6N3, 6N3P, 6N3P-I, and 6N3P-E Question?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by bikingbuddha, Dec 31, 2017.

1. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

I've been browsing ebay to buy couple of tubes to see how they sound like on my 6N3 pre amp buffer which i bought recently. I am new to this tube thing and i have no idea what are those...? I have a feeling that these can be compatible but i wonder if there is a difference in sound.

How do they sound like...? Will they be better than stock 6N3 Chinese tubes? i like warm mellow sound :D

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

bikingbuddha likes this.
  3. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Lavane likes this.
  4. tom3

tom3 Super Member

5. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

6. Ttech

Ttech Grand Poobah Subscriber

I really like the Russian 6N3P tubes in my Maverick tube DACs. I like them better than the vintage 5670 tubes that I've tried.

CopperWizard and bikingbuddha like this.
  7. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Awesome... that's really good to hear you liked them. I already ordered a pair; let's see how i like them too. Thanks a lot for the info.

8. prelius

prelius AK Subscriber Subscriber

According to the Russian standards (GOST) the letters after the tube type signify the following:
    V (Russian "B") - increased anti-vibration characteristics/mechanical sturdiness.
    E (Russian "E") - increased longevity (guaranteed for over 5000 work hours, unless otherwise stated)
    D (Russian "Д") - extra longevity (guaranteed for over 10000 work hours)
    I (Russian "И") - optimized for high-frequency/impulse operations
    R (Russian "P") - hardened to work in increased radioactive environments.

Each tube can carry up to two suffixes, hence 6P14P-EV (6П14П-ЕВ), is a Russian EL-84 optimized to withstand increased mechanical (vibration) and electrical loads or to work 5000 hours or more under standard mechanical and/or electrical loads.

In terms of using 6N3P tubes I would strongly suggest using Russian ones instead of Chinese. One often overlooked feature of the 6N3P is that it's internal design is absolutely symmetrical (two triodes inside the bulb are mirror images of each other). Because of that, both triodes are close to each other in terms of their electrical parameters, and therefore, are easier to match.

Cheers, Paul

Ttech and bikingbuddha like this.
  9. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

Thank you for sharing this valued information with us. I am sure plenty of people will find this very useful just like myself. I ordered two tubes just to try out and they are ending with E. I think without knowing i ordered long life ones. Awesome!! I will post how they sounds to me when i receive them.

Please register to disable this ad.

10. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

after long wait.... i just received the Russian 6N3P-E tubes which i ordered over the ebay. I switched them with 6N3 matisse clone preamp. I noticed a instant difference in sound. It seems more fuller, much warmer and bass is kind of bigger and heavier. I like the change it bought. I am thinking of running it for a while and see how things will turn up. I'd recommend 6N3P russian tubes over the stock ones anytime. I already ordered another several pairs of 6N3P-EV tubes, once they arrive i will try them on and keep them as a future back up tube. :))

11. Erhard-Audio

Erhard-Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

I really do like Russian tubes per se, I have a few in my setup and they do sound great. A lot can be somewhat microphonic, but unless you tap dance right next to the amp or preamp, I have not found that to be an issue. A lot of users 'tisk tisk' microphonic tubes, but like I said, I have no issues with them, as long as they sound good!

bikingbuddha likes this.
  12. mcgjohn

mcgjohn Member

If you like a warmer sound, the Russian versions of the same tube will usually sound much better. The Chinese tube mfgrs have gotten better over the years, but still do not think they match the Russians, unless you go for one of the exotic Chinese tubes....

several years ago, I went through a whole series of chinese tube amps; some were surprisingly quite good, but usually the first thing I would do after verifying the amps worked, was pull out the chinese tubes and install US, Euro or Russian tubes.

bikingbuddha likes this.
  13. bikingbuddha

bikingbuddha Member

I just received a lot of 6N3P-EV from Russia. I was using 6N3P-E before i received the EV lot. When i look closer the tubes looks slightly different inside. E has some metallic plate like thing inside while EV doesn't have anything like it. EV looks similar to the chines 6N3 stock tubes that came with pre-amp.

I am still doing a listening test to see which sounds better. I already feel EV sounds kind of slightly louder. Any idea which is better to use when it comes to the book...?

Thanks a lot.

6n3p-E.jpg

Above one is 6N3P-E which has that metal plate like thing.

6n3p-EV.jpg

This one is 6N3P-EV which doesnt' have that metal plate like thing.