BeerLegs

Today, I was listening to my 2110 tuner to something near 108 on the dial. I then grabbed the gyro touch tuning flywheel and gave it the whirl. Weee-Yippie!! It felt really good doing that. The dial indicator went all way past the 88 mark. So smooth. Haha! It wasn't alway that way.

When I bought it, it did work. Typical of old tuners, the dial pointer was off. It also had some play in it that was apparent when you tried to go back and forth trying to fine tune a station in. The play was happening somewhere near the gang flywheel and shaft. Sometimes you had to tap the side of it to get the oscilloscope to work. But it worked.

I finally took it to Casper at Stereorehab for a full rehab. He did a complete recap with fresh Nichicon caps to it, including the scope circuitry. For the slop in the dial indicator, he said that the gang gear reduction assembly was not preloaded. Missing a spring I think he said. He fixed that too. Oiled all the tuning string pulleys, gyro tuning flywheel and gear reduction assembly, aligned both the AM and FM oscillators, peaked I.F. stages, aligned the MPX and aligned the scope for beam position at the center of the CRT.

It sounds and works like heaven now. I hooked it up to my Antenna Craft FM-6 antenna, and it is picking up a lot of stations now. Even my favorite distant low powered college radio station in stereo rather well.

I know that it's only a 3 gang tuner, and I do have several other tuners, including the one on top of it, that are better. But, none of them have a scope, and gyro touch tuning! Ha!

Sorry for the crappy picture.

20180721_165439.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful tuner! I have never seen a Marantz component tuner with a scope. That’s very cool. Glad you went the distance and brought it back to life. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom