2x receivers, which to keep?

Notarex

Overzealous new guy here, had an Ebay offer accepted at the very last minute which means I am now the proud owner of two vintage receivers :eek:. Backstory in my intro thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-guy-from-n-h.854435/
I jumped feet first into vintage audio, man there are a ton of models and stuff to look out for! Being a cheap bastard I was looking for something around $100-150 to power my Klipsch Forte I's. Low volume listening, clean and attractive being my goals. I had read that the twin power HKs were a good match for Klipsch so I put in an offer for a HK 630. No response for two days so I ended up buying a Pioneer SX 550. Last minute, the offer was accepted for the HK so now I have both. It will be interesting to put them back to back and see which sounds better- the loser will get resold or traded for a turntable. Or maybe I'll keep it and stash it somewhere where my wife won't find it :rflmao:

I look forward to sharing my impressions when they arrive

Two receivers is not considered too many around here. I think I have six at the moment. Welcome to AK.org

@Notarex , definitely consider the wise advice of @jbrainey here and think in terms of "my B system so I've got something decent to listen to while I repair/recap/tweak/rest my A system".

Both the HK630 and the Pioneer SX-550 are discrete, direct-coupled solid state designs. So, they are more neutral than earlier cap-coupled models (like the HK330B or Pioneer SX-626), they use parts (transistors) that are very easy to replace, and the designs aren't hard to work on. So, either would give you good, low-to-mid power, and both are inexpensive to recap or repair.

The HK 630 has two transformers and power supplies, the "twin power" family, and that should give both channels more power when the audio places demands on them. You could, if you ever wanted to, upgrade to the 730 or 930 and expect roughly equivalent sound and more power.

The Pioneer SX-550 is in the era when Pioneer started switching the output transistors from discrete devices (individual transistors and accompanying caps and resistors) to amp pack devices (all of the above inside a proprietary, fixed box of stuff). These power packs are harder to find and therefore can be pricey. But, your 550 is one of the x50 family that doesn't have the power pack. So, you've got regular transistors and such, easy to work on, and just a few medium-difficulty-to-find devices. [Edited to reflect reality instead of just my spotty memory.]

How many inputs or what kind do each have? What gear are you planning on running into them? Do you need a great phono stage? Do you listen to FM or AM at all? Those questions might help you narrow down your choice since otherwise these two receivers are very similar.

Last edited:
Doug, thanks that is great info :thumbsup:. Looks like each has a phono, aux and tape in/out. I'll eventually be running a turntable, but for now just FM and my old CD player.

I've had several mid-fi Pioneer receivers including the one you picked up. None of them sounded as good as the HK 430/630/730/930 to my ears. HK twins are sweet! I've got an idea. Sell the Pioneer and get another HK twin. You've got to stand your ground. LOL

Last edited:
@Notarex , definitely consider the wise advice of @jbrainey here and think in terms of "my B system so I've got something decent to listen to while I repair/recap/tweak/rest my A system".

Both the HK630 and the Pioneer SX-550 are discrete, direct-coupled solid state designs. So, they are more neutral than earlier cap-coupled models (like the HK330B or Pioneer SX-626), they use parts (transistors) that are very easy to replace, and the designs aren't hard to work on. So, either would give you good, low-to-mid power, and both are inexpensive to recap or repair.

The HK 630 has two transformers and power supplies, the "twin power" family, and that should give both channels more power when the audio places demands on them. You could, if you ever wanted to, upgrade to the 730 or 930 and expect roughly equivalent sound and more power.

The Pioneer SX-550 is in the era when Pioneer was switching the output transistors from discrete devices (individual transistors and accompanying caps and resistors) to amp pack devices (all of the above inside a proprietary, fixed box of stuff). These power packs are harder to find and therefore can be pricey. But, your 550 is one of the few in the x50 family that doesn't have the power pack. So, you've got regular transistors and such, easy to work on, and just a few medium-difficulty-to-find devices.

How many inputs or what kind do each have? What gear are you planning on running into them? Do you need a great phono stage? Do you listen to FM or AM at all? Those questions might help you narrow down your choice since otherwise these two receivers are very similar.

I like Pioneers but that HK is also nice I would keep both of them....

@dlucy If I am not mistaken the 50 series is all discrete up to and including the 1250, the 80 series on the other hand went to the STKs and for the high end units batwing transistors. I have worked on the 750 and up all these are discrete.

I like Pioneers but that HK is also nice I would keep both of them....

@dlucy If I am not mistaken the 50 series is all discrete up to and including the 1250, the 80 series on the other hand went to the STKs and for the high end units batwing transistors. I have worked on the 750 and up all these are discrete.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. My first restore was a SX-450 and that was all discrete devices. The SX-650 that I opened up and then closed right back up has the first power packs I'd ever seen in a Pioneer (see clip from 650 manual below). Did the higher x50 units not also employ these things?

IMG_1405.PNG

decisions
1. which sounds better
2. which has more of the controls you might need (enough for CDP, SACD, streaming, hdmi audio, tape1/2/3/4, ipod/iPhone)
3. which is older (no difference if both are outside recap window) that will need care
4. which has parts that need more than money/love to buy
5. which has more units out there that you can buy as spares for the unobtanium parts inside.

if he has to stash one receiver, WAF might need to be added to @Bob's list.

I only have 4 receivers and only a kr-9400 is in use.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. My first restore was a SX-450 and that was all discrete devices. The SX-650 that I opened up and then closed right back up has the first power packs I'd ever seen in a Pioneer (see clip from 650 manual below). Did the higher x50 units not also employ these things?

View attachment 1394443
Well the sx-650 was the one I had never open up and wouldn't you know this is the only one with STKs. Like I said SX-750 and up are all transistors no power packs. The 80 series is where they went to using these in units upto and including the sx 780.

actually one more option

6. have working backup receiver(s) just in case of emergencies
(party coming up, lightning strike, alien abduction of owner& receiver, battery powered if no AC)

I had an HK 630 in college. I initially had some trouble with it. Loose parts during shipping I believe. Got it fixed and it served me well. Wish I still had it. Part performance, part sentimentality. Presently I have two receivers as well, having just acquired an HK 560 in addition to my Lafayette LR-9090. My wife kind of questioned the need. Oh, I have a Sherwood RX-4105 as well, but it does not count in my book. The bride wanted something smaller and black. I hate it. It might be ok sound wise, but I can’t read a thing on it and nothing about it’s operation is intuitive.
Keep all those nice vintage units. Life is too short.

Two receivers is not considered too many around here. I think I have six at the moment. Welcome to AK.org

I was going to say this.

I don't consider myself even in the first tier of collectors here at AK as I only have one system and very rarely buy anything unless it somehow fits in my small collection. That said I still have 6 integrated amps, two power amps and two preamps. Oh and four tuners.

Two receivers is nothing to worry about at all. Compare them, keep the best or keep both.

Well- bad news. The pioneer showed up yesterday and the post office made sure to drop it on the tuner knob shattering the glass. Not sure what to do, I've notified the seller. Looking for a source for replacement glass, maybe I'll cut one from acrylic?

I've temporarily decided to keep both, USPS covered the damage thankfully. Back to back the HK 630 has the edge, although the Pioneer is a great looking and sounding receiver. Been listening to the pioneer for a few weeks while working on the HK (deoxit, cleaning and bulb change) and have now swapped them out so that I can start in on the Pioneer's tuner glass.

When all is said and done, it looks like I'll have two systems :eek: - I picked up a HK T25 turntable and while it was in the mail my father in law graciously gifted me his Dual 502 :bowdown:

Back
Top Bottom