400 comes home, FULL CIRCLE......................

I did give him my '56 Webcor Chorale Record Player and he plays his Glen Miller records on it. He's happiest when it's playing and he remembers things that are triggered by the music.

Larry, that is a wonderful image. Sometimes the simplest things can make all the difference.

My prayers go out to you and your family. Tom

Thanks guys. Hopefully we can keep Dad around until at least spring. I don't want to think about the holidays this year. Just one day at a time. His cardiac condition, along with his pulmonary disease has him physically beat down. I worry about that more than the alzheimers as the quacks are juggling his meds around just to keep him alive at this point. Mom has some Brain damage from 2 blown aneurysm's in 2003. Her space / time continuum is totally different from everyone else. What she thinks is 15 minutes can be anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. Getting her dressed can take all morning, and getting her ready for a commissary trip to Dover (70 miles up the road) starts at 0600 for a 2pm start time. Then if something isn't her brand, or in the size she wants, she raises hell. Dad can barely drive, Mom doesn't so either my sister Julie or I have the duty week on and week off. Next week is mine. Tuesday is commissary day, Wed and thursday are Dr. Appt's. So I'll put 600 or more miles on the Jimmy next week. Wish my other 2 sisters and my brother didn't live in Fla so they could take off some of the load.

As long as i take 1 day at a time worrying about Dad, I'm Ok. But anything over a week, and I'm like a lion with a thorn in a foot pad. So One Day at a time, and I'm ok with it.

Update: Dad fell off the front porch (the 8 lb Bishon Frische puppie pulled on the leash and pulled him off balance) and broke his neck on the 17th of Sept. No loss of function or neuro signs. Surgeon fixed the break with a pin and he's in a neck brace until March or so. So I was running back and forth all friggin week to Annapolis and or Seaford Delaware Daily. He went home the 23rd.

Then Dorcas got admitted to the hospital on the 29th Sept with acute Renal Failure brought on by Vasculitis. Daily dialysis and plasmapheresis got her under control some, but the underlying Vasculitis got worse and she died from multiple organ failure on 17th Oct2017 @ 4pm. She was cremated and buried in the National Veterans Cemetery in Baltimore.

The 400 is still on the bench waiting for me to finish it. Small projects 1st, like the 481A amp transformer, swapping room around, spackleing walls, and getting a dozen sheets of 3/8" drywall for the kitchen ceiling, the stove blowing a cal rod and it welding itself to the ceramic block connectors (the circuit breakers never tripped.), and taking the dog to the vet for shots and checkup's and pet-smart for nail trims every 3 weeks. Then I had an accident last weekend which may end up totaling my 2002 S-10 Quad cab. The adjuster ran a quicky look at his computer and quoted me $1800.00 in parts (junkyard parts...not at that price...WTF??!?!?!) with a total price around $4200....BS:bs::bs: I got the price list out from the local pick and pull and it was 401.87 + tax for parts. So Geico and I are gonna have it out! Something else I can bring to GEICO and say :bs:, as the 1st adjuster stated numerous times that the frame was probably out of whack, from a 5 second glance?. He never scooted under the car to look at the underside and the frame. So I may end up getting a check from them and doing the work myself and then sending it to a shop to get painted. Gonna see if I can find an S-10 in the same color 1st for the hood and the fender. But I'm not giving it up without a fight.

So the 400 sits patiently waiting for me to get some free time, and the wherewithal to sit down and finish it up.

100_5268.JPG

100_5270.JPG

100_5267.JPG

Last edited:
bummer, larry; you are getting more than your share of the shit
however, i'm hearing the fight still in your voice, which is good:)

Last edited:
Al.....With a Very Large Hammer. It took a 3ft crowbar to get the fender corner pryed off the hood, so I could open it. The fan "grenaded" Thursday and took out the radiator, so that goes on the list. Got under it yesterday and took some measurements on the frame. Did the same with the 95 Jimmy (same frame from the back end of the torsion bars fwd), and the measurements were very close! like within 1/16" +/- accounting for location errors and no jigs. Plus it tracks straight, doesn't pull, and the center support is just bent on the corner, not pushed sideways like the moron from GEICO thinks. When I get the parts I need to run it on the road (I've got the receipt for the parts and they are on the list) then I'm gonna request a more experienced adjuster, like some old fart like me.

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your folks. Dealing with my mom's blood pressure surges, helping in-laws to maintain sanity affected by their drug addict son and then work problems! It seems there is a daily hoop for me to jump through then 2 steps to recover and another hoop again.
This hobby helps though...

Al.....With a Very Large Hammer. It took a 3ft crowbar to get the fender corner pryed off the hood, so I could open it. The fan "grenaded" Thursday and took out the radiator, so that goes on the list. Got under it yesterday and took some measurements on the frame. Did the same with the 95 Jimmy (same frame from the back end of the torsion bars fwd), and the measurements were very close! like within 1/16" +/- accounting for location errors and no jigs. Plus it tracks straight, doesn't pull, and the center support is just bent on the corner, not pushed sideways like the moron from GEICO thinks. When I get the parts I need to run it on the road (I've got the receipt for the parts and they are on the list) then I'm gonna request a more experienced adjuster, like some old fart like me.

Was kidding with you Larry, hope it all works out and it will, Al

Glad your ok! :thumbsup:

UPDATE!! Lots of Changes.

The S-10 got FIXED, by me for just under $1K(and GEICO paid off on it too!), ran it up to last month and traded it in on a 2013 Yukon XL. The S-10 would pull the trailer on the flat's fairly well, but get a little incline and it would slow down terribly. Not good when on the Interstate doing 55 and little old ladies are passing you on the shoulder in a Factory stock '30 Model A.

Have a girl friend, Christa. We met back in late May and hit it off well. She's also widowed. Mutual Support. Slowly moving into her Condo, in Bel Air, (a lot of the gear is going to storage units) and......DRUM ROLL PLEASE!......I asked her to Marry me on XMAS(yes I gave her a ring, her Aunt Emily insisted I give Christa Emily's engagement ring from 1943(never married) HUGE SUCKER!). At least a year long engagement. She's got me Volunteering at a Balto. County Fire Co. in an ADMIN Role. She's been in EMS there since 1976.

Dad is still with us, although he's down to about 100lbs. Just went on Hospice, and is staying at my Sister's locally. Mother is in a rehab facility in Del. and can't go home until/unless there is 24/7 help. So she'll move in with my Brother in Fla. after Dad passes. Still have LUCY, although youngest son has her more than I do. He's renting the house, until he either buys it or if he can't, I'll sell it outright.

The 400 is in the queue. It's up next to get finished after I finish the LK-72 I'm working on. Got to build the IBAM/IBBA board and finish up the BIAS Section, install the tubes, and light it off.

Larry

Last edited:
Congrats on your engagement, Larry! Been through a lot of the other lately myself, so I can certainly empathize. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom