80's Realistic receiver owners: your opinion needed

Man, I really need to get this thing looked at. Just reading through I got to reminiscing about just how much I liked its sound. I'm in the middle of selling off much of my collection, so that'll give me the money to get it looked at and/or restored...One day! :p Sure did love the sound while I had it in my system though...

I just went on to YouTube and there is a newer video about the STA-2290 on there, which also addresses the heat issue in these. Looks to be an idle current issue (that I have heard/suspect was set way too high on these from the factory). Pretty basic stuff, but electronics are all Swahili to me. Overall a good video though.

I had a 2290. It ran hot and appeared to be gutless. I had no respect for it so I plugged my very thirsty Fisher XP10 speakers into it. Turned it up plenty loud while cleaning all over the house. It lasted about 45 minuets before the smoke came out and it went dead. Pulled the plug, in the trash.
Switched to the 1974 45 watt STA-120B with the Fishers, ran plenty loud and cool for several hours. Problem solved, house cleaned.
I'm soured on mid 80's now. Justified or not.

I had a 2290. It ran hot and appeared to be gutless. I had no respect for it so I plugged my very thirsty Fisher XP10 speakers into it. Turned it up plenty loud while cleaning all over the house. It lasted about 45 minuets before the smoke came out and it went dead. Pulled the plug, in the trash.
Switched to the 1974 45 watt STA-120B with the Fishers, ran plenty loud and cool for several hours. Problem solved, house cleaned.
I'm soured on mid 80's now. Justified or not.

With the STA-2290 and the STA-2500 and STA-2600, as well as a couple others from this era, seems like they all had the same heat issue right out of the box. I remember someone posting here on AK about how their idle current was notoriously set way too high from the factory. I always suspected this was the case and this video helps to confirm that. This issue is easily remedied by a technician. It's not a design flaw at all, but simply (but unfortunately) a misjudgement/maladjustment at the factory. I plan on having my STA-2290 gone through and/or completely restored. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

I always wanted to try one of those STA-120s though. It's been said they were made by Hitachi back in the day. Open it up and apparently it's littered with Hitachi-branded parts (look for Hitachi logos all over the place). Hitachi made some good stuff back in the day though.

Cheers.

I've had some warm running units but 160+ degrees for something that isn't covered in massive heat sinks and designed to run in class a seems insane to me. Definitely worth a look at the bias before it goes poof.
Cool looking though and worth making sure it's healthy. I've got a huge soft spot for RS gear and try to take care of any that I happen to see.

I've had some warm running units but 160+ degrees for something that isn't covered in massive heat sinks and designed to run in class a seems insane to me. Definitely worth a look at the bias before it goes poof.
Cool looking though and worth making sure it's healthy. I've got a huge soft spot for RS gear and try to take care of any that I happen to see.

Yep, 166.8F at that. I literally haven't had it hooked up since that day though. That was 2 years ago now, but the sound made an impression on me and I haven't forgotten what it sounded like. It made enough of an impression to say that it was one of the best receivers/amplifiers I have ever had in my system. And I have owned probably over 100 different vintage and modern amps and receivers by now. Some of which into the four figure range and the sound of that Realistic impressed me enough to hold on to it, despite being unusable in its current (no pun intended) operating condition. It will get looked at eventually, but unfortunately, life has got in the way of getting some of the projects done that I have sitting on the back burner. It's a keeper though. And yeah, it has sort of a cool transitional era look to it, which is kind of neat. Very unlike anything else I own. It should be a good day when I get it up and running again. :)

Cheers.

I have the STA-2700 which I bought for a song cuz of the "BPC" mindset. It was recently in rotation and I've never noticed any heat problems. Ditto the STA-2500, which looks less "BPC" and more Eighties and the only problem is the stereo light doesn't come on.

I have the STA-2700 which I bought for a song cuz of the "BPC" mindset. It was recently in rotation and I've never noticed any heat problems. Ditto the STA-2500, which looks less "BPC" and more Eighties and the only problem is the stereo light doesn't come on.

You still have that STA-2500 in your rotation?

It's actually in continuous service in a kid's room. Thermal management is apparently not the most aggressive.

View attachment 1257376

Might want to switch those two components, even if it is running cool. :oops: Nice unit though. :) I've always wanted to try one (or the STA-2600), especially after my experience with the STA-2290. I've missed out on a couple of them in the last few years, but I'm always on the lookout for one. From what I have always heard about them and from my experience with the STA-2290, they are greatly underrated IMHO.

Back when I was selling them (1969-1974), it was rumoured that the Realistic receivers, with a couple of exceptions, were made by Hitachi. Pretty sure there was a thread here a month or so ago
from an engineer that worked for Tandy during that time period and he named the maker...not Hitachi. Not germain to this discussion, but the STA-45B, 46 and 47 were likely Sherwood,
and there was one Fisher (might have been 4-channel) in the line back then.

Back when I was selling them (1969-1974), it was rumoured that the Realistic receivers, with a couple of exceptions, were made by Hitachi. Pretty sure there was a thread here a month or so ago
from an engineer that worked for Tandy during that time period and he named the maker...not Hitachi. Not germain to this discussion, but the STA-45B, 46 and 47 were likely Sherwood,

You got a link to that thread? I'd like to have a look at it.

My sta-47 looks almost like a twin to the s7100a Sherwood.

Have you checked DC offset? That's easy to do.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-distortion-dc-offset-and-you.5634/

It may be that model just runs hot or there may be an issue that needs to be addressed. Like I said, I've never noticed my 2600 running particularly hot, but it does pump out the power. I'd be surprised if the 2290 is rated for 100 wpc but didn't produce it out of the factory.

I just went on to YouTube and there is a newer video about the STA-2290 on there, which also addresses the heat issue in these. Looks to be an idle current issue (that I have heard/suspect was set way too high on these from the factory). Pretty basic stuff, but electronics are all Swahili to me. Overall a good video though.

Do this, or have it done for you. If you like the way that it sounds now, giving it a tuneup will not only let it run cool and be more reliable, it will make it sound cleaner and simply better overall.

Do this, or have it done for you. If you like the way that it sounds now, giving it a tuneup will not only let it run cool and be more reliable, it will make it sound cleaner and simply better overall.

If it'll make it sound cleaner and better overall, it's going to be a great day when I get it adjusted! :D

Do you know any AK members near you? Ask around. Someone may be willing and able to help you. Making those adjustments is not terribly difficult. An hour or so on the bench, some good conversation, then lunch and a cold adult beverage. It sounds like the makings for a great time with an AK friend. What could be better?

Do you know any AK members near you? Ask around. Someone may be willing and able to help you. Making those adjustments is not terribly difficult. An hour or so on the bench, some good conversation, then lunch and a cold adult beverage. It sounds like the makings for a great time with an AK friend. What could be better?

Not that I know of. I haven't run across anyone from my area that does tech work. It's all beyond me and my capabilities, but I'll definitely get it up and going again. :) I think if I can get the idle current set right so I can run it, I'll have a listen and if it still sounds as good as I remember it, it'll probably be a piece I'll have completely re-capped. From what I remember of its sound I was impressed, so if that still holds true after the adjustments, it'll get the full treatment. Sadly, it needs a new speaker terminals though. The ones that are on there are buggered up. I'll have to look around for a replacement before I get it looked at. From what I remember of its sound, it's worth it IMO.

Cheers. :)

Purchased new in 1992 a STA-2700, for a quick system in bedroom after my Mac dealer offered me a set of floor model XRT-18`s for a very attractive price.
Went into the Receiver disconnected the power amp section input, also disconnected the phono input jacks from internal phono stage, so the jacks could be wired up to the receiver`s preamp/tuner`s output for better external amplifier connection(2 mono`d Crown DC 300`s).
And used it in that modified configuration until my Mac dealer called me up and offered to sell me a abandoned & partially paid for layaway Mac preamp & tuner from one of his customers, which were more modern than my existing Mac pre/tuner being used in my main living room`s system.
So I swapped out the new Mac for the old and installed the old in bedroom.

Now I had the RS STA-2700 with no home, but realized that I could return the receiver back to normal internal configuration(less the phono reconnection) and use it in my spare bedroom for my all day music.
That receiver has not needed any repairs(or even spraying the 4 analog controls) ,or any internal adjustments since it`s purchase.
It runs 24/7, and has not been powered down for close to 20 years driving 2 Minimus 7`s and a RS passive 12" subwoofer and is playing as I type this, as it does every day, all day at around 80db SPL since installation and sounds quite good.
It runs warm, but not hot.
It is the second receiver that I`ve ever owned in my life, since I chose to go the separate`s route, in 1977.

I don`t know, or really care who made it for RS, but I have no complaints about it`s quality & the included remote is very handy for muting to take a phone call.

FWIW folks.

Take care, and enjoy the music.
Kind regards, OKB

Purchased new in 1992 a STA-2700, for a quick system in bedroom after my Mac dealer offered me a set of floor model XRT-18`s for a very attractive price.
Went into the Receiver disconnected the power amp section input, also disconnected the phono input jacks from internal phono stage, so the jacks could be wired up to the receiver`s preamp/tuner`s output for better external amplifier connection(2 mono`d Crown DC 300`s).
And used it in that modified configuration until my Mac dealer called me up and offered to sell me a abandoned & partially paid for layaway Mac preamp & tuner from one of his customers, which were more modern than my existing Mac pre/tuner being used in my main living room`s system.
So I swapped out the new Mac for the old and installed the old in bedroom.

Now I had the RS STA-2700 with no home, but realized that I could return the receiver back to normal internal configuration(less the phono reconnection) and use it in my spare bedroom for my all day music.
That receiver has not needed any repairs(or even spraying the 4 analog controls) ,or any internal adjustments since it`s purchase.
It runs 24/7, and has not been powered down for close to 20 years driving 2 Minimus 7`s and a RS passive 12" subwoofer and is playing as I type this, as it does every day, all day at around 80db SPL since installation and sounds quite good.
It runs warm, but not hot.
It is the second receiver that I`ve ever owned in my life, since I chose to go the separate`s route, in 1977.

I don`t know, or really care who made it for RS, but I have no complaints about it`s quality & the included remote is very handy for muting to take a phone call.

FWIW folks.

Take care, and enjoy the music.
Kind regards, OKB

Cool beans, man. :) Always nice to hear from an original owner! For you to run it everyday for your all day music and still enjoy its sound is pretty impressive considering you're a Mac guy. While I am sure the Realistic is not in the same league as your Mac gear, to still enjoy listening to it all day after all these years like that is pretty amazing. Colour me impressed. It just goes to show the quality of design put into some of Radio Shack's gear. Even if they were designed and made for them. I always wondered about those later STA-2700s. Thanks for the writeup and happy listening! :music:

Cheers.

About those speaker terminals, if the “B” speaker terminals are in good condition just use them instead of the “A” terminals until you get around to fixing them. They are identical.

About those speaker terminals, if the “B” speaker terminals are in good condition just use them instead of the “A” terminals until you get around to fixing them. They are identical.

Oh, I know. :) It's been awhile since I've looked at the back of it now, but I seem to remember both A and B terminals were buggered up and in pretty shaky condition. I remember having to be careful about hooking up the speaker wires and keeping them from touching each other to keep from shorting out! lol It wasn't quite that bad, but I still had to be careful. It was part of why got it at a good price though. It's a part that I should be able to find on ePrey or something. I'm sure enough of them were used on other receivers that one should pop up eventually. :)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom