1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

$99 Topping D30 ( DSD ) DAC + A30

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Poultrygeist, Jul 4, 2017.

1. mitchrl

mitchrl AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been using my D30 with my Note 3 phone and a generic android tablet with no issues. I do have a question concerning power. Can I power my devices by utilizing a usb hub between the D30 and my android devices? Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

It would be good to know if these are all made by Topping, just different revisions, or if they are copies made by someone else.

Eric

3. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Mine will be here 1/4/18. I'll open the case and look. I do have access to pics of the first edition and the later boards.

E.Auer likes this.
  4. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

I had mine for a while, and never opened it. Ebay purchase.

Great sounding DAC, now I'm curious to pop it open tho haha.

Eric

opa1 likes this.
  5. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eric

Poultrygeist, Donal64 and opa1 like this.
  6. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Looks legit to me. The relay change and a cap addition from the first series pics. Chips are the same. If it sounds good no worries. :)

7. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

My D30 came in today. It was a little bright/harsh when I first started using it. It has changed for the better after a few hours use. Very nice build quality.

Poultrygeist, rogerfederer and E.Auer like this.
  8. cvt01

cvt01 New Member

I'm wondering if the Topping DX7 at 4x the price delivered an SQ improvement over this? I need a second DAC and I'm looking for an upgrade but the price should stay below $500. The DX7 has all the features I need.

9. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

You would think it an upgrade for the higher price but who knows. The DX7 is loaded with features: balanced, remote, headphone amp, dual ESS and four channel. With enough interest the massdrop price should show up pretty soon.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx7

10. gvl

gvl Super Member

Looks like it dropped once already there were reports on head-fi, price $319.

11. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Did you ever solve the issue?

12. cvt01

cvt01 New Member

I switched to Volumio and I no longer have the problem... I have no idea if it is related but it seems the DAC works fine.

13. gvl

gvl Super Member

Not directly related, but I tried to get Daphile going on a vintage PC and it had major issues with UAC2 USB devices. Volumio works like a champ, not a single hiccup. SQ is very good, same if not better than JRiver MC. Especially true for Spotify via librespot.

E.Auer likes this.
  14. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

listening to mine. sounding better and better!

opa1 and E.Auer like this.
  15. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

16. Poultrygeist

I've now spent several months listening to the Topping D30 through the very revealing SET powered Lowthers (shown below). During this time I've swapped my Schiit Modi MB in and out of the system in order to compare the two. Without going into a lengthy explanation I can say that I prefer the D30 over the Schiit. Had I known just how good the D30 was I would not have bought the Modi which cost $150 more. If you're on the fence with these two it's an easy choice.

There are a couple of different D30 boards out there and I've only heard the one from massdrop which I know is legit.

PA020012 2.jpg

stish and E.Auer like this.

17. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Or if buying from Amazon, order through Shenzhen Audio.

18. macgolf

macgolf Beethoven 2004 - 2018 Subscriber

I ordered mine from Amazon 2 weeks ago today and it arrived 2 days later due to the Monday holiday. It came in a Topping box and I have no reason to believe it is not legit. I doubt I'll open it up while under warranty to find out. Other than a small hiccup with the drivers for my Windows 8.1 desktop, (my pc didn't have winrar software to unzip the driver) it is performing flawlessly. I am enjoying the refinement of the bottom end. I appreciate all who contributed to this and other threads and saved some coin for myself and others. I wasn't prepared for the amount of gain the D30 adds, but I'm experimenting with volume positions between my power units and the D30.

stish and E.Auer like this.
  19. gvl

gvl Super Member

How about a short explanation?

20. Poultrygeist

I have two separate OB systems and the speakers are shown in my avatar. The H-frames now feature 12" Zenith Alnico's instead of the Tang Bands as well as different tweeters. I've often had difficulty deciding which system I prefer and few days go by that I don't listen to both. For weeks now I've been swapping the Topping and Schiit between the two system and listening intently while making mental notes. I use the same streaming source and my preference is always with the system where the Topping is playing.

The Topping uses the same Cirus CS4398 as my Marantz SA8004 which costs ten times it's price. I can't say the chip makes a difference but I do believe the Topping like the Marantz is more detailed than the Modi but without sounding clinical. The Modi reminds me of that warm sound that I get from my Rotel 855 which uses the TDA 1541.The Topping has little to no coloration and it's soundstage seems deeper. Regardless of the system the music is streamed through the D30 sounds livelier. I can see why folks like the Modi MB as it seems very smooth and a bit more laid back than the D30.