MKG

Elvish-mark’d abortive, rooting hog
I answered a craigslist ad and bought about 3 pickup truck loads of speakers for $100. Some are in good shape, some need a new surround or driver, and some have trashed cabinets. I'm trying to sort out what I've bought, what's worth restoring/repairing/keeping and what is best turned into an art project or firewood. If anyone has any comments or experience on any of these I'd really appreciate it. You'll notice some things have question marks- I haven't tested any of these but the seller made some notes on them that I haven't confirmed. I've only brought home one truckload, I'll be bringing home the rest tomorrow so this list will grow:

Advent Baby Advent II (woofers need surrounds)
ADS L810 (one has bad tweet?)
Sharp cp-276
Sony ss-u305
Jc penny 3-way no model number???
Jbl L16 decade 16 (no drivers)
Sony ss-u380 (bad tweet?)
MCS 683-8228 (needs woofer surround)
Fisher STV-884
Fisher STV-721 (needs new tweet?)
Fisher ST-515
Kenwood JL-776 (needs mid)
Marantz SP1812 (woof needs surround)
Technics SB-2760 (trashed cabinet)
Scott S12T6
KLH SA9X (missing tweet & has a marantz woofer in one)
Kenwood KL-777x (bad tweets in both?)
Unknown larger bookshelf’s (pic)
Unknown on wheels (pic)

BTW, this is my first post, although I've been lurking for a long time as a non-member. My name is Micah. Hello all!

IMG_4105.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG

Kudos on the big score - sounds amazing!

Looks like a good time to become a subscriber
so you can offer some of the speakers for sale afterwards!
Oh, probably a good idea to list where you are in your user profile!

Oh, and welcome!

i had the speakers in your first picture and they were part of a stereo-kit named PILOT. total crap in my opinion. for the rest, i don't know all models you've listed but some are cool!

Congrats on the score and welcome to AK. The ADS L810's are a well regarded speaker. I don't know about the rest.

You have a fun weekend ahead of you!
Of all those listed, the ADS 810's are the ones to keep.
The JBL-16's may be worth finding correct drivers if the cabs are in good shape.
The rest, probably not worth doing much with unless you want some big garage spekers you don't care about.
Curious what's in the next truck load.
Have fun!
Glenn

Last edited:
Fix the ADS L810.

Bone the rest and flip the good drivers.

Salvage the copper from the crossovers and sell it.

Maybe try to flip the JBL cabs.

Burn the rest.

Trust me.
I get pallet loads of speakers from the recycle program. Good tweeters sell eventually for $10-$20 each, sometimes per pair. It takes a while.

The MCS speakers and the Advent Babies are also pretty well regarded. IMO the JBL cabs aren't worth refilling, you'd spend more on the drivers than they're worth. Agreed that the ADS are probably the best of this lot. The Scotts look interesting, they have dome tweeters, and should at least be worth a listen. Most of the rest of them are Kabuki (Kenwood) or rack system quality. Don't spend too much time on them, sell them for a nominal sum or put them on Craigslist free.

Assuming the MCS speakers look like this, they're worth repairing.

11188873-5567-3__62614.1510772984.jpg

Welcome to AK, Micah. You may have been lurking for a while, but you've made one heck of a splash with your first post! We're all looking forward to further posts and pics.

Just as everybody else has said, the pick of that litter - by far - are the L810s. Those speakers are on the "must have" list for many of us - myself included.

And I suspect that there may be a couple of other keepers in the bunch once you have a chance to audition them first-hand.

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: ADS L810
1320897-ads-l810-speakers.jpg

The Advents, ADS, JBLs and MCS are thd good ones of that bunch. The Scotts may be worth saving depending on what drivers are in them.

Thanks all for the warm welcome, the info so far, and for identifying one of the unnamed pairs. Thankfully I have a large shop and a very understanding fiance. I'll be picking up the other two loads this evening and will post a list of the rest as well as some photos. I'm hoping to find a few more gems in the crap. Hopefully I'll have time to start auditioning them tomorrow or monday.

Thanks all for the warm welcome, the info so far, and for identifying one of the unnamed pairs. Thankfully I have a large shop and a very understanding fiance. I'll be picking up the other two loads this evening and will post a list of the rest as well as some photos. I'm hoping to find a few more gems in the crap. Hopefully I'll have time to start auditioning them tomorrow or monday.
Keep us informed.. please.

And photos of your aquisition also.. please!

With prices of equipment still going up I’d look for other speakers for parts doners, I wouldn’t purchase any new replacement parts. Might even find cheap parts on the bay...

Back
Top Bottom