2019 Superbowl had lowest TV ratings in 10 years

petes'picks

Superbowl had 87.7 million viewers yesterday which was a 5.2% drop from 2018. Considering 2018 suffered a 8% drop from 2017 the NFL has to be somewhat worried. New Orleans had a 26 rating last night while last year they had a 53 rating and usually has one of the highest ratings of metered markets on any given Sunday.
I think its a combination of Patriot fatigue, fans questioning NFLs integrity and they are tired of politics being brought into their favorite escapes.

Last edited:
Feel bad for New Orleans. They had the offense to outscore NE and keep them from ganging up in the box like they did against LA.

Hard to believe the commisoner of the NFL can't stop an important game(NO LA) in its tracks from an obvious game changing blown call on the field, and send it back to the booth for further review. Really, it should be his job while he is watching the game eating popcorn to ensure the integrity of the game he manages.

Last edited:
Boring game.

NFL ratings have been slowly dropping.

Have to believe their next tv contract will be lower.

We spend all year with the remote trying to avoid commercials, the Stupor Bowl comes around and all of a sudden we have millions of people scrounging YouTube for previews of commercials and speaking for days afterward about them?

I don't get it.

The Saints no call ruined it for me... there were a few bad mistakes made by officials during the playoffs,, but that was the Officials Super Bowl, unless of course, it was rigged???? Seems there are three teams on the field anymore, and the winner has to out play/wit two of them to win...
Be nice to see the NFL get boycotted next year, and see how they react... No one buys tickets for one year,,, Maybe the advertisers would think about pulling out also...

SuperBowl is not "Must See TV" for us - we DVR it simply to check for clever commercials a day or so later -
We had a number of episodes of the PBS show "American Experience" in the DVR, so we watched an episode about Nikola Tesla instead -
much more entertaining! We did watch the Halftime "special" out of a perverse fascination ...

In his review of the Halftime show, Chris Richards WaPo Pop music critic said: "Maroon 5 has always been a sanitary wipe of a rock band..."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...0ada12-2828-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

NFL football holds zero interest for me. And, watching it for COMMERCIALS? Really?
We spend all year with the remote trying to avoid commercials, the Stupor Bowl comes around and all of a sudden we have millions of people scrounging YouTube for previews of commercials and speaking for days afterward about them?

I don't get it.
People are mostly lemmings. Mob mentality rules, now.
No shit. Talk about being a sap...

Well I feel better now.:whip:

I find that the commercials are sometimes/most often better than the game.
Nothing about this last SB was memorable including the half time show. I must be getting older but none of the music this year was interesting to me. Been getting like that for a few years now. I must be way outa touch and kinda glad I am.
It would have been nice to see more of the drones. I just caught a few seconds of them spelling out some words.

I was hoping for a far more exciting game, but this one petered out with LA's inability to move the ball.
Unfortunately, good defensive football isn't very exciting, and both defenses outshone the offenses.

The matchup was good too as the Rams were highly rated all season long; no Cinderella there. So while the game was dull, I think the matchup was not the problem, unless LA failed to support it's team. Again...

Any resemblance the Super Bowl has to American football is coincidental.

For a halftime show they should put a marching band out there like in...you know...football. Michigan, USC or Notre Dame. Of course even watching college football you don’t see the bands anymore because at half time the networks go to “College Football Central” or some such bullshit so that you can watch pedantic talking heads talk breathlessly about games other than the one you’re watching. So the viewers can be chest thumping experts on many trivial events instead of just enjoying a single trivial event. Jag offs.

It had to hurt that a whole lot of people thought that the Rams didn't deserve to be there and having the Pats there again was a ho hum moment.

I think its a combination of Patriot fatigue

While I agree w/ several other of your points in the OP, I think this comment is The Key. Not only is America (and, maybe, "the world"?) bored of seeing The Patriots, they're tired of seeing a team from New England @ and winning the SB. They wanna see teams that represent The Heartland, The South(east &/or west), The Mid Atlantic States, etc. Hell, I think they'd even love to see The Cowboys back at it.

Wanna boost viewership in 2020? Recast the '85 Bowl, the one @ which Da Bears knocked the **** outta .... The Patriots! Use a bit of that "CGI trickery" or similar to superimpose "Tom Brady" over Tony Eason, then enjoy watching Buddy Ryan's menacing defensive unit, e.g., Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, Mike Singletary, and "Fridge" Perry, toss Brady about like a ragdoll all over hell's half acre.

Or maybe don't, but if NE is back at it a-g-a-i-n, the networks' precious viewership will be still more diminished. Bet on it.

Ok, it's back to Thrash Metal and an economics problem set.

Bombs away...

Worst Super Bowl ever and my team played (and lost badly). Half time show was terrible. I watched the first 10 seconds and skipped the rest.

Back
Top Bottom