330 WPC worth this much?

Seeing how much even SX-1280's in not so nice shape are going for I think that is a more than fair price for that receiver seeing how rare they are and what great shape it is in and considering it is THE big dawg receiver of all time.

Seeing the price some Marantz 2500s have fetched and of course the Pioneer SX-1980 I would be highly surprised if someone did not buy that receiver. You can buy a lot of gear for that price though. Its got its air of exclusivity, I mean there are not many around, been only one on ebay before this that I remember having seen (though I may have missed one along the way I can't keep up with it all). Then again my Audiograph 2A100 is still more rare ;) If I had the spare cash I would take the plunge. Then again I just got a Project One Mark 1500 for $70... I can suffer with 150wpc for that kind of savings.

Whatever the merits of this unit are, I've always thought they were butt-ugly.

If I was to consider spending this much on a receiver, it would be a high-end Marantz. No one else made one as pleasing to the eye as those guys...not even Pioneer.

Echo- you really think it looks all that bad? I guess its a matter of taste, I don't think it looks too bad myself. I prefer blue lit dials on most receivers (Marantz, solid state Fisher, even the Olson RA-250 which I think is one of the nicest looking receivers around). There are exceptions though. I think the SA-1000 looks fine. I guess opinions can vary though, afterall I think the MCS 3125 is a cool looking receiver and I know some people don't care for it's design. If it was really up to me and I had the cash I would buy this and a Marantz! :D

Sorry, guys but...

why spend this much when you can step into some real tube stuff or some older Hafler SS stuff with upgraded driver boards? Better quality sound, IMHO, and there is clear irrational behavior going on for these monster receivers.

There are too many other viable options unless you've got to have one of these things along with yer Chev SS396.....

Cheers,

David

As the owner of fine gear on both the tube and solid state side, I would be hesistant of saying that going for a monster receiver is the wrong move. Take for instance that MCS 3125 I mentioned in the prior response I had. I would not hesistate to say that is one of the finest sounding pieces of gear I have owned, modern or vintage, tube or solid state. It is not up there with the really big ones (though the manual makes no hesitation to say it is capable of over 200wpc at full volume). A good deal of these monster receivers are well designed as well. Spec for spec that MCS will still rival many top amps of today. I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the manual so I can compare it to other stuff should it ever cross my path. Hop over to the gallery and take a look at some of the internal shots of my Project One Mark 1500 or Fisher RS-1058 (the latter by no means a monster, a puny 40lb 90wpc unit). Even with the lousy photo you can still see how straighforward the signal path on that Fisher is on the amp boards. The Fisher RS-1060 goes so far as to double shield the internal signal carrying wiring (with cute little rubber boots where the extra insulation is split off and it connects to the RCA inputs). Are they really inviable options either? Granted there are some fetching rediculous prices but I snapped some big ones up under $100, going as low as $.01 for the Audiograph 2A100. One cent for a 100wpc (estimated, you can pretty much figure at least that based on the parts used but information on this company is non existant). That seems fair in my estimation. Actually the MCS 3125 is the only one I paid over $100 for, and to get that mint condition faceplate on that big one was well worth it. I would be more than glad to put some of these big receivers up against some of the competition. The results might be surprising.

Echo- you really think it looks all that bad?
No...I've seen lots worse. But for that money, it better give me an orgasm every time I look at it, not to mention what it better do when I turn it on.

why spend this much when you can step into some real tube stuff
Dunno...some of us actually like SS gear. :hdphones:

I am one of the few who prefers the look of the Technics SA line to all the other receivers, Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer. I have owned/own all four brands and the only one that hasn't been sold is my Technics SA-500 (that and the Marantz I use as a basement system)

Well it is a rare unit and looks to be in very nice condition. I sure would like to see internal pictures of this receiver to see the construction quality, size of the heat sinks, output devices used, etc.

Certainly $1500 is a rather high STARTING price that may inhibit bidders. I think the seller would have been better off using a researve price and set the starting price much lower.

Butt ugly? , hardly, in my opinion. Then again I'm a guy that thinks the Kenwood KR-9600 is has a bitchin military look.

Anyway I think this unit should fetch whatever the market will bare.....

Lefty

My first reaction is that nobody in their right mind would pay $1,500 for a Technics...

But the stuff that happens on Ebay sometimes...:dunno: .......anything is possible.

Not a real hot seller, so may not be a great investment at $1,500

Marantz 2500, Pioneer SX1980 are a better purchase, and for less money more than likely.

It sort of feels like a contractor tht has too much work. They hit you with a high bid. If you take it fine. It not, they did't need the work anyway

Back
Top Bottom