ADS M12 speakers

tientsdo

I have a pair of ADS M12 that have a distorted bass sound at hi listening level,I saw posting about faulty inductor in the xover network,anybody who own these speakers happen to know where can I find those inductor?how do I get inside the M12 cabinet,it looks really tricky,the only way I think is from the front,but I don't know how to remove those woofers without damaging the surround,any help would be greatly appreciated
thank.

What does the distortion sound like?
Are the surrounds for the woofers foam or...?
What are you using to power them?
What music are you listening to?

it sounds like the voicecoil is rubbing,the surround are rubber and both woofers look like new,I power them with an integrated amp luxman lx104,I listen to mostly classics rock,blues.
I think there's an updade version of the M12,the M12/90 and the only difference is the new inductor,I tried to find owner of these speakers probably some of them might have the info I need.

Try pressing the cone in with your hand around the outside edge of the cone, if it rubs your VC is likely the culprit and it will need to be reconed.

It sounds like it could be the distortion issue. It could also be your amplifier clipping, there is a fine line. IIRC, the change in the crossover was value-for-value exact. In other words, the same value coil is used but with higher saturation levels. To get into the cabinet you need to pull the bottom woofer and fiberglass then you can see the crossover. The inductor in question will be the largest one on the PCB and the value will be marked on it.

hi soundmotor! I get to the pcb and see the huge 6.25mh coil,how do I remove the pcb,I don't see no screw or anything like that,do they glue the pcb to the frame,cannot be like that.Any suggestions?

I wasn't on the assembly line, you've got the speakers in front of you.....deduction.....

holmes1.jpg

Possibilities-

I've seen' em indeed hot-glued.

Sometimes screws. Even rivets.

Also seen some mounted entegral to the speaker terminal cup.

I've also seen them attached with ties- twist and zip.

Great speakers- let us know when you figure out the way they mounted them- and be careful removing as to not break anything.

I think I know how they mounted the pcb to the piece of wood that is attached to the frame,the are 4 inductors at the 4 corners of the pcb,each one have a nut on top,those 4 nuts sure hold the pcb to the frame,I'm waiting for the inductors to get here before I remove the xover network,thank for your guys help,will keep u updated.
cheer.

OK, well I got the same problem as the other gentleman. A pair of M-12's with the inductor distortion. I got the woofer pulled, and got a good look at the crossover. Now, it's the 6.25 mH coil that needs replacing. But i need to make sure the one I put in has "better" specs so as to not create the same problem. What form of inductor do I need? What other specs do I need to look for? I assume I can't just replace it with a standard air core copper wire coil. I've included pictures of this crossover

IMGP1940.JPG

IMGP1947.JPG

My brother picked up a pair of nice A/D/S M12 speakers in the Portland area (AK'er?).

He was complaining the bass was a little sparse running on his newer Onkyo reciever. I went over there for a listen today and I also took my Nakamichi 620 amp and 630 preamp. I agreed, the speakers were fine up high but even with the 100wpc NAK the (4) 8" woofers should have more low end especially in a fairly large box. Doing some research on the site, I found this thread.

Was this issue ever resolved?

Looks like I might need a couple of these? http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils14Gauge/ESQ55-14-6500

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I had a mint pair of M12/90 speakers and was not impressed with the bass response. I only kept them a short time. I much preferred the bass from the older L1290. It seems a rather small investment to upgrade the inductor IF you are otherwise satisfied with the bass at "lower than distortion" levels.

I had a mint pair of M12/90 speakers and was not impressed with the bass response. I only kept them a short time. I much preferred the bass from the older L1290. It seems a rather small investment to upgrade the inductor IF you are otherwise satisfied with the bass at "lower than distortion" levels.

Thanks Columbo. Not good to hear the M12/90 was not any better in the low Hz. Was the M12/90 bi-amp-able? These M12 don't seem to have as much bass as my L1090s but as they are not in my home I can't compare directly.

Suffice it to say the M series are nothing like the L series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom