8-Track Vs. Cassette

In fairness, the 8 track format does have one (and identically one) thing going for it: a tape speed of 3-3/4 ips (vs. 1-7/8 ips for cassette). The worst intrinsic flaw of the 8-track format is probably the design/execution of its continuous-loop configuration.

8 tracks had two serious design flaws working against them. First, the heads move, which means that eventually they're going to go out of alignment (many decks played across tracks over time). Second, the tape is in constant motion against itself, over time it's going to wear, and also demagnetize itself.

I just never saw it as a viable long term format. For me, cassette wins.

My .02,

bs

Re the head alignment issue: I have a small collection of New Old Stock car stereo head units. Mostly from when they were dual shaft types. The GM-Delco models that are 8-tracks even have an external hole in the top of the metal case to adjust the head. That tells me that it must have been a frequent issue. (Although these things are built like TANKS generally!!)

But even the demo tape that came with those decks didnt sound all that hot, and I'm sure the material was picked to be amoung the best, sound wise.

8 tracks harken back to summers of sitting on the hood of my car listening to Pink Floyd under the influence of.... but they were crappy things they rattled poor sound I had a recorder but it died. I bought some records last year and the guy threw 2 8 track players one a nice pioneer, a portable 8 track player and a bunch of tapes they sounded like doo poo. I may still have one player and a tape for conversation purposes but if you like them and I guess if you get some tapes that didn't live in the trunk for years and don't have beer spilled on them they would sound ok most I see are burnt toast in the thrift stores. They are very retro conversation pieces and quite a few are found on ebay I would asy RTR #1 by far Casette ( a nice high end one) verygood and mayber close to a RTR even better that some RTR ( bottom feeder decks) but 8 track very far last just better that my 1912 Victrola naww not even that good:lmao:
Dwight

Actually those ol' Pioneer Supertuner AM-FM 8-tracks weren't bad sounding (for what they were) and they looked great (in a '70s way). A good friend in high school had one of the early ones (with the backlighted blackout radio dial); the later ones were "all silver" a la the SX-450 and up series of home receivers.

ahh, memories...

Ah, An 8-track with a spring reverb! wowwwowwwowwwooowww!

They sound better in mono!

8 track - ....You had a nice wide tape with 3 3/4 IIPS speed...

seriously? I always assumed it was 1 7/8 ips at MOST judging from the atrocious sound quality. Are you sure it was 3 3/4? if so then there is absolutely no excuse why it always sounded so incredibly bad on most playback systems.

I've heard some 8 track quad records ripped to cd that sounded great, but I suspect that is a somewhat different grade of component and tape than what we're talking about here. not to mention being dual 4 track recordings instead of 4 stereo recordings per tape... which wouldn't theoretically mean it would be any better sounding, but does show that the machines used were different at least.

does everyone hate the 8-track format, or do you guys just like cassettes better?

Thanks for the responses, its interesting to see what people have to say on the subject.

for me, cassette isn't all that great either, but with extensive noise reduction and really good calibration with a really good performing deck it can sound great. 8 track never sounded anywhere near as good as that to my ears, even those quad albums I just raved about in my previous post.

LP blows all of the consumer tape formats away (assuming you don't count reel to reel as a consumer product).

8 track at its best can get up to about 13kHz, but most units are doing well to make it past 10KHz. Cassette at its best can do between 22kHz and 24kHz. A lower-end 80s vintage deck could typicaly do at least 15kHz. What exactly is there to debate?

Not 100% accurate. Most decks can only go up to 12khz, but I do have one rated to 16khz. And it does sound clearer then most 8 track decks I've listened to. Though cassettes can go up to 24 khz, its at -20db which is way down from the +6db the lower audio portion is recorded at. Cassettes roll off too, but slower then 8 tracks.

That said I still prefer cassettes and would give the nod to reel to reel to top them all. Nothing like reel to reel tape at 15 ips.

My biggest issue with 8-tracks is the tape hiss. I noticed that some 8 track recorders have dobly but i have not seen any tapes that were dobly encoded. I think if the got rid of the tape noise it might have been more popular.

Loved the kitch value of 8-tracks. Hated the constant failure, from shedding to pads falling off to wheels turning to gummy tar.

The 8-track went from being a fun and nifty thing to a royal pain in the arse, trying to fix/clean/splice tapes, clean that gooey tar from aged wheels that gets into the player, etc.

Not a fan of cassette either. Much improved reliability, sound and whatnot, but still not something that wows me.

Reel to reel is lotsa fun, but I only seem to play mine at the holiday season.

Just to clarify (since there was some incredulity expressed): yes, Virginia the tape speed for 8-track is 3-3/4 ips, and the tape width is 1/4". These are good things. The bad things are the cartridge design and the use of 8 tracks on a 1/4" tape; the width of individual tracks is narrow (similar to cassette). Net result: sonic mediocrity. That said, there were some decent sounding consumer 8-track recorders.

http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-cartridges/
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/015-cassettes/

According to the Richard Hess site (see links above), the width of cassette tape is 0.15" (about 1/7 of an inch) vs. the standard 1/4" (0.25") tape width of 8-track tape. Each track on an 8 track looks to be 0.021" (0.53 mm) wide; each track on 4-track (stereo) cassette tape looks to be almost exactly the same (spec'd at 0.6 +/- 0.025 mm; 0.6 mm is about 0.24")

EDIT: speaking of the (later) Pioneer Supertuners...

http://vintage-original-ads.com/Pictures/albums/uploads/1977-Pioneer-Super-Tuner.jpg
1977-Pioneer-Super-Tuner.jpg

(sorry this one's a cassette...)

Last edited:
thats a cool looking unit. if i had a classic car, id try to find one. Thanks for the image and links.

does everyone hate the 8-track format, or do you guys just like cassettes better?

I am going to remain neutral in this thead, as there are some very strong negative feelings against them and don't want to start an arguement. Not everyone hates the format. You'll need to do a search to find some of the other threads that have more of a balance of positive as well as negative views.

I think that 8-track tapes can sound really good if 1)the machine is of good quality and maintained properly, and 2)the tapes are in good condition. That being said, I think that the 8-track tape format is the most problematic and requires much more maintenance both for the decks and the tapes than any other format.

If one just plans on buying a "good working deck"(according to the seller), but not recently serviced properly, and some tapes that have not been recently repaired, and just plans on playing them out of the box, then one is in for a major disappointment. Nearly all of the decks that have never been properly maintained recently and near all of the tapes are going to need fixing. Otherwise they will likely sound bad, really bad.:puke:

Last edited:
I never bonded with cassettes like I did with 8-tracks. My old Caddy has an 8-track player, and it's a real hoot to pop in a tape. I restore/make all my 8-T tapes, and keep my players (and recorder) in top shape.

Lets see, I have a Pioneer, a Wollensak, and an Akai 4 channel 8 track. And I have about 100 tapes I listen to in the garage. So yeah, I'm a fan of the format. IN IT'S DAY, it was the king of car audio. My only real problem is the crap tension pads and the cheap splices. I must have 50 tapes that need rebuilding.
As for sound quality, the cassette wins hands down. But somehow, a cassette player just don't seem right in a 1968 Mustang convertible.

Back
Top Bottom