it. What goes on there? I'm most interested in tube gear and speakers, will there be demos of stuff like that? What else? Sounds like fun but would hate to go if its over my head. Ah, just noticed I'm in the SMAC forum, will look see it this gets discusses AK-wide.

Happens I'll be in Denver during RMAF, but have no idea if a noob like me would enjoy it. What goes on there? I'm most interested in tube gear and speakers, will there be demos of stuff like that? What else? Sounds like fun but would hate to go if its over my head. Ah, just noticed I'm in the SMAC forum, will look see it this gets discusses AK-wide.
I may start a thread in Events/Happenings, or even ask that this one be moved. Some of us locals connect at AXPONA, and a few have attended RMAF, so I was just putting out feelers. Aside from a couple of us, though, I doubt many are going this year, as our club mailing list has had zero activity on it so far.

What's an audio show like? I can give you a glimpse of AXPONA as a rough example.

The emphasis is on the rooms. It is usually a manufacturer or dealer/rep that sets up a room where they demonstrate a system. Dealers/reps will put together one of their better systems with a mix of components. Manufacturers tend to feature their own products more heavily (including some that may be on display and not hooked up). It is interesting when you can speak with the owners or engineers at the shows. At last year's AXPONA, you could have visited Andrew Jones (speakers) and Peter Madnick (electronics) of ELAC, Paul McGowan of PS Audio (and his son Scott, who spearheaded the Sprout), Richard Vandersteen, Gayle Sanders of Eikon Audio (a co-founder of Martin Logan who has a new company and product line now), Angela Cardas (of Cardas Audio), Mat Weisfeld (VPI) and jeez, I could probably name a couple dozen more if my memory wasn't so poor. @GordonW was there with The Audio Company demonstrating a monster of a system that a lot of us really enjoyed (I think this was the infamous "million dollar system"). There is also a separate area set aside for headphones.

On the main floor, you can also attend lectures on various audiophile topics. Fremer's turntable setup clinic is worth a visit if you haven't seen it as of yet. I liked the Legends of High End Audio panel a couple of years ago when Dave Wilson (Wilson Audio), Kevin Hays (VAC), Dan D'Agostino and Richard Vandersteen took part in. There is also the overpriced "convention food" that I endure because I don't want to waste an hour or three leaving for lunch. (I can eat anytime; I can't attend an audio show anytime.)

A marketplace is addicting--don't attend if you can't resist! :D Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and a few others sell new vinyl there. Some vendors sell used cables (like Morrow Audio). Other sell accessories. Some dealers or manufacturers host tables there as well. One of my buddy's co-workers and her husband had a table the one year, selling mid century influenced custom-built cabinetry, made to order. Beautiful work!

Saturday evening, there is usually a live performance. Last year's was a Chicago blues revue. (Plenty of seats available--about 1/3 were empty.) RMAF probably offers live music as well.

Are the components out of our reach? Sure! I can't afford just about everything there. But it's great to see it in person. I always buy a few things in the marketplace, and I learned to make it my first stop on opening day. I also get ideas from what I see in the rooms--I buy mainly used equipment, but hearing new equipment or technology from some of those manufacturers directly influences what I end up buying. Talking with some of the engineers and reps is also enlightening. And hanging out with audiophile pals is one of the best parts of it. I usually hang with my Chicago gang one of the evenings, visit with SMAC pals who attend if we happen to cross paths (usually Saturday evenings or at breakfast), and often meet a few others in passing.

RMAF is a little different--it runs on a smaller scale, but still a nice show, and it will have a lot of the same participants and events. I haven't yet attended RMAF to compare, but I find that some manufacturers prefer one show over the other, and they are likely to have a nicer system on demo if they are closer to home.

Thanks for the post Wildcat! I, like you, probably can't afford stuff like that but am curoius, and if the weekend is entertaining, then why not? I booked a room at the Gaylord that has a 72 hour cancellation so I have time to read up on it! Good tip on the overpriced food, I'll bring some!

I got a room two miles away at the Baymont Inn & Suites for $120-ish. I saw the Gaylord's prices and decided since I'm staying a few days (I think I have at least five nights reserved), and I'm driving in, it'd be a better value.

Tomorrow (Sunday 1/27) is the last day for "early bird" pricing for show tickets!
Oops, I need to jump on that. I've been debating which pass to get, so I'll have to make up my mind today. (3-day, but regular vs. industry pass.)

Been thinking about going to Axpona this year. I almost always go to RMAF (missed 2018 due to business trip to Europe) and will be there again this year :)

Reactions: DC
I certainly hope I can I get into the MQA Demos with a standard three-day ticket!
I'm sure bob stuart will appreciate someone showing up for its funeral. :D You may need the four day ticket for that.

You'll find me in the Qobuz room, the Marketplace, or in my room bartending with the party speakers going. "Manhattan Boy" has already requested the sweet vermouth. :D And I may be easy to find if my t-shirt matches my avatar...

Definitely going to Axpona, I have been to every one (pretty easy since I live in Chicagoland). RMAF, maybe. Undecided. Enjoyed the only one I went to several years ago.

Todd, (oldguy8), are you going? Carpool from RKFD?
Got my ticket. I'm likely going with two Rockford Guys I road with last two years. When we get closer to April, I'll see what's going on there. Should be about my turn to drive. I'll get back to you. Or jolt me.

Last edited:
Just announced as Saturday's concert:

AXPONA ticket holders are invited to an evening with Seth Walker, an American electric blues singer, guitarist, and songwriter.

Walker just released his tenth studio recording, 'Are You Open', which includes bold and infectious songwriting. It features melodies and rhythms drawn from Walker’s time spent in Havana and filtered through his split-screen life in New Orleans and Nashville. The result is a melting pot of sounds and perspectives, a soulful brew of roots music from the Americas and beyond. Songs frequently build off of a single chord, shifting in color and tone as they ebb and flow and stack layer upon layer over hypnotic bass lines and percussion grooves.

Seth Walker is excited to share his new sounds and textures with AXPONA's music lovers!​

I attended the concert last year. Not really my cuppa tea so I'll pass on it this year (got some networking to do ;) but I may stop by for a couple of tunes), but to anyone who remembers the old AXPONA gigs being packed, the larger ballroom this time has plenty of seats, and I would bet it was only 3/4 full at the most.

Back
Top Bottom