6N1P testing?

arts

Addicted Member
I have been all over the net trying to find ''the definitive answer'' to the question of testing the 6N1P double triode.
Seems that this type is a Russian oddball that crosses over with nothing else.I have tried testing it as several types mentioned,ie 6AQ8,6BQ7 (which seems to be sorta close,but no cigar!) and even the 6J6,just because the mechanical construction is rather similar:rolleyes: Anybody got better 411 on this?

I have done some measurements on 6N1P vs ECC88/6DJ8, and to make a long story short, they are not at all similar. See attached curves. Black is 6N1P and red is ECC88. These are measured on my utracer.

Attachments

• 6N1PvsECC88.png
    6N1PvsECC88.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 48
I've got nothing -- but I will note that Steve "Decware" Deckert's first "commercial" product, the EL84, single-ended, pseudo-triode SE-84 "Zen" amplifier, used the 6n1p as driver. Deckert suggested that the 6922 could also be used, and indeed I used a 6922 in that role in my SE-84B for most of the time I had it "on-line".

DSCN5766 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

So, to that extent, there was some degree of inter-operability of the two tube types. I realizes that this doesn't even address, much less answer the OP's question :p but I thought it interesting enough to be worthy of mention. (or not...)

SE84B in the dark by icouldbeahero, on Flickr

photo by my son: http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com

I'm sort of old and cheap so my old tube tester has nothing.
I wonder if maybe a modern one has settings for it.
Maybe you can score a surplus Russian tube tester:idea:

Hi everyone!
I have a question about tube rolling on my Ayon spark amp. My amp is a single ended class a which has two power tubes 6c33, two 6h30 as drivers and two 12au7 as inputs.
I replaced pair of 6h30 with a pair of 6n1p. After this change, my amp's sound improved in terms of gain and details.
What is happening? could be this harmful to my amp?
Thanks

If you are going to do some tube rolling replacing the 6N30P, I would suggest that you try the 6N6P which is closer to 6N30P than 6N1P.

I used this info when checking a 6N1 on my valve tester. It probably isn't perfect but does the job. The left most column is the negative grid voltage applied and the Green line is supposed to be the ideal plate current as worked from the makers data. This data is ALWAYS better than what you actually measure :)

Attachments

• 6N1 Plot.jpg
    6N1 Plot.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom