94kHz 24bit iPod Classic Pure i20 Integration?

jviss

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings,

I've searched this forum, Pure's web site, HDTracks' website, and the web in general, and I can't seem to synthesize a solution to my system design goal.

I have an iPod Classic, 120GB, 2009 generation. It's on Pure's supported device list.

Pure i20. Pure asserts support to 192kHz, 24 bit.

I have a few albums purchased from HDTtracks, 96kHz, 24bit, downloaded in FLAC format.

What I would like to do is get the 96kHz, 24 bit tracks onto the iPod and play them on the i20. One would imagine this is possible, since the i20 is an iPod dock, and it supports that resolution.

In addition, I want to make sure that there is no digital volume control function affecting the dynamic range, I want the full dynamic range from the i20's analog output going to my analog preamp.

I realize this may not be simple, and may require file conversion. The problem I've had so far is that iTunes won't synch anything except file formats it knows the iPod will natively support, or so it seems.

I'd love to figure this out today!

Thanks very much,

jv

From my experience Ipods cannot play above 16bit 44.1khz, however I do not know if that applies to pulling the digital signal off the Ipod. I only know when using an Ipod normally you cannot play over 16bit.

FLAC is the problem. The iPod cannot play any FLAC songs. I suggest going to apple lossless as it is pretty much the same quality as wav and FLAC. Some like to argue it isn't but to my ears they are.

Using a dock for the ipod you also bypass its preamp, but not its DAC. I believe the i-20 does the right conversion/reclocking/whatever that claims to bypass the DAC. So that means you will get the highest quality music if the dock is turned all the way up when going into your pre.

Two issues with the iPods. One, they don't play FLAC files natively. Second issue is they are limited to 48/24 sampling rate.

I have not personally tried this yet but just got the Pure I-20 myself:

http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-convert-flac-to-apple-lossless-audio.html

Currently using Pandora (subscriber with the higher bit-rate) and I am pleasantly surprised at the RCA jack quality through an IPOD Touch 32GB (2nd gen I got for free due to a broken head-phone jack).

I plan on trying this conversion this week, time permitting.

Greetings,

I've searched this forum, Pure's web site, HDTracks' website, and the web in general, and I can't seem to synthesize a solution to my system design goal.

I have an iPod Classic, 120GB, 2009 generation. It's on Pure's supported device list.

Pure i20. Pure asserts support to 192kHz, 24 bit.

I have a few albums purchased from HDTtracks, 96kHz, 24bit, downloaded in FLAC format.

What I would like to do is get the 96kHz, 24 bit tracks onto the iPod and play them on the i20. One would imagine this is possible, since the i20 is an iPod dock, and it supports that resolution.

In addition, I want to make sure that there is no digital volume control function affecting the dynamic range, I want the full dynamic range from the i20's analog output going to my analog preamp.

I realize this may not be simple, and may require file conversion. The problem I've had so far is that iTunes won't synch anything except file formats it knows the iPod will natively support, or so it seems.

I'd love to figure this out today!

Thanks very much,

jv

Ipods can play Apples ALAC lossless, which is just as good as FLAC. Lossless is lossless. You can covert FLAC files to ALAC lossless files using dbpower converter. That's what i use. But the Classic will only support up to 24/48 - that's it. I have a Classic also, and i too have some hi-rez files, but like i said they are limited to 24/48.

Jimmy

I see that and I have to admit the spec's are loosely defined in Apple's site. Now, I found this info:

"Can an iPod play 24bit FLACs? --no, but my 2nd generation iPod Touch can play 24bit Apple Lossless files. If you have FLAC files, you can convert them using a really nice utility called X Lossless Decoder (XLD) which makes bit perfect conversions from FLAC to Apple Lossless and back again. You can download from here --> http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2494325?start=0&tstart=0

I am still in the discovering phase but streaming Pandora through the RCA outputs into my Marantz 3300 is pretty good right now. I will be researching this thoroughly. Looks like 44.1 KHz is the max right? So I will not download HD Tracks yet.

Look at my response above yours. The ipod Classic can do a max of 24/48. Covert your FLACs to Aplles ALAC lossless using dbPower converter. It works. I have my ipod Classic filled with 24/48 files.

Jimmy

Look at my response above yours. The ipod Classic can do a max of 24/48. Covert your FLACs to Aplles ALAC lossless using dbPower converter. It works. I have my ipod Classic filled with 24/48 files.

Jimmy

I missed that, my bad. Will try it myself tomorrow. :D

Back
Top Bottom