7 Kappa Bass Question

lilwing

CAGE FREE AUDIO ZOO
Subscriber
The bass is very heavy. To the point of being a problem on tracks which are also bass heavy.
Even with the mids and tweeters cranked to max.
Anyone had or heard of this issue?
Suggestions?

Had same issue with Hard Rock. Metallica for instance. I ended up adjusting the speakers to nominal positions. Then I added a Equalizer, problem resolved. Some will cringe concerning the addition. But I enjoy the fine tweeking of my 7s. I feel I've been able to get more out of them by balancing the heavy bottom end. I'm sure there may be other ways by adjusting crossovers etc. But I found the EQ works for me.

Is it a product of the woofers themselves?
So did you roll off alot of lower frequency with your EQ?
I'm just running them from a DAC to amps. (no tone controls)

Yes, it balanced everything out. I centered the bass and treble on the amplifier. Then I tweaked the low end and a little on the high end on the eq. It didn't take much on either end to dial them in. Now, very well balanced.
The woofers on these sevens could change your heart rhythm if dialed up long enough. ;-) Certainly no subwoofers required on the 7s.
I'm using a vintage ADC equalizer. You can pick them up at a reasonable price just about anywhere.
Some of the very high end Infinitys come with there own equalizer to balance them out. There are many in the know concerning those speakers here on AK
Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:
The bass is very heavy. To the point of being a problem on tracks which are also bass heavy.
Suggestions?
Where is your listening position? I have a small room and the seating is close to the rear wall. I was having a similar issue with my Kappa 7’s and solved it by moving literally 1” more away from the wall and moving the speakers about 2 inches more out from the front wall. Got rid of 90% of the boominess.

Where is your listening position? I have a small room and the seating is close to the rear wall. I was having a similar issue with my Kappa 7’s and solved it by moving literally 1” more away from the wall and moving the speakers about 2 inches more out from the front wall. Got rid of 90% of the boominess.
I don't always have much discipline with my listening sweet spot and my room is medium but full of speakers. I will try re-positioning.
Yes, it balanced everything out. I centered the bass and treble on the amplifier. Then I tweaked the low end and a little on the high end on the eq. It didn't take much on either end to dial them in. Now, very well balanced.
The woofers on these sevens could change your heart rhythm if dialed up long enough. ;-) Certainly no subwoofers required on the 7s.
I'm using a vintage ADC equalizer. You can pick them up at a reasonable price just about anywhere.
Some of the very high end Infinitys come with there own equalizer to balance them out. There are many in the know concerning those speakers here on AK
Hope this was helpful.
Also I'm going to add a preamp for some tone control. Start looking for an EQ.

I don't always have much discipline with my listening sweet spot and my room is medium but full of speakers. I will try re-positioning.

FYI: I've owned a few Equalizers over the years. There was one that was really bad. It really did degrade the sound. When opening it to check the circuitry. There was very little to check. I don't remember the model, but I do remember it being a kenwood. I believe it was from the 1980s. I didn't resell it. I pitched it.
But I've had very good experiences with there Amplifiers. They have a clean sound and usually underrated concerning there power output.[ /QUOTE]

Last edited:
Suggestions?

The 7 was the first infinity speaker I owned and one of the things I thought it did best was bass

The level controls on the back did not make a large difference in output of the mid and highs.

Later A/B testing the 7 Kappa with JBLs really made the muted sound signature of the polydome and emit apparent

Another user has posted some threads recently with videos that allow the viewer to compare the sound signature from polydomes and EMITs used in the 7 Kappa with other infinity drivers — in those videos the 7 kappa drivers are noticeably unrevealing..

If you can, try comparing the 7 Kappa with another pair of speakers like JBLs or ADS and maybe that’ll help define just how differently the EMITS and polydomes are voiced

Last edited:
Not sure what amp you are using but they need something decent. Most receivers and lower tier amps will not take control of the woofer so you will be left with a lot of very flabby and undefined bass. Put a decent amp behind them and they tighten up and mesh better with mids.

The 7 was the first infinity speaker I owned and one of the things I thought it did best was bass

The level controls on the back did not make a large difference in output of the mid and highs.

Later A/B testing the 7 Kappa with JBLs really made the muted sound signature of the polydome and emit apparent

Another user has posted some threads recently with videos that allow the viewer to compare the sound signature from polydomes and EMITs used in the 7 Kappa with other infinity drivers — in those videos the 7 kappa drivers are noticeably unrevealing..

If you can, try comparing the 7 Kappa with another pair of speakers like JBLs or ADS and maybe that’ll help define just how differently the EMITS and polydomes are voiced
Do you have links to the threads? Or do you know the names of the threads? They should be interesting.

Not sure what amp you are using but they need something decent. Most receivers and lower tier amps will not take control of the woofer so you will be left with a lot of very flabby and undefined bass. Put a decent amp behind them and they tighten up and mesh better with mids.
I agree. I tried out six different amps with mine. I noticed them tighten up with the amps I tried ,when I used the 120wpc -150 wpc amps. I'm sure they would tighten up more if I upgraded to a 200wpc amp. But I am really happy with them with what I have now. Est. 150wpc at 4ohm.

As far as comparison,, They are positioned directly in front of cornerhorns which are bassy but much tighter and defined. Also against Cornwalls with the same approx result.
The Kappas seem very directional so yes there certainly is a listening sweet spot. (as with most speakers)

As far as amps. I bough these to run with 300 wpc/4ohm Class D amps. I've compared both pairs with these amps. Guess I could try a big SS receiver tho.

Don't own an EQ yet (I too ditched the Kenwood EQ) so I'll start with a preamp with a bass tone control. I'm considering a C-22.

Haven't ruled out different woofers. Have a couple pair of JBL laying around loose.

As far as comparison,, They are positioned directly in front of cornerhorns which are bassy but much tighter and defined. Also against Cornwalls with the same approx result.
The Kappas seem very directional so yes there certainly is a listening sweet spot. (as with most speakers)

As far as amps. I bough these to run with 300 wpc/4ohm Class D amps. I've compared both pairs with these amps. Guess I could try a big SS receiver tho.

Don't own an EQ yet (I too ditched the Kenwood EQ) so I'll start with a preamp with a bass tone control. I'm considering a C-22.

Haven't ruled out different woofers. Have a couple pair of JBL laying around loose.
McIntosh c-22 Pre Amp or Audio Control C-22 EQ or both?

Its all about making your system work with your room, otherwise, you are chasing a moving target. It is worth the effort to get it right. Extra speakers in the room can have a negative impact as well. I highly recommend Jim Smith's book, "Getting Better Sound". Some simple adjustments made a significant difference in how my system sounded.

Somethings not right. You should not have to replace woofers or need a eq. Have the crossovers been rebuilt? Just replacing the electrolytics gave the mids in mine a little more life. I have had mine setup in my listening room, and then brought them up to my office and they were equally good in both rooms. Its also possible that the 7s are pretty far off on the traits that you enjoy in a speaker. Nothing wrong with that either, we've all been there.

Back
Top Bottom