21 year old Klipschhorns

LotusFool

My wife is going to sheetrock our living room, so the stereo rig was moved yesterday. In the back of one of my Khorns I saw a tag that said made by "somebody" 1997. That means my speakers are now 21 years old. I bought them used 10 years ago. At what point in time might the woffers need re-foaming, and should I take a look? I don't even know where and how to see the woffers. I'd say they sound fine, but at 21 years old, maybe I should inspect them somehow.

Thanks
Gary

They never need refoaming...they have accordian style surrounds. Main thing would be to snug up all the bolts, nuts, and screws.

Your wife is going to sheetrock the living room?

your crossovers might need freshening but just enjoy...BECtoo on this Forum does crossovers for Klipsch and has very nice prices... critesspeakers.com

To see / gain access to the woofers, you need to (if I recall) remove the grill on the side and there should be an access panel there. Might even be where the wires go through. I don't recall....been near 12 years since I had mine to look at them.

I agree that you shouldn't ever need to replace the woofers. I think they used a cloth surround (?) and it's going to last a long time unless they get hit with some serious sonic abuse.

My LaScalas are 1979 and have original drivers in them.

Gee, I am still curios about the 'wife going to sheet-rock ... ' comment. I am proud of my wife - who paints and will performs a variety of small repairs. Sheet-rocking is two levels (at least) above these skills. So where did you find this gem? Of course, having skills means that she has higher expectations of you -on what you can do, both in quantity (time) and quality (you poor bastard).

"so the stereo rig was moved"

Hmmm, note the passive sentence structure, ie, not "I moved the stereo..."

She do that, too? How is she at running wire in tight attics? I may need to borrow her, as well.

The 41yo pair of Khorns I owned still had original drivers with no issues, except that I recapped the crossovers.

I moved the McIntosh stuff, but she moved the Kornerhorns! They slide well on carpeting. I hurt my back 6 weeks ago removing a cherry tree, so she's trying to do all the heavy work for me. Glad to hear I don't have to inspect the woffers.

Had a pair of Khorns for 25 years, never had a single issue. They are nearly indestructible. Kinda wish I still had them.

625756.jpg DSN_9947.jpg View attachment 1227265 When my better half bought her house it had 1/8th inch paneling attached to 1 X ^6 studs. So when she decided to take the partition out between the living room and family room all the paneling was
removed and the walls were filled with a treated paper insulation and double sheet rocked with either 3/4 or 5/8 inch. She also made them double sheet rock the ceilings and add a layer to the sheet rock in the living room after filling the cavities with insulation. She installed a Spanish or Moroccan tile on one wall. Thick carpet was installed with soft padded furniture and soft padded drapes . Her Beta speakers sounded Great. What was a Beta Speaker. Basically a 4 ft tall La Scala, but with a direct radiating 15 " woofer feeding a short horn that was ported looking a like a Tannoy Westminster that had been shrunk with a the La Scala top on top. The speakers were between a Cornwall and Klipschorn in size with the same response as the Cornwall. The didn't need to be placed in corners unless placed in a hard room.
Its a shame they never really caught on as we wished, Big speakers were on the way out in popularity by the early 70's. The company made three different sizes as I remember. The smallest unit about 8 " taller than a Hersey and half the size of a Belle really out performed both of them though not as efficient as the Belle. You can tell the crossovers were 6 db per octave which gave the system a different sound, too. I wonder how they would sound with modern Klipsch or Crites new drivers? The second photo shows what the wall looked like two years ago Christmas.

Last edited:
Never will need a re foam not a foam surround. At the young age of those they really should need nothing. I guess if you want to do something I guess you could upgrade crossovers. I am sitting here with my 50 year old Corn walls and planning to do mine soon.. but they still sound amazing at the age of 50. Cheers!

The midrange and tweeter may need new diaphragms, maybe not. But I would look at replacing the xovers even if the caps are still ok. Better performance can be had in the aftermarket. I have a pair of Volti VX xovers and it was a pretty big improvement over the stock AA, even after a cap refresh.

Back
Top Bottom