2238B Restore

Yup you'd think that, the thing that tipped me was looking at all the other posts of people with the same issue of low test voltage and the fact that you practically shot gunned the power board., it just didn't add up. Glad it's working!

You're welcome, Now - back to cleaning the house...

Took that pic myself. Front row directly in front of Alex at Summerfest in 2007. Best fricking day of my life.

Our family has a cottage on Lake muskoka in Ontario, rush's manager's cottage is next door, I've still yet to meet the boys. I saw them at scotiabank place a couple of years ago here in Ottawa, they put on a hell of a show.

Last edited:
Watching this thread because Ive rebuilt my 2238b. Everything works great except the tuning and signal meters. They wanna drift way to the left, I understand the strength meter might drift completely left but the tuning meter? It works but is drifting left and cannot center it to the middle. I realize it probably needs a alignment but is there a trimmer I can adjust to center the tuning meter? Any help would be appreciated.

What probably needs adjustment is the discriminator, which is a usually a dual coil with two adjustment slugs and requires a specific tool to adjust (the wrong tool can strip or crack the slug, which may brick the tuner). In general, the antenna is disconnected and the tuner de-tuned to a point on the dial where there is no signal and the coil adjusted so that the meter is centered.

Glenn could it be the HA1196 ic chip. I'm not getting stereo in FM either. The bulb is good and get stereo in all other functions.

I have looked but do not have the proper tools to adjust. Looks like an allen wrench hole at the top. Don't want to really mess that up any further. Thanks guys.

I'm restoring one of these just now but having removed C307 0.22uf 50v it's got BP on it so is non-polarized which differs from the part listed in post #10 and the service manual. The unit i'm working on looks untouched and factory. I don't have that value at hand and want to wrap this job up today is it possible to use a 0.22 Panasonic film cap as a replacement?
Any help would be appreciated.

You can almost always replace an electrolytic cap with a film cap of the same value and at least the same voltage.

Tom

You can almost always replace an electrolytic cap with a film cap of the same value and at least the same voltage.

Tom
Thanks Tom i appreciate your reply.
I knew about replacing electrolytic with films but with this one being bi-polar i just wanted to dbl check.

C701 3.3UF 25V The silkscreen polarity on the circuit board is wrong for this one, last board to go tomorrow the tone board that'll be fun.

Finished the restoration today very enjoyable it was throughout.
All caps,some diodes, relay and all the power supply and amp adjustments.
The power amp adjustment was taking it's time to settle for 23mV it fluctuates quite a bit both channels but came in ok after giving it a few minutes.
Sounds fantastic but there is heat from the outputs heatsink not that it would burn you but there's a definite warmth there and i'm getting 0.06mv and 4mv DC on the speaker terminals is that acceptable???

Back
Top Bottom