604-8G's or Tannoy 15' Golds?

postman56

Hello fellas, this have probably been debated til the cows come home, I've just picked up a pair of Altec 604-8G's and was wondering if I can expect greater
things than what I currently hear with my pair of Tannoy 15" Gold's in custom cabinets?
I understand crossovers and all make a difference, but in general terms?

Last edited:
I have always heard that the Tannoys are smoother than the Altecs, but have never heard them. I do know that my Altec Big Red Supers (tri-amped with in-line passive HF eq) sound very sweet and are certainly smoother sounding than my L300s. In fact, these were made for a recording studio (electronic crossover and HF eqs professionally created just for these speakers) and may just be some of the nicest sounding Altecs around regardless of vintage.

Momma Jo's Studio in North Hollywood used Altec Big Red Supers. I did some synthesizer tracks there (1975) and my speakers are similar except that theirs were sofit-mounted. All of these artists recorded on Big Red Supers at Momma Jo's back in the day:

From Wikipedia:

Dave's Room was built in the late 1960s by producer, and engineer Freddie Piro.[1] Originally called Mama Jo's, the studio was the first independent recording studio in North Hollywood, California. Albums by artists such as Richie Furay, Keith Green, Billy Joel, Pat Benatar, Amy Grant, Sam Phillips, Ambrosia, Ziggy Marley, George Michael, Love Song, Michael W. Smith, Margaret Becker, BeBe and CeCe Winans, Andraé Crouch and the Disciples, Blink 182, Chuck Girard, The Way, Smokey Robinson, Randy Stonehill, Sweet Comfort Band and Daniel Amos were recorded there.

Producers and engineers including Alan Parsons, Jack Joseph Puig, Jonathan David Brown, Al Perkins, T Bone Burnett, Andy Johns, Brown Bannister, Burt Bacharach and Larry Norman were clients during this period.

After falling into disrepair in the mid-2000s, in 2006 it was completely refurbished by David Bianco. Bianco restored the recording space with an eye toward maintaining the incredible period feel, and acoustics. The control room, originally designed by Vincent Van Haaff,[2] was updated technically. The main speakers were re-built using matching components from another Van Haaff-designed room at Larrabee Sound Studios, and was re-named Dave's Room.

Albums by Lucinda Williams, Blues Traveler, Bob Dylan, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Trombone Shorty, Exene Cervenka, Meghan Trainor, Bettye LaVette, Tift Merritt, Susan Tedeschi and Judith Owen were recorded there. Along with soundtrack music for The Muppets, Blades of Glory and Gangster Squad.

After Bianco's death, in June 2018[3] the studio was taken over by his longtime friends, and colleagues David Spreng and Paul "Fig" Figueroa with the support of the Bianco family.

When it became Dave's Room, they switched to Tannoy monitors and said they sounded better though it looks as if they have now gone to TADs still using Tannoy near field monitors.

http://www.davesroom.net/our-story/

Last edited:
Thank-you for the detailed reply.
Well the pair arrived, wonderful mids, maybe a bit less low end than my Tannoy 15" Red, s and I'm just trying to understand how the 604-8G crossover works, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

Well the pair arrived, wonderful mids, maybe a bit less low end than my Tannoy 15" Red, s and I'm just trying to understand how the 604-8G crossover works, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Ken
Hope you enjoy your Altec speakers. I just wanted to make a comment about the Tannoy and hope readers here who have experience would comment.
I an under the impression that the Tannoy 3808 pro series are the most efficient of the DC available at 94db but I am not certain so if readers know differently I would be happy to learn. The 3808 series had a totally re designed tweeter horn and phase plug design as it uses a shorter ceramic magnet compared to the older longer alnico magnets. I was told buy the head man at Tannoy America service many years ago that it is the best horn/phase plug that they had built to that time. I had a set of Silver then Gold then HPD and I like the 3808 best.

Ken

:needpics:

Here’s a few photos of the pair of Altec 604-8G’s in Tannoy Belvedere cabs.
When I bought these he gave me the pair of 15”Gold’s just in case:))

Attachments

• B0EF711C-66D7-4DEF-BFA8-2A7F7ACA8F8F.jpeg
    B0EF711C-66D7-4DEF-BFA8-2A7F7ACA8F8F.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 45D67B14-2893-41C6-92E2-177723E656F6.jpeg
    45D67B14-2893-41C6-92E2-177723E656F6.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 8B9AE4C7-6B4F-4379-8200-12A8E80BF527.jpeg
    8B9AE4C7-6B4F-4379-8200-12A8E80BF527.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 83
  • A52A9A0C-0940-405B-B921-7C71860CAF7B.jpeg
    A52A9A0C-0940-405B-B921-7C71860CAF7B.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 91
The older Altecs have a smooth roll off above 9 kHz or so with Alnico magnets. The latest models from Great Plains audio with the sectoral horn are much flatter all the way to 20,000 HZ. The 904 models with the Mantaray horn are pretty ragged in the highs. The earlier models with the Ceramic magnets, the tangerine phase plug are sort of in the middle. I could listen to 604 E's and G's all day long. I have not heard the latest reissue of the 604 with Alnico magnets but I imagine from the graph it to be a very nice speaker. The latest model with the sectoral horn that I have never heard might be a bit bright for me. But having Heard the 811 and 813 Urie with the sectorial horn on a 604 I found them to be delightful. The Tannoy's 15's I heard in the past can be a little to bright for me as I still have my hearing to 17 KHZ. I did hear a pair of Canterburys a few years ago and by changing the HF roll- off a bit found them to be wonder full speakers. Previous auditions of Tannoys over the years with out the roll-off were a bit to much for me in the HF's. Bass sound seemed to be a function of the enclosure most and with room placement. Everywhere from to dry to a little boomy and over exaggerated. Altec s have the same issue, so I always just say its the tuning and placement variables corrupting the sound. Some day it would be fun to hear both in large enclosures with out ports. I have a bucket list of speakers I want to hear before I pass on. JBL M2 and DD67000, Magnepan 30.7, Magico S7 and M6, the Altec 604's with a supplemental 15" woofer shown at the RMAF as I remember, and a pair of Westminsters by Tannoy. It might also be fun to hear a pair of the New Klipschorns and a Pair of Mcintosh XR 290's again. . I never heard a Steinway Lyngdorf speaker or any of the new Wilsons either ! OH! I want to hear a pair of Roger Russells IDS speakers. No crossovers and they are line arrays.

Back
Top Bottom