4408 Recap Suggestions

milo63

Everett, WA
Subscriber
I just bought a pair that need to be refoamed. While I'm refreshing I'd like to recap.

I recapped my 4406's after I blew a crossover (beer and Sabbath) and it made a huge difference in clarity. I just used Dayton caps from PE, is there a better option or are Dayton's fine?
There's no Dayton 3mfd cap available so some substitute is needed.

I just bought a pair that need to be refoamed. While I'm refreshing I'd like to recap.

I recapped my 4406's after I blew a crossover (beer and Sabbath) and it made a huge difference in clarity. I just used Dayton caps from PE, is there a better option or are Dayton's fine?
There's no Dayton 3mfd cap available so some substitute is needed.

Do you have a schematic you can share? That would make it a lot easier to make recommendations.

Sonicap makes a 3.0uF. Based on the value (and without a schematic), I'm going to assume this is a series tweeter cap. If so, I've use Sonicap Gen1s in the tweeter circuits of several vintage JBLs and like the way they sound.

Here's a screenshot. No 3uf, got it confused with the 4406.

Visiting Mouser or Digikey is frustrating because I don't know the language yet...one day I'll figure it all out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

NdMDKh
30337116298_bc7a762578_b.jpg

That 4.0uF that's just shunting to ground cap be for sure a Dayton. The 5uF I can't say anything about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom