7 Kappa Bass Question

Have you just started using D Class amp.

I've just had one built and although I haven't received it yet the word is that it has a lot of bass.

Am worried about it already before I've even got it.

Have you just started using D Class amp.

I've just had one built and although I haven't received it yet the word is that it has a lot of bass.

Am worried about it already before I've even got it.
Don't worry. It's not the amps causing the boomy issue.
I defaulted to my khorns with the Ds and there's no problem there.
Congrats on moving to class D. Let us know how it works out.
What speakers will you use? I expect them to sound the same only better.
Maybe others are saying that because they've heard that Powered Subwoofers use class D.

Don't worry. It's not the amps causing the boomy issue.
I defaulted to my khorns with the Ds and there's no problem there.
Congrats on moving to class D. Let us know how it works out.
What speakers will you use? I expect them to sound the same only better.
Maybe others are saying that because they've heard that Powered Subwoofers use class D.
First will run it in second system comparing 150Watts SS into Infinity RS 6B.
Mainly I have it as a summer option to swap in for 40w tubes into Infinity RSM in the main rig.
The D class has been built specifically for the RSM and is rated at 180w into 4ohms.

Overdue Update: Took woofers to pro for evaluation. Found foams to be quite stiff. They've been refoamed and I'm picking them up tomorrow.

I had a similar problem with 6.1's but they are ported. They were more listenable to my ears by utilizing EQ or bi-amping or both. After many hours of break in with the new surrounds they started to mellow out. The Kappas are gone but I am dealing with the same problem to a lesser degree with my 3008 Crescendo series. I'm happy with just a -3dB EQ drop at 150Hz for now.

I think my culprit is cabinet vibration so floor spikes, better woofer mounting screws, and cabinet bracing are my planned upgrades before I dig into any crossover rework. Don't forget to check the phasing on the wiring to the woofers when you reinstall using the battery test. Also, since the 7s are acoustic suspension make sure the woofers and any other cabinet openings are sealed well.

EDIT I could see too tight surrounds transfer too much cone movement (vibration) to the cabinets as well. Keep us posted.

New foam surrounds did the trick.
Playing now with 300wpc class 5 monoblocks.
Bass is very lively and responsive. Not heavy and thick. Great low frequency response.

A big thanks to everyone who chimed in to my thread. I've learned alot about Infinity speakers from Y'all.
Your Brother in audio
del

I'm listening to the 7 kappas more and more. My hi res files are hooked to them and it's just so easy to click a mouse a couple times for music.
I'm not using a preamp. Simply flac files to my Pro-Ject DAC to class D amps to Kappas.
I had never imagined that foam surrounds could be so stiff so as to cause the cones to distort.
Anyway I really dig this setup.
Thanks again for all the brainstorming.

Back
Top Bottom