9090DB wow

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
I've got this receiver that a friend was given because he says we both learn and work through issues but I think he brought it over because I know how to get answers and do the work to make it work.

I've got it hooked up to a pair of DQ-10s, main rig skip the electronic crossover, extra amp and sub for now, just the speakers. Using FM as I have a decent station to enjoy, XPN.org with new on air folks and all.

April is guitar month and they have been playing some tunes featuring good guitar work. Anyway, I'm in the other room and hear a Fleetwood Mac song, World Turning. When the bass drum came in I was startled at how good it sounded. I had to check to see if the tone controls or loudness were on. No tone controls but the loudness was on, still sounded great. Since the unit is mostly background music, loudness is appropriate. I cranked it up to enjoy that. Some of the best bass I have heard from the DQ-10s. Part of the reason the unit has been hooked up for a week and a half...as I get around to setting the bias.

I had an 8080, once I got the bias and DC offset adjusted it sounded great. It had a hard life before it came to me, and needed a little TLC. :)

If I remember correctly, the service manual has a typo that complicated things.

One of the best sounding receivers of the 70s.I had one and would still have but I moved on from 70s receivers as my main units.

They're effortless and have the best going on in that early Sansui sound. (Can only imagine the pairing with the sound stage of those 10s'.)

I just mine hooked up to some AR3's here in the great room....and I am floored! Now I have the G-8000 down here and it is recapped....and although it is damn nice...this 9090DB is a step above. I can't explain it....but the crispness and clarity it brings to the 3's is amazing plus the strength of sound....crazy.
And I have a 9090 in the bedroom...so not like I haven't heard Sansui's...but I am left a little speechless....wow!...20170501_174933.jpg

I know exactly what you are saying. It's been 12 years from my first one and I am still amazed what that reciver is capable of.✌️

I have the G-8000 down here and it is recapped....and this 9090DB is a step above. I can't explain it....but the crispness and clarity it brings to the 3's is amazing plus the strength of sound....crazy.

It is that extra 5 wpc rated power!!

Last edited:
I have a 9090 and 9090DB, I consider them the best sounding 100 wpc and up receivers ever made, and I've owned many others. I hooked the 9090 up to my Klipsch CF-3's and was blown away with the open detail, and very powerful bass.

I recently traded a Dynaco ST-70 for a 9090db and while I haven't ended my love affair with tubes I must say that I'm very impressed. This thing sounds great at normal listening volumes but in my opinion it really shines at high volumes. This is my first really high-powered amp and I'm curious how people feels it holds up to modern ss separates? My speakers are Hales Concept Twos. Some people feel that Hales speakers can be on the edge of bright and overly detailed so a 70s high-powered receiver seems like a good match (and sounds incredible). What do the ss separates people think?

Also I know this is a little off topic but do any Hales owners have experience running something like the 9090db and high-powered tube systems through their speakers? How would you compare the two?

Back
Top Bottom