6N3, 6N3P, 6N3P-I, and 6N3P-E Question?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by bikingbuddha, Dec 31, 2017.

1. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

I've been browsing ebay to buy couple of tubes to see how they sound like on my 6N3 pre amp buffer which i bought recently. I am new to this tube thing and i have no idea what are those...? I have a feeling that these can be compatible but i wonder if there is a difference in sound.

How do they sound like...? Will they be better than stock 6N3 Chinese tubes? i like warm mellow sound :D

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

bikingbuddha likes this.
  3. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Lavane likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Super Member

5. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

6. Ttech

Ttech Grand Poobah Subscriber

I really like the Russian 6N3P tubes in my Maverick tube DACs. I like them better than the vintage 5670 tubes that I've tried.

CopperWizard and bikingbuddha like this.
  7. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Awesome... that's really good to hear you liked them. I already ordered a pair; let's see how i like them too. Thanks a lot for the info.

8. prelius

prelius AK Subscriber Subscriber

According to the Russian standards (GOST) the letters after the tube type signify the following:
    V (Russian "B") - increased anti-vibration characteristics/mechanical sturdiness.
    E (Russian "E") - increased longevity (guaranteed for over 5000 work hours, unless otherwise stated)
    D (Russian "Д") - extra longevity (guaranteed for over 10000 work hours)
    I (Russian "И") - optimized for high-frequency/impulse operations
    R (Russian "P") - hardened to work in increased radioactive environments.

Each tube can carry up to two suffixes, hence 6P14P-EV (6П14П-ЕВ), is a Russian EL-84 optimized to withstand increased mechanical (vibration) and electrical loads or to work 5000 hours or more under standard mechanical and/or electrical loads.

In terms of using 6N3P tubes I would strongly suggest using Russian ones instead of Chinese. One often overlooked feature of the 6N3P is that it's internal design is absolutely symmetrical (two triodes inside the bulb are mirror images of each other). Because of that, both triodes are close to each other in terms of their electrical parameters, and therefore, are easier to match.

Cheers, Paul

Ttech and bikingbuddha like this.
  9. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Thank you for sharing this valued information with us. I am sure plenty of people will find this very useful just like myself. I ordered two tubes just to try out and they are ending with E. I think without knowing i ordered long life ones. Awesome!! I will post how they sounds to me when i receive them.